Thursday, July 17, 2014

I love ballparks

Day 13. Wah, wah, wah. It's my last day on vacation. Sure, I have a two week trip to Chicago coming up that I am obviously looking forward to, but a trip like this, seeing all new types of places, is a different kind of trip and I am sad its all over. I did, however, want to make the best of my last morning in San Francisco before heading back to New York City. Since I hadn't run yet here, I had to get it done. I have gotten in probably close to 80 miles in my four days in San Francisco but none of them running. I have walked so much since being here that my legs have been tired and sore. However, after only walking like thirteen miles each of the last two days, I felt that I had to get in a run this morning and that I did. Because San Francisco is so hilly, I had to figure out a way to run here with missing the hills if possible. I also knew that I wanted to be able to run to somewhere that I haven't been to yet and see something new here. I looked at the map and decided I'd run to AT&T Park where the Giants play. I love seeing different sports stadiums and I passed this one on the way into the city days ago in the cab but it seemed so far away. After looking at the map, I realized it wasn't that far at all and I was going to run there.

It's a shame that it was the All-Star break because my high school friend has season tickets and we had talked about going to a game at the ballpark. It would have been pretty cool to go since I didn't get a chance to go in Seattle either. It's okay though. In the area of the stadium, there were a few cute bars that I'm sure people go to before and after games. Nothing like in Wrigleyville, but what really is?

I made my way to the ballpark, took some pictures, and then continued on the Embarcadero along the San Francisco Bay. I saw the area where people sit on canoes in the bay waiting for homeruns hit out of the park. (So cool by the way!) I ran passed the Ferry Terminal again and then decided that I was going to head to Pier 39 one more time to see if I could see any sea lions. I was so close to it so I couldn't not go again. I had to try and see them one more time. However, there were no sea lions. I was basically 0/3 with seeing them. Brutal. From there I headed back to my hotel with only an hour to spare before having to leave for the airport. I didn't really have time to do anything touristy so I just kind of wandered around Union Square a bit.

Because the cab to the airport cost so much money, I asked the concierge about an airport shuttle. He was able to set me up with one that only cost $15. I think cabs and checking my luggage cost me the most money on this trip. (Overall, besides the airfare and hotel costs, this trip was not that expensive which was a relief.) I had also arranged for a car service to pick me up at Newark because a cab from there to my apartment would be super expensive and although this isn't cheap, it was a tad bit cheaper, I think. I hope. Blah.

The flight was loooong but I made do. I finished The Fault in our Stars and cried publicly probably the last three quarters of the book. Like tears running down my face and tons of sniffling. I can't wait to see the movie now that I've finished the book but I know I will sob like a baby. I'm prepared. For the rest of the flight I kind of just sat back and relaxed and I think even fell asleep once or twice. When I got into Newark, I called my car and headed back to my apartment. Of course I completely unpacked before bed because that's how I am. Hopefully my body won't take three days the adjust to being back to east coast time because jetlag sucks. It took me three days to get use to west coast time but I hope it adjusts quicker this time around. I have things to do, most importantly get back to my marathon training. I only missed out on one long run while I was gone but obviously walked waaaay beyond the mileage. Although a different type of physical activity, it probably did strengthen my legs a bit; especially all those hills!!

So that's it, my trip is over. It always sucks when something you have looked forward to for so long comes to an end, but I am so lucky to have had this opportunity to travel. I had a fantastic time, saw so many new things, and basically can't wait to do it again to a brand new locale.

No comments:

Post a Comment