Tuesday, April 28, 2020

At least another month...

When I started writing these posts, I honestly didn't think I'd be doing so many of them. But here we are, six weeks later. People are starting to get restless and our President continues to be horrible at his job and have zero empathy for anyone. Cool. He’s the fucking worst. And so are many of his republican counterparts who are reopening their states despite how dangerous it is.  And don't get me started on those people who are protesting the stay-at-home orders. Do you really need a haircut and a massage that bad Karen? C'mon, think of the big picture. Also, even if places do re-open, any intelligent person wouldn't go and risk exposing themselves like that, no matter how bad they may want a manicure. But hey, we are talking about intelligent people, and that doesn't seem to be much of Trump's base of supporters.

I am once again glad that we have a strong leader in JB Pritzker and happy with how he has handled everything. Sure, I wish we could go back to school and wish restaurants and bars AND the lakefront were open, but this is what is necessary and will benefit everyone moving forward. Again, I realize I am privileged to have a job right now that is continuing to pay me and provide me benefits, but for people who don't, I can't pretend to know how difficult it must be. But if you really want and/or need to go back to work and make money, plenty of essential businesses are hiring.


(Day 36) April 21: My friend and I walked to mural in Lakeview that we had wanted to see and take pics of. It was a solid five miles there and back and was good to get some steps in in a different neighborhood with new scenery. I even walked half of it without my brace on to see if there was any difference in how my knee would feel. It felt the same, more or less.

More news on the knee is that is HAS been improving. I haven’t been going to PT but have been walking a lot and doing some exercises at home and felt I was improving so I asked if I could pop in and get measured again and try the bike again. (I did it last week and was at 74 degrees and couldn’t do it) and this week I got to 91 degrees with my bend and was able to do a revolution on the bike. I then cried tears of happiness. This is something I have been eyeing to do for four months, and even though I did it very, very slowly, and it wasn't painless, I did it. I couldn't believe it. 

It was also announced today that the Berlin marathon is cancelled in September. Due to the virus, the city of Berlin can’t hold events with more than five thousand people before October 23 so the event is out. This is now th e second year in a row I have gotten in this marathon and won't be able to run it. I'm assuming if I'll get automatic entry for next year (and not have to enter the lottery), and will have to pay again, which hey, if I am healthy enough to do it, I will. This cancellation makes me wonder about the status of the Chicago marathon in October, especially with so many out-of-towners from all over the world coming here. Additionally, all the big spring marathons that postponed until Fall (London and Boston specifically) may be in jeopardy as well. Like with everything, time will tell.

(Day 37) April 22: Today I went on another walk to another mural, this time in River North, did another fun Google Meet with my seniors, and then my mom stopped by again for a socially distant visit, which is always fun. Although we stand far away from each other, just seeing one another is good for morale.

My nephew has figured out how to FaceTime on his iPad and now calls me a ton which is basically the cutest thing ever. He gets so excited when I pick up and goes “surprise” only to hang up on me 30 seconds later and do it two to three more times giggling that “he got me again”. That kid is so damn smart to figure this out and play on it.

(Day 38) April 23: Today we had an all staff meeting for school and then “parent-teacher conferences”. They were obviously very different this year as there is no face-to-face interaction, but parents were emailed a google form to fill out and request times to speak to the teachers on the phone. Luckily, I only had two parents fill out the form for a conference and they were quick conversations. I wish conferences could be like this every year. 

The governor announced today that the Illinois stay at home order has been extended until May 30. This was not an unexpected call for him to make as the experts now say our peak won’t hit until Mid-May. With that announcement, many mandates have been added while others have been amended or modified. Mask are now mandatory in public places where social distancing can’t be maintained,  some state parks and golf courses have reopened, and elective surgeries can go on which gives me hope for my end of May procedure on my knee. On top of this many summer parades and fests and other events have been cancelled already too. I'm sure there will be many more to come. I just want the lakefront to reopen for now, but again, understand why it's closed. 

Tonight was the NFL draft, which was done virtually. Besides The Last Dance, this was the second sports related thing going on lately. Of course, the intro alone made me cry as per usual and again, I miss sports so much.

(Day 39) April 24: Another day and another walk around Lincoln Park. Each time I walk north and west around there, I pick a different block to walk down and gawk at the homes. Also, I couldn't help but watch the news and read about our idiot president and his claim that injecting and drinking Chlorox or Lysol can kill the virus. Like it’s just so insane that it’s funny. Scary, but funny. And what's even worse is that there are people who will listen to him and do that. He’s such a moron. It can't even be real that he's our President, but sadly, it is our truth for now.

(Day 40) April 25: It was a rainy day all day so I stayed inside all day. I did usual arm and abs workout at home and that was really it. Not being able to get outside and release some of my energy is hard these days, but my knee needed a day off so I'll rationalize that it was good for that. 

(Day 41) April 26: After being cooped up all day yesterday because of the weather, I had to get out today. Had a nice long-ish walk and saw some new-to-me monster mansions that were just unbelievable. Where is my future rich husband when I need one? 
The day ended with parts three and four of The Last Dance, which also happens to be the fastest two hours on television. It's so good and just brings back such awesome memories with my family watching these games and going nuts. I still get goosebumps watching, but that should come as no surprise to anyone.

(Day 42) April 27: I went on a six mile walk all the way downtown and around and hit up some of my favorite places to run by and snap pictures like the Bean and the Crown Fountains (they were all fenced off though) and Buckingham Fountain (which wasn't on). It was a long walk, but an incredible walk. It was refreshing to get all the way downtown and just kind of wander around and see a lot of places I haven't seen in a long time. It made me even more hopeful for a healthy knee this summer so I can bike and run and hit them all up super early in the morning, just the way I like it.

The days and the weeks are getting tedious, but I am enjoying that the weather has been nicer. The combo of warmer temps, the sun being out, and the winds being low is ideal, so when all three of those come together, it makes the day better. Now if only I could bike or run with all this time, I'd be set. I won't get greedy though. As long as everyone continues to be smart and follow the rules, we will be out of this soon enough and will get to enjoy summer. It may be a different #summertimechi than we are use to, but hey, I'll take it.

2 comments: