Saturday, April 30, 2016

But I don't want to go!

I started this morning with another spin class at Psycle and did it on nine (!!) hours of sleep which was glorious. This was the best night's sleep I've had since I got here (it was aided by Tylenol PM though) and it was much needed. Because this trip has been so go-go-go in typical me fashion, I haven't been getting home until almost 9 every night after leaving the hotel around the same time in the morning, so needless to say, I've been pretty cooked. I had debated getting up early and running before spin class but I was also desperate for a good night's sleep so I could tackle my last day here head on. Sleep won that battle.

This spin class was taught by a guy named A.D who I had heard good things about online. His energy was fantastic, his music was great, his intensity was phenomenal, and he was H-O-T. His glistening, chiseled body on the podium def kept me motivated throughout class. It was same exact feeling I have in class at SoulCycle when Trammell (swoon) is up on that podium. I'm unapologetic when I say I work harder when the instructor is hot. It's just extra motivation combined with my normal 110% effort on that bike. This class was even better class than yesterday and I was so happy I went back. I had spotted a juice shop yesterday on my way back to the tube and popped in after class today to get my usual Saturday post-spin juice. Although not free like my New York Saturday post- run or spin Juice Press (#willrunforjuice #jprunclub #juicepress), it was really good (beetroot, strawberry, banana, avocado and apple) and refreshing.  I loved having my usual NYC Saturday morning routine right here in London.

Once I got back to the hotel for a quick shower and change, I hit the road for the day. My first stop was the Portobello Road Market in Notting Hill. I have been here before (it's where I saw Richard Jefferson) and know it's a tourist destination, but damn, the crowds were ridiculous. So. Many. Tourists. Now I'm well aware I'm a tourist too, but I'm not a mosey-and-troll-and-stop-suddenly-tourist. I move with a purpose and am super efficient in my journeys, all while enjoying myself. I walked around the market for maybe 30 minutes which was about 25 minutes too long. I wasn't going to actually buy souvenirs or anything but wanted to experience it again since people do love it. I do not think I need to visit it again, unless it's on a weekday. Had the crowds not been so bad, it probably would been very enjoyable. The pastel houses and different colored doors (I did get to see the  Notting Hill blue door again!) are always fun to see because we certainly don't have homes like that in New York or Chicago. They are unique to London and very beautiful.

I weaved my way through all the people back to the tube and headed to lunch. I had read about a place called Poppies that is supposed to have to best fish and chips in London and it was located in Camden. Although I've never been to that neighborhood, I looked up the train directions and thought I'd head out there. When I got off the train at Camden Town, I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of people. The train had been packed and tons of people got off here which should have been my first hint, but basically when I got above ground it was like St. Mark's Place on crack. It was the same type of people and stores you'd find there multiplied by like 100 and then added swarms of tourists. If you've ever walked down St. Mark's Place between Third and Second Ave on the weekends, you know what I'm talking about and what a personal hell it was for me. I was in total shock because I had not been expecting this. The storefronts were pretty cool though with three dimensional signs and stuff. Luckily, Poppies was super easy to get to and I was eating my mediocre fish and chips soon enough. That's right, it was just mediocre and I was not impressed with it. The fish itself was delicious but the fries weren't crispy enough and they didn't use homemade tartar sauce (they had Heinz). I ate most of the fish and very few fries (soft, undercooked fries are no bueno) and then just threw the rest away which killed me. (I hate throwing away food.)  The fish and chips I had in Lacock was much better than this but I had to try it for myself after seeing it on many lists during my research. I didn't sit in the restaurant because it was way too crowded so I took my food as carry-out and went to a side street to have a seat and eat. As soon as I sat down, I immediately noticed all the street art around me. I love me some street art, so this piqued my interest to walk around the area a bit more. I walked around the side streets looking for some other cool murals and found quite a few. I always enjoy finding really cool street murals by super talented artists. There was also a huge market (Camden Lock) but the crowds were out of control in there and I had just eaten so didn't feel the need to explore it.

I made my way back to the train and decided to head to Chelsea. It's another neighborhood I haven't explored and I wanted to check it. There was a house with a gorgeous pink front door (the LOVE door) that I saw on Instagram and wanted to see for myself. I could kill two birds with one stone by going to another neighborhood new to me and finding this door (and maybe running into one of the Ladies of London as well. Wishful thinking). This was the first time I had to take the bus (the famous read double decker) and although I was nervous because I didn't have a bus map or app, I was up to the challenge. Again, I'm really trying some things out of my comfort zone here and just going with the flow with them and hoping for the best. I had really hoped I wouldn't get lost or go in the wrong direction but had to give it a shot. And guess what? It was a success. I got off the bus at the correct stop and found my way to the house fairly quickly. I also walked around some side streets in Chelsea and saw some mega-expensive houses. This is where a lot of the rich and famous live and I can see why. It had a bit of an upper East side vibe to it.

I paid enough attention on the bus to Chelsea that I walked my way back to the train stop. The streets were mostly filled with locals. There didn't seem to be many tourists in site which was refreshing. I went in a couple of stores and although tempted to buy a tank top at Nike and jacket at Lulu, the exchange rate is just too high to make it worth it. I also passed the cutest market at Duke of York Square. It was like a mini Smorgasburg, minus the hipsters and replaced the rich people. All the food there looked so good but I was actually still full from lunch. I really enjoyed walking around Chelsea and was so glad that my desire to see a door took me there.

Once I finished in Chelsea I wasn't sure what I wanted to do as everything on my to-do list was officially seen and done so I decided to head back to two places that are quintessential London and that I wanted to see one more time before leaving tomorrow: Buckingham Palace and Tower Bridge. I took the train to the Palace and walked around a bit before walking back to my hotel for an early dinner of...wait for it...Pret! I enjoyed the salad I had last night so much, I got one again. I knew it wasn't going to fill me up, but I would get another one later after I returned back from the bridge. After eating and relaxing for 45 minutes, I headed back out to the train. I took the train to the Tower and walked along the path a bit before crossing it and heading to the other side when I then decided I would just walk back to the hotel. It was my last night so a nice sunset walk was a great way to end the trip, seeing all my faves again at the end. Of course, I got to see Big Ben and Parliament automatically on my way since they are right across from my hotel. I really did a good job with picking my hotel location if I do say so myself.

I really can't believe today was my last day here in London. I think I have been spoiled with my long summer trips that these five days just flew by. In this short time though, I saw and did so much and I was just damn happy the entire time. I was able to do a lot of things I didn't get to do when I was here three years ago and the next time I come to London, I'll get to do even more. And believe me, there will be a next time! I just hope I don't have to wait another three years. There is just so much to love about London and I really fell hard for this city this time. It still tops my list of favorite European cities (second to Barcelona) visited. There is just something magical about the city and I am so glad I got to experience that magic the last five days. I am planning to get up for a sunrise run tomorrow before heading off to the airport and back to reality. This trip was much needed, well-deserved and again, something I won't ever forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment