Monday, July 14, 2014

More F'ing Hills!

Day 9. Last night was an early night because of the exahaustion from all of LL and my escapades in Vancouver. I slept like a freaking baby and it was fabulous. I didn't wake up until like 8:45 which is a ridiculously late for me and just laid around a bit before taking one little last walk around Seattle before catching a cab to the airport. It was just my luck that a very nice orthopoedic surgeon who was staying in my hotel was also going to the airport and he asked if I wanted to split the cab with him. Heck yes I did. If only he was 30 years younger and unmarried it would have been even better, but just getting the split the fare was good enough for me I guess. The Seattle airport security was so bizarre in the fact that we didn't have to take our shoes off or take anything out of our bags when they went through the x-ray machine. No one did. There were no bins, no nothing. It did not make me feel too safe but I guess they know what their doing. I made it here all in one piece so all is good.  When I landed in San Francisco I got a taxi and went right to my hotel. Sixty freaking dollars (!!!) later, I was there. I couldn't believe how expensive the cab ride was and was even more grateful that I had split my earlier fare.

My hotel for the duration of my stay in San Francisco is a cute little boutique hotel right in Union Square. The location seems to be a pretty good and quite busy. (And this hotel has free wi-fi in the room too! Yes. And apparently free Saki everyday from 5-7.) Once I studied my map of the city and looked at my list of things to do, I was on my way. I still couldn't believe I was San Francisco. Alone. Doing my thang. I'm such a grown up. I haven't traveled alone (or stayed alone in a hotel room) since Europe last summer and its just so fun and liberating. I do know quite a few people here, but unfortunately some of them are out of town while I am here, but I'm hoping to maybe see one or two on this visit. If not, no biggie as I am my own favorite company, but it's always fun to see a friendly face in an unfamiliar place.

As I begun exploring, I knew that San Francisco was a big city, but much to my surprise, it is a VERY hilly one. I thought Seattle was hilly, but it was super flat compared to San Francisco. I had zero idea about this. Good thing I am in good shape. I knew the most important thing on my agenda today was In N Out burger. Priorities people. Priorities. The last time I had it was sophomore year in high school on a trip to LA with a friend, but I don't remember it that much and wasn't as in to food then as I am now. (I mean lets be serious, I always loved food and loved to eat, but it wasn't as important as is it to me today.) In N Out was located near Fisherman's Wharf so I started on my way there and according to the map I was going to pass Lombard Street so I thought I'd knock that out of the way too. Lombard Street is America's (the world's??) crookedest street. And it certainly lived up to it's name. I walked to the top of it hoping to get a great picture but that proved rather difficult. The view was incredible though. San Francisco, much like the other cities out west I've visited this trip is truly beautiful. (Water and bridges and mountains really make a view! There's no denying that.) Lombard street was packed with tourists and although pretty cool, it would suck to live there and have people out front all the freaking time.

One I finished up seeing Lombard Street, I continued onto Fisherman's Wharf. On my way, I passed some of the famous trolley's that San Fran is known for. I asked some other tourists to take my picture on one in a super cliché, but must-get picture. Fisherman's Wharf was basically like the Times Square of San Francisco. It was mobbed, people didn't know how to walk, and there were a bunch of chain restaurants. With so many local restaurants (even the cheesy touristy ones) why would people go the chains like Bubba Gump or Joes Crab Shack or even Fridays? I simply don't get it. I passed Boudin Bakery which is famous for their sourdough bread bowls and soups and may go back there since it is pretty well-known. I walked around a bit and then made my way to In N Out. I was sooo looking forward to this meal. I even passed up a burger at dinner the previous night in preparation for this. I ordered my double double animal style and animal style fries and was just drooling as I waited for my food. When my number was finally called, I found a table with a lovely family from San Antonio and dug right in. We chatted the entire time as I devoured my meal. Although it was definitely delicious, I do believe Shake Shack is better. I will hold my ground on that too! Now that I've had it again and can make the comparison, I know that a Shackburger and cheese fries beats out In N Out all day, everyday.

In order to digest, I walked along the wharf and the water a bit more and decided to make my way to Pier 39 hoping to catch a glimpse of the sea lions. Unfortunately there were none out. I was bummed, but will be back there in a couple of days much earlier so I hope to catch them. According to a sign there, the sea lions head south in the summer to breed so its not uncommon to see few to none. I really do hope I can see some though when I go back. Fingers crossed. I walked around the Pier over there a bit too but there were just too many tourists. Ick. I know I am one, but I just hate being in places that are full of tourists. I get it if it's an important site or landmark (Colosseum, Statue of Liberty, Big Ben, etc...), but I just don't get it with such touristy shops. Maybe its just me.

It wasn't that late after I finished what I set out to do, but I also knew I didn't have time to do the other stuff I had planned because it was much further away. I was also told that the sun starts to set here a little after eight. In a city that I don't know my way around, I didn't want to get stuck too far away in the dark plus I knew I'd be over there the following day. I was shocked it gets dark so early here because in Seattle, Portland, and Vancouver, it doesn't actually get dark-dark until a little after 10. The days are long and it doesn't feel late when you are in vacation mode. Anyway, I headed back to the hotel but not before walking too far and accidentally stumbling past Ghiradelli Square which I could now cross off my list. I had a little sample of chocolate and was on my merry way. Many more hills later, I reached my hotel where I quickly added some juice to my dying cell phone and studied the map a little more and decided to just check out the area around my hotel, Union Square. Basically, every luxury store was in a four block vicinity of my hotel along with many other chain retail stores. You name it, its near my hotel. For some reason this is always reassuring to me and makes me feel at home. (There is also a Cheesecake Factory a block from my hotel which is super tempting. I haven't had it in ages and there is none in NYC so it might have to happen. There was also one a block from my hotel in Seattle and I resisted because as I stated earlier, going to chain restaurants on vacation is kind of sacrilegious, but an exception might have to be made for Cheesecake Factory. Sorry I'm not sorry.) There also happens to be a Jack in the Box two doors down from my hotel which looked amazing. I haven't had that since my family was in Arizona my junior year of high school and I remember it being freaking delicious too. I just may have to hit that up as well!

I got in the hotel the earliest I have all trip, but had time to really sit down and plan out the rest of my days here and just relax a bit. With three full days left in San Francisco I have A LOT planned. I have a lot of recommendations from friends and family so I'm really hoping to get it all in and then some. I'm super psyched to check out this amazing city and see what it's all about. Everyone that visits here and lives here loves it and I'm excited to get in on the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment