Monday, April 15, 2013

Pray for Boston

Being a part of Marathon Monday by running the Boston Marathon is on my bucket list. To cross the finish line of one of, if not, THE most prestigious running event in the world is one of my dreams. It is one of the most celebrated and uniting days of the year in Boston and today it has been marred by tragedy. Today this event has forever been changed. Today, once again, our feelings of safety and comfort in our own town, state, and country has been changed. About four hours into the marathon today, two explosions went off near the finish line. People were killed. People were injured. People are and forever will traumatized. How could this happen?

I am overcome with emotions. I am sad, horrified, angry, scared, mad and confused. It is unfathomable to me that some heartless, hate-filled people would do this to innocent people, especially on such an inspirational day. A day that thousands of people worked their asses off for. A day where millions of loved ones and strangers come together to cheer on these people. A day that now will forever change the game of racing, large public events, but more so, will forever change the game of life. Its unreal.

Obviously, every normal human being is affected deeply by this. And from a runner's perspective, I take this even more personally. I feel more robbed than usual. My safety and comfort are gone at the moment. It's so unfair, but I know they will return. Eventually. However, I also know it won't ever be the same. Again. Living in a city like New York, we are always on a heightened alert. I try not to think about it because that's no way to go through life, but it is something that I have to consider on a daily basis living in such a highly populated area. And to calm my nerves, you know what I do? I run. Running is supposed to be soothing, cathartic, stress-relieving, and dare I even say fun? And now, someone went ahead and took something like that and added that factor of fear. Its maddening. The London Marathon is this weekend, will it go on as planned? Will all those people that worked so hard, get their opportunity? What will happen with the New York City marathon this upcoming November? And all the major races in between? And all large events? Concerts? Sporting events? The game has changed. And it continues to be changed when all these awful events keep happening in this world. WTF?

I just can't believe something like this happened. Again. What is this world we are living in? What is wrong with people? How can anyone do this? Are there really any answers? I don't even know what to say anymore. I am all cried out but I do know my thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by today's tragic event. Stay strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment