Monday, May 2, 2016

London by the numbers...

I am back in the States after five fucking fantastic days in London. After booking this trip kind of on a whim, I could not be happier with my decision to do so. I honestly don't know if I could have had a better time there exploring solo. I did everything I wanted to do and more, and had a perma-smile plastered on my face the entire time.

Every single day was a full day and every night, although utterly exhausted, I struggled to get to sleep because I was so wired from the amazing day I had. And every morning I hopped out of bed ready to take on the new day ahead knowing I had so much planned to see and do. This is something I haven't felt in a long time and something I so badly needed back in my life, even if only for a couple of days. I needed that joy. I needed that happiness again. Traveling fulfills me so much and I wish I could do it more often.

Although this wasn't a big summer trip like I've gone on in the past, I still wanted to sum everything up for myself (and you guys who have followed me along the way) with a bit of an overview of what I've done the past five days. So without further ado, here is London by the numbers...

6: Number of cities visited in England (London, Windsor, Bath, Lacock, Salisbury, Oxford)
35, 366: Average steps per day (that came out to be about 14.96 miles per day)
19.79: Highest number of miles I walked in one day
3: Number of World heritage sites visited (Stonehenge, Bath, Tower of London) 
2: Number of spin classes taken
2: Number of times I went running
5: Number of days it rained/snow/hailed at least once (yup, everyday)
6: Number of Kinder bars eaten
7: Number of times I ate Pret
2: Number of times I had fish and chips
3: Number of donuts eaten
1: Number of times I paid to pee
5.5: Number of hours of sleep averaged every night (WAY lower than my usual (8-10)
1: Number of times I took the public double decker bus
0: Number of outfits I repeated
10: Number of pairs of leggings worn
802: Number of feet above ground I was at to get my aerial view of the city (at The Shard).

Things I lost count of:
Number of times I took the tube.
Number of times I uttered this question to strangers: "Excuse me, can you please take my picture?"
Number of guys I slept with (JK JK, just making sure you're still reading this.)
Number of pictures I took of Big Ben

Favorite sights: 
     - Big Ben and Tower Bridge (and the totally incredible double rainbow after it poured at Stonehenge.)  I literally never got sick of seeing these two things, even though far away from each other. Each time I saw either one, it was a giant reminder that I was indeed in London and super grateful for that.

Things I was reminded of:
     - Staying in my own hotel room is still the shit. I love it. I will never not enjoy it.
     - I am really good at figuring out public transportation. If you can do it in NYC, you can do it anywhere.
     - I am totally capable of being super independent (and enjoy being so a majority of the time), but sometimes I do wish that I had a boyfriend to do this kind of stuff with.

Question I have:
     - Why do they drive on the other side of the road? Shouldn't something like that just be universally worldwide?

Overall, this trip was amazing. I really struggled with getting on that airplane yesterday and coming back to New York. There are so many things up in the air for me right now with my life, but for all of last week, I forgot about it and just enjoyed where I was and soaked in all London had to offer. There was definitely a reason I fell in love with London the first time I visited and although I waited three years to go back, I certainly hope that I don't have to wait that long to return. It really is a magnificent city and if I could live there tomorrow, I would. In a heartbeat. I feel like London is a city I want to visit at least once a year. I even entered the London Marathon lottery today for next year. (I'll find out in October if I got in.) How awesome would it be to run that race?!?! Plus, it gives me the perfect excuse to go back if I get in. And if I don't, maybe I'll just plan a trip there anyway. YOLO, right?

I know I say this all the damn time, but traveling is just pure bliss for me. I wish I was independently wealthy so I could do it all the time. Or least more than once a year. There are so many other places I want to go and explore and going on one trip, just makes me want to do it more and more. Until I figure out what my plan is for next year, a summer trip is currently on the back burner, so for now I will still bask in all that was last week and try to use that momentum to carry me through the last two months of school. Cheerio.

No comments:

Post a Comment