Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Back to school. Oh, back to school.

It's almost that time of year again. The time of year that parents rejoice and kids and teachers must face the reality that their summer is over and its back to the daily grind. That's right folks, the school is about to begin again. UGH! I am about to enter my eighth year teaching, and although I get annoyed and tired from time to time, I actually do really enjoy my job.  Not only do I actually like what I do, but it can be different each and every day which is always interesting.

As much as I don't want summer to end, I know that the show must go on and work must begin. It's not all so bad after all. I mean, mama's gotta pay the bills somehow, you know? But in all seriousness there are some definite pros about going back to work. And of course with the pros, there come the cons as well. So here we go, the good and the bad about going back to work...

Pros:
1) New Outfits. Back to school clothes! Yes. This isn't just for the students either. Teachers like to get some new clothes for the upcoming school year. Some cute new dresses. A few adorable sweaters. Maybe a new pair of comfy shoes? You never know, there could be a new, cute single teacher in one of the other schools in our building?! Gotta look good. 

2) School supplies. Probably my most favorite thing of the new school year. It always has been since I was a little kid. I could spend obscene amounts of money in stores like Staples, Office Max, and of course, Michaels. I absolutely love getting new school supplies. White out. Mechanical pencils. Binders. Markers. There is nothing like using a new pack of markers. So smooth. (Geez, I am such a loser!) Even though this is still a little exciting as an adult, it's not as fun since I have to pay for this stuff myself. Sometimes the school reimburses me and sometimes they don't. However, if I need something, I have to buy it. And at least I can enjoy the shopping part of it.

3) Seeing old faces and meeting new ones. I am not going to lie, I am looking forward to seeing many of my students. (And I'm sure the feeling is mutual, obvs.) I am also excited to meet the new students. I surprising really liked my 9th graders last year. Yeah, there were some jerks (but there are jerks everywhere) but for the most part, they were a great group of kids. I just hope my incoming ninth graders this year are just as good. And if they aren't, its my job to train them from day one! Challenge accepted.

4) Getting on schedule again. Since I didn't work this summer, I didn't HAVE to set an alarm (even though I did three times a weeks for workouts). I didn't have a lunch time. I didn't really HAVE to do anything. This kind of disrupts my body a bit and makes me a little uncomfortable because I can be kind of rigid. (Who am I kidding? Really rigid.) But now that I am heading back to work, I need to get in a routine again. And you know what, that's not a bad thing. I like routines. They keep me in check. (Please don't hesitate to remind me of this when I complain about being tired and hungry all the time.)

Cons:
1) My voice getting tired. I talk a decent amount on a day-to-day basis, but my voice-box endurance is not up to par with talking like ALL day at work while teaching. Every year those first two weeks or so, my throat must get use to constant talking, and even sometimes raising of my voice, that it's not use to. But need not worry, it all comes back to normal pretty soon. Until then, I will suck it up and get some lozenges.

2) Sweating all day. My classroom is not temperature controlled. Its one of the hottest ones all four seasons of the year. I have no A/C for when its hot out and a heater I can't control when its cold out. And only three small windows. How I dress for the outside temperature is not how I can dress for my classroom. I must wear layers and am always prepared to sweat. It's so annoying to wear a light jacket when its 60 degrees outside, and then get in my classroom where its 80 degrees. Not okay.

3) Being super rigid about my sleep. After this summer of trying new things and being more flexible with my sleep schedule, now I must become much more strict with my bedtime. I know I sound like an infant when I say that, but with marathon training, work, and coaching, my schedule is full and I need my 8-10 hours a night. I like to be asleep by 10 so I am up at 6 without any problems.

I know as a teacher I am lucky to have summers off. But its just so depressing when it ends. I have been doing this for a while now so I will get over it. I am lucky to love what I do so I take it all in stride. But how many days until Winter break now? And when is the last day of school again? Ah, the life of a teacher. Always counting down until our next vacation. But you know, its not so bad. Not so bad at all.

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your back to school shopping. I LOVED getting my first day of school outfit and new school supplies. It is ALL about the sparkly folders!

    ReplyDelete