Tuesday, July 24, 2018

So-Crates


DAY 4
Today started quite leisurely after three days of go-go-go. We slept in until about 8:30 (and I use the word sleep loosely as I did very little of it), grabbed breakfast, checked out of the hotel, and headed on our way. First things first, hopped onto the subway again, which came with some drama/entertainment depending on how you look at it. The people in front of us in line at the kiosk had no idea what they were doing and got out of line very confused. J and I stepped up to buy our tickets and were halfway through when the woman tried to tell us it was her turn again. Mind you, this was midway through using the machine and she was trying to push her way back in through the side while yelling at us in Czech or Russian or something that was most definitely not Greek or English. I don’t know how she would even think we’d understand her, but that didn’t seem to bother her. J and I both starting yelling at her to relax and that she left the line so can’t just come back in, especially in the middle of our transaction. She clearly had no idea what we were saying either but I think our tone and body language was universal for “back the fuck up." She was certainly trying to intimidate us, but it wasn’t working. I don’t know who she thought she was thinking she could leave the line and just re-enter. Nope, not happening with us. We just closed her out, finished up, and went on our merry way. 

We took the train back to Syntagma to walk down to an area we hadn’t walked around before, but saw on the bus tour the prior day.  We wanted to see the Academy of Athens, the old University of Athens, and another building that I can’t remember. All were gorgeous and architecturally stunning with their many steps,  large columns, and statues. One was of Socrates, who I can’t see and not think of Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Much of the little world history I do know is from that movie, so good old “So-crates” is always fun to see. We also went into a local department store called Attaca. It was like Athens’ version of Macy’s. We perused the makeup and the clothing and felt somewhat at home. From there, we went back to the Plaka and Monastiraki area to venture off side streets we didn’t do the first time around. We went into the Nike store, which is always an enjoyable experience for me, especially now knowing more of its meaning. We also went into the Tom’s store and then to some of the flea market shops to look for some souvenirs. We just kind of wandered for a little while longer before taking the train back to the hotel and pretty much ending our time in Athens until next Monday when we return for one more day. J and I really felt like we dominated our way around this city and got to see and experience so much of it. 

Soon enough it was time to get on the bus to the cruise ship and start our Greek islands portion of this trip. I’ve been on two cruises in my life, one senior year of high school with my friends for spring break and once again when I was 25 with a friend. Both were clearly a long time ago, but I knew what to expect, and this wasn’t it. When we got on this cruise ship and into our room, J and I were both struck with disappointment. The room was small (kind of to be expected), but also very old, and not very clean looking. The fact it was so old probably made it look dirtier than it was, but after being in such a nice hotel for the last couple of days (and just generally in life staying in nice places), we were not thrilled. This ship is outdated, old (have I said that?), and not what we expected. At all. We talked to our tour director to see if anything else was available on the ship and he said he’d check on it, but we weren’t confident we’d be able to change rooms, and even if we did, it would still prob be similar. He understood our concerns and said he had heard these complaints before, but also informed us this was the only ship out of Greece that the company we booked through uses. I’m actually shocked because I’ve used this company for two other big trips and everything was always consistently great and luxurious for the most part. This was one of the major reasons I decided to use them again. For the amount of money J and I paid for this trip, we expected much better accommodations on the cruise ship. Once onboard, we were able to stand on deck and somehow get some WiFi from the dock so I could complain to my mom (naturally) for her to try and let our travel agent know and to see if anything could be done.

Listen, I’m not trying to be ungrateful or bratty, but for what we paid for this trip (read: A LOT), we expected something much nicer. I know we won’t be on the ship that often, but I want to feel clean and comfortable in my cabin and on other parts of the ship when I am there. I also know it’s only six nights and we’ll make the best of it and still have an amazing time. 

We also met with our tour director for the schedule for the week as far as docking times, leaving port times, learned about some optional excursions we may be interested in, and answer all of my (many) questions. I did a lot of research in what I wanted to see so I wanted to make damn sure there was time for it all. We are going to be in most places for almost the whole day into the morning of the next day which was a pleasant surprise to me. Also, I sat down with him to go over my research and see how realistic it would be to do and see everything we wanted to. There were certain things we could figure out and do on our own and others it just looked easier and less stressful to just book the excursion and not have to worry about how to get to places and other details that tend to stress me out. It looks like it’ll all work out, but we shall see. 

Dinner tonight on the ship was decent and we ate with the mother and daughter we met the other day staying at our hotel. They’re Canadian and very normal and fun to hang with as they aren’t shocked, offended, or appalled at all the garbage that comes out of my and J’s mouth. We all sat and talked for over two hours. I’m sure we will hang with them plenty the rest of this cruise as well. Additionally, we all felt the same way about the ship and it’s accommodations. It was reassuring they felt the same way we did. 

We were starting to get tired so walked around and explored the ship a little more before heading to bed. When we wake up, we will be in Mykonos and I am so pumped. Everything I’ve seen and heard about it makes it seems like an amazing place, but that seems to be the case for every leg of our trip. Regardless of this ship situation, I know we will continue to have a fabulous trip. 

No comments:

Post a Comment