Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Snow? In April?

Well guys, I made it to London and I couldn't be happier. I had been counting down the days until this trip and could barely sleep the days leading up to it because of my excitement. I boarded the red-eye last night having taken two Tylenol PM, but I think my excitement even overrode them. I had been hoping that I would sleep the entire 7 hour flight but I maybe got a total of three hours of actual sleep. When we landed in London, customs was a breeze and I got my taxi to the hotel. Damn, that shit was expensive. There was some traffic and the cab ride took almost an hour to the hotel and cost about $150. Crazy. Ridiculous. And nothing I can do about it now. (I know it was expensive last time I was here, but not that much. Yikes.) But I had a big suitcase and wasn't going to lug it on the tube to my hotel so that was really my only option I guess. It is what it is.

Luckily when I got to the hotel, my room was ready so I was able to bring everything up there. I got my stuff settled in my room and by 11:30 I was out the door and ready to take on London. Woohoo!! I had my whole agenda for the day planned and was ready to get stuff checked off my list. My hotel happens to be on one side of Westminster Bridge and the view from the hallway window is incredible with Big Ben and Parliament so those were the first things I saw. And once again, they just blow me away. Every time I see them. I don't know if the view of them will ever get old. I walked by them and then over to Westminster Abbey and began to make my way down toward Buckingham Palace. I even passed 10 Downing (where the Prime Minister lives. I think. Right?) and the Royal Horseguards.

Everything was looking super familiar to me right away and I seemed to kind of have my bearings immediately. I was going to take one way to the Palace and one way back, but I got a little confused and just took The Mall. As I was walking down it, I imagined how awesome it must have been to run right down it during the London Marathon on Sunday. Part of me was glad I missed it because so many things would have been closed, but the other part of me would have loved to see all the incredible runners. If you haven't ever watched a marathon, please do so. It's so inspirational. I had serious FOMO seeing it on my Instagram feed. Perhaps I shall enter my name in the lotter next month? But anyway, I digress.

I got to the palace a little after noon and the changing of the guard was happening which was cool to see. It's not something I had to see for a second time, but catching it was a nice little surprise. Additionally, the landscaping by the Palace was beautiful. I walked around St. James Park a bit and was going to do Hyde Park but decided it was so big and there were quite a few things I wanted to see there, it would wait until tomorrow, which is when I originally planned to see it anyway. Instead I would stay on plan and make my way to Picadilly Circus, Leicester Square, and Covent Garden by means of Trafalgar Square. However once I got to Trafalgar Square, I got all turned around (typical) and decided that I would instead make my way back in the direction of the hotel because that was toward the River Thames and I would walk to see St. Paul's Cathedral and the cool bridge near it, the London Bridge, and my favorite bridge of all, Tower Bridge. Can someone please tell me why London Bridge is so special? I couldn't figure it out the first time and I still don't get it. Is it just the song that makes it special? (I mean Fergie Ferg even did a riff on it after all.)

 On the way to St. Paul's, it started snowing. Yes SNOWING. First it was just a little rain, and then hail, then full on snow. It was the most bizarre thing ever. Then it stopped and the sun came out again. Then it repeated itself about twenty minutes later, along with some full-on thunder. Luckily I was a little sheltered this time grabbing my lunch. There was an outdoor market I had heard about, Borough Market, that has different food vendors and they are only open for lunch Monday's and Tuesdays so I had to get it today if I wanted some. I settled on a beef pie because it was warm, had filling protein, and was somewhat British. I guess meat pies are somewhat local fare and it didn't disappoint. As the snow (yes again, SNOW) fell, I FaceTimed my mom on the free wi-fi and happily ate my hot meat pie. It was filling and hearty and delicious. And to top off the meal, I got a vanilla cream-filled donut from Bread Ahead Bakery which I had seen many-a-times on Instagram. It tasted as good as it looked in pictures. I am not a huge donut person, but this one was damn good. Then it was across Tower Bridge to scope out The London Tower for tomorrow. I didn't go to Top of the Shard because it wasn't clear out and I didn't want to waste my money. I have a few more days to get up there though and certainly hope I get the opportunity.

Once the snow stopped and sun came out again, I walked across Tower Bridge and actually had to pop in a Starbucks to get a hot tea because I was cold. I knew the weather here this week was going to be between the upper 30's and the 50's but I thought I'd be okay during the day without a coat. If the sun stayed out, I would have been, but I think this weather was a bit unexpected even to the locals. I decided to make the trek back to my hotel because I had basically seen everything on my to-do list for the day (except Picadilly Circus, Leicester Square, and Covent Garden which I missed earlier) and wanted my vest before making my next move. Because it was still decently early, I made the executive decision to take the tube to Abbey Road. I never went there the last time I was here and wanted that famous photo opp. Do it for the gram, right? It was on my list for tomorrow, but figured I had the time now so why not? Figuring out the Tube was super easy and I was a natural. However, I made the dumb mistake of buying a one-day unlimited card thinking it would be cheaper than the three rides I had planned. The last time I was here, it did make sense; however they must have raised the prices. Or I'm an idiot. Grrr... Anyway, When I got to Abbey Road, it was under construction. Damn. At first I thought I missed it, then I realized half of it was covered with cones and fenced it. Huge bummer, but I made do. A very nice man offered to take my cheesy picture and snap, snap, I was on my way back with a big smile on my face. I'm still super glad I got to see it! Once done, it was back on the train and I had it all figured out that I would take the train back to Picadilly Circus, then walk to Leicester Square and Covent Garden and then take the train back to the hotel. So smart.

Again, like last time I was here, I don't know what the big deal is with Picadilly Circus, but I had to make the stop there. Same with Leicester Square. They all seem super tourist-trappy and that's not my scene. I avoid Times Square and Herald Square pretty much at all costs, but I do know if I was visiting New York, they would be must-go's, just to see and get the experience. So I fully understand it. Covent Garden is cute though. Lots of little stores and restaurants. I skipped dinner because after spending so much on the cab and the Tube pass, I just didn't want to spend the money. I wasn't that hungry anyway, so I picked up a snack (Kinder bar FTW.  My daily go-to treat every time I'm in Europe) at Tesco (yay!) and had a Kind Bar a little later. Not the most nutritious but hey, whatever.

Once it started drizzling again, I made my decision to call it a day. My legs were getting tired so I decided to take the tube back to the hotel and finally rest and relax. I walked a little over fifteen miles today and still have four more full days with running and spinning and all the exploring so I don't want to start off way too strong and not have my legs keep up with me. Good thing I brought my compression socks with me!

All in all, I had a fantastic first day. It was all I imagined it to be the second time around. London is amazing. And I can't wait for tomorrow already, especially my morning run. I'm so excited to get some pictures of some of the places that were super crowded today. I'm psyched!

1 comment:

  1. Quite a sight filled first day! Can't wait to read the next installment.

    ReplyDelete