Saturday, June 20, 2015

DC: Hot Temps and Hotter Security

This weekend I decided to treat myself to a mini, pre-#rayrayseurovacay2; I went on, shall we say #rayraysDCweekendgetaway. I just love making hashtags for these. #sorrynotsorry. But anyway, there was no specific reason I went except that I wanted to. With all the traveling I did last summer on #rayrayspacNWvacay I had racked up enough credit with hotels.com to earn a free nights stay in any hotel in the US up to $250 a night. Pretty sweet, right? Well, the offer expired July 17 and since I'll be in Europe then, I had to act on this before then if I wanted to use it. I thought about using it on a staycation in NYC but quickly decided against that. I figured it was only right to spend money to save money (as so many of us do) so I was going to use this and make a fun weekend of it. The only decision now was choosing between Boston and DC and find a weekend with no race or event. Well, this weekend was the only one, and DC it was. I've been watching a ridiculous amount of Scandal lately on Netflix so seeing all the beautiful the DC scenery made my decision super easy. Olivia Pope, I was coming for a visit. 

I booked my hotel and bus ticket and started getting pumped. Finally, this weekend came, after a socially stressful/frustrating (boy-related, ugh) yet professionally boring last two weeks. I rushed to catch my 5:00 Megabus on Friday and of course, as per usual with my modes of travel, it was delayed an hour (due to traffic). I was originally supposed to get into DC at 9:15 and had planned to go for a little night stroll to wind down, but because of the delay I didn't get in until 10:45. Luckily my hotel was like 2 blocks from Union Station so I got there quickly. At that point I just decided to go to bed since I had a 6:30 alarm set for my morning run.  

Side note : Have I ever mentioned how much I love staying in hotel rooms alone? I fucking love it!! It makes me feel so grown-up. Sure, I have my very own apartment in NYC, but solo hotel stays are always so fun for me!

I couldn't wait to get up early and run to all the national monuments and sites before all the other tourists were out there. Sometimes this is one of the best and one of my favorite ways to see a city. I hadn't been to DC in almost four years, and before that, my eighth grade trip so I was pumped to see it all again (had I not mentioned that?) and with fresh eyes! 

I didn't even need my 6:30 alarm going off this morning because I was so excited to get up. This always happens when I travel and I love it. I wake up each morning so excited to take on the day. It's truly an awesome feeling and I can't wait for it again in Europe. Anyway, I got up at 6:15 and got ready to head out on my run. I had nine miles on the training plan for today and had every intention of getting them done, even in 85% humidity. I decided I wanted to see as many of the monuments and sites as I could before all the other tourists got out and I did just that. Throughout my entire run I had this permanent goofy-happy grin on my face. Each site I passed was an ooooh and ahhhh from myself. Even though I've seen them all before, it's been a few years so it had been a while. I started out from my hotel and passed the Capitol building first (unfortunately covered in scaffolding) the Newseum, National Archive, many Smithsonian museums, the White House, the Washington Monument and and finally made it to the Lincoln Memorial. I climbed the steps, said hello to honest Abe, took a bunch of pics and continued on my way. I headed over the river to Arlington and ran to Arlington National Cemetery. I didn't think I'd make it there this trip (no need as I went last time and it isn't the most convenient) but my run took me over there by accident and I was so glad it did. I headed back into DC then over the find the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial and the Benjamin Franklin Memorial. Somehow on the journey I must have missed the MLK Memorial which was a bummer. Then I continued back toward the Washington Monument and to the WWII Memorial. I covered hella ground. Finally, it was time to get a Gatorade, a chocolate milk and head back to my hotel to shower. I was absolutely soaked with sweat but so happy I got my long run in and passed so many of the sites I wanted to see. It was like everywhere I looked were reminders of Scandal and The American President and I loved every second of it. It was pretty awesome!! Nine miles (prob a bit more) done and done.

I quickly showered, put on my best United States flag tank top (to show my patriotism, naturally) then met up with my cousin who lives in DC. We walked around a bit and caught up. I wanted to head back to the White House and WWII monument for better pictures and get some corny ones too. Duh! I'm always so shocked at all the security over there. I shouldn't be, but it's intimidating. I mean, there are freaking snipers on the roof of the White House. Kind of scary. But they are ultimately protecting all of us. And also, just my observation over and over again: DC has some of the best looking security guards and secret service men. Dayum. They are hot. And speaking of hot, it was fucking hot outside; 97 degree heat index. Needless to say, I never stopped profusely sweating all day. So much for the rain that was predicted. We parted ways after about an hour and I continued in my merry way. I decided to go Smithsonian American history to re-see the Inaguaration dress of the First Ladies exhibit. I've seen it before, but didn't mind popping in the AC to see it again. Nothing much else there or at any of the other Smithsonians was worth going to see again. And I also didn't need to go back to the National Archives to see the Declaration of Independence since I've done that before. 

So next on my agenda, I decided that I would try to go see the MLK monument, but once I realized how far it was, I re-thought that. I was getting hungry too and hungry is not a good look on me, especially in heat. I had seen many pictures on Instagram of this place called Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken and decided I would go there. I usually do not like hot food or sweets when I am so hot, but I really wanted to try this so I did and it was the freaking bomb. I got a chicken sandwich on a plain doughnut, and a maple bacon doughnut. No wonder I'm such a fat beast. Geez. But it was absolutely delicious and when all was said and done, I put in minimally twenty miles today so whatever. YOLO, right? When I complain why I'm so fat, this is the reason. Although I would never eat something like this at home, I'm on vacay so rationalized it. Ok, I'm done ranting. 

After my delicious lunch, I walked back to the Capitol because I wanted to go all the way up to it and maybe go inside. On my way there, I also realized why it's called Capitol Hill. Damn, it was an incline getting up there. I decided to go inside for the AC and just to see if there was anything worthwhile. I took the tour last time with a super boring guide and didn't want a full tour again so I left and walked over to the Library of Congress and revisited the Supreme Court. I hadn't been back there since my last trip either where, funny story, I threw up in there after a very long and fun night of partying. Ah, to be young again. But it's pretty funny that I puked in such a monumental establishment. Good times. 

Finally, it was back to the hotel to shower, relax, rehydrate, put on my compression socks and watch some TV before meeting up with one of my good high school friends (the same one who I went out with the night of the vomiting debacle). It was a long day of go-go-go that began at 6:15 am and ended around 4:15 in my room until I went back out with my friend. We met for dinner and drinks at a restaurant in DuPont and drank and caught up. Then it was out for Mexican and margaritas with my friend followed by beers. And let me tell you, the guys in DC are not attractive. I don't know where the Secret Service agents hang out but it's def not the bars where we were. Yikes. Still had a great time catching up and drinking and after a long day, it was def time for bed. 

My whole day from start to finish in DC was amazing. I had the best time running and exploring and catching up and site-seeing and people-watching and just taking in DC. Tomorrow I intend to hit up the Newseum and maybe find the MLK memorial again. But I'll also prob go back to the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, White House, cause why not? They're so pretty! I wish I could travel like this every weekend because I just enjoy it so much! 

No comments:

Post a Comment