Saturday, April 12, 2014

So. Much. Fun.

Anyone that reads this blog or who knows me well knows I'm pretty much obsessed with sports. I love watching and playing most of them. It doesn't hurt that I am also good at them, naturally. Although my playing days are over except for the occasional rec league softball, football, or basketball game, I miss competition. Sure, I constantly compete with myself with my running and other fitness related activities and am always trying to better myself, but I often miss competitive team sports.

When I started teaching, I knew I wanted to get into coaching as well. Basketball was the obvious choice for me, but they already had a coach. However, the position of bowling coach opened up my second year and I took it. Why not, right? I have been coaching the bowling team the last seven years and its fun, but I wouldn't exactly say what I do is coaching. Sure, I give them some pointers here and there, but its more supervising and organizing. It doesn't have the excitement level of football or basketball.

This year, my school was given a girl's flag football team and of course I jumped at the opportunity to be the coach. Although I have been doing the bowling coach gig and am in my fourth year as assistant athletic director, this is way more my speed.  And let me tell you, I am LOVING it. It's so. much. fun. I really didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I have, but its really been so great.

Our season started roughly a month ago with our tryouts and practice. On day one, I was very nervous because many of the girls didn't know much about football, but came out for the team anyway because they wanted to get involved. It's really a great group of girls who bonded immediately too! A handful of them are natural athletes while others couldn't catch or throw to save their lives. I was very concerned about how the season would go. Myself and the other coach have worked hard teaching the girls the rules of football, what its like to be committed to a team (a foreign concept to far too many of them), actual football skills, and plays. It's been interesting to see how they react to the hard work, the yelling (I do a lot of that. Like a lot), and just becoming a team and working together. 

This past Friday, after having our first two games cancelled, we finally got to play our first real game. And we won!! Well, we actually dominated the other team 40-12. It was incredible. It was fun. And I was so proud of the girls. Seeing them so excited to win and see how their hard work paid off was amazing. None of us really knew what to expect at our first game, but the outcome was in our favor. I was on cloud nine after the game and it was such a wonderful feeling.  My competitive juices were certainly flowing and it was nice having that feeling back again. I mean, I want to win. Every time. Winning is the best. Losing sucks and isn't fun. Hopefully we won't experience much of it this season, but I also know that if that does happen, I have to be a good role model on how to handle it. (This is something I am still working on myself too.)

Flag football is only a three-year old sport in NYC high schools so many teams are new just like us. (Man, I wish it had been available back when I was in school.) Going into the season we weren't sure what to expect on so many levels, and one game in, we still aren't 100 percent sure on how it will be, but so far, its been such a fun ride. I can't wait to see what the rest of the season holds and I just hope we make it to the playoffs and the girls continue to have a positive experience. Now if only that boys basketball coaching position opened...

No comments:

Post a Comment