Monday, April 1, 2013

Bring it Juice

I love food. Like really love it. I am not from the school of "eat to live" but from the school of "love to eat." And when I don't eat, look out, I get hangry. That's right, hungry-angry. Hangry. And when this happens, take cover because I am not fun to be around. I get snappy and moody. It's not pretty.

Although I am also someone that does try to eat healthy a majority of the time, I do have my "slip-ups" from time to time. But they are totally allowed. I mean, I am not going to live life with no hamburger and fries. I'm not. That's no fun. Everything in moderation is the key. But really, for the most part, my diet is pretty healthy.

Because I love to eat so much, it may surprise some of you that I want to try a juice cleanse. This is not for the purpose of losing weight, but for cleansing my body AND my mind. I want to challenge my body on a different level than I have before. I usually challenge it with exercise and other physical activities, but by doing a juice cleanse, this is taking it to a whole different level. I want to start Spring on a new, high note and also start the last leg of the school year super-charged and feeling great. My Spring break ends Tuesday night so if I do a three-day cleanse for my three-day work week, it will start off the tail end of the year hopefully very positively. I think it will be a good "reset."

I have spoken to friends that have done these cleanses before and the same three kept coming up when I was asking around and doing some research online: Organic Avenue, Blueprint Cleanse, and Cooler Cleanse. (From what I understand, these three are only found in NYC and not in other parts of the country, which actually doesn't surprise me.) I think I am going to go with Cooler Cleanse because of its convenience to my apartment for juice pick-up and I often frequent the store its sold at for other juices/smoothies. All three cleanses are pretty pricey at about $60 a day. Yep, you read that right: $60 a day. Just on juice. Six juices at about $10 each. Holy Shit. But this excites me. WTF is wrong with me?

I've heard these juice cleanses can be brutal. Obviously because you are not eating anything. Just drinking juice. Like zero chewing of anything for three days. I hope my body (and my mind) can handle this. I don't want to be the girl who passes out on the train from starvation. And I don't want to be the girl that gives up after like the first 5 hours. I will probably have to not workout for those three days to save energy, but I can do that. Hopefully. Probably. My biggest overall concern for doing this is about my lack of energy and general moodiness from not eating solid food. But its only three days right? Please remind me of that when I am crying with hunger pangs and want to dive in a big pool of peanut butter. Head first.

Of course I have many reservations about this, but from everything I read and discussed with friends, it seems the benefits do outweigh the misery of the cleanse itself. I have heard the juice itself is actually pretty good tasting and I do love juice. Who doesn't? One juice about every two hours better keep me satiated. I have also heard that by the end of the cleanse you feel empowered, energetic, and rejuvenated. And overall, this is what I want from it. A new lease on the new season and all the good things to come with it. Three days only. Just three. Bring it juice! I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment