Monday, October 14, 2013

A Guide to Running Vocab

As per usual, if I am training for a marathon, this time of year is usually all about one thing for me: Running. That's right, it pretty much consumes my life. Does it have to? No. Do I make it? Yes. That's just me I guess. When I put my mind to something, I really have dedication and discipline toward it, especially in the home stretch. And that's what this time of year is. The home stretch. T-3 weeks until the NYC marathon so of course its pretty much all I can think about. I eat, drink, and sleep for this race. Because of that, I decided to dedicate this post to some terms that have taken over my life as of recently, but some for as much as the last 4 and a half months. Geez, this really is a big commitment when I really think about it. And that's why I am so intense about it.

Those people that are runners are probably familiar with some of these terms. While some are more common than others, many of them are used often enough in the running community (at least the one I am a part of) and are commonplace. Others might hear us nut-job runners talking and think we are speaking our own bizarre language. So without further ado, here is a little vocab lesson on some runner terminology.

Taper: This has got to be my favorite word right now because that means I can finally start lowering my mileage. A taper is the time after your final long run when you start to cutting down weekly mileage and long runs in order to have fresher legs on race day. Basically, up until this point you have done all the hard work and training, worked your body up to where it needs to be and now you are in maintenance mode until the big day.

Runger: This my friends, is running-hunger. Sometimes this can turn inot hanger (hungry-angry), so look out if you are with me and I make that turn. It's not a pretty sight. Basically, when my mileage starts increasing, so does my hunger. It makes perfect sense. It's also probably the reason that when I train for a marathon, I always gain weight. Sure there is increased muscle mass involved (there better freaking be!!), but if I don't give my body the energy (calories) it needs, it won't recover and I won't be the most pleasant person to be
around either. And sometimes, yes, I do like to reward myself with a nice juicy cheeseburger. If I can't treat myself to one after a 20-miler, then when can I?

Glide: Ah, glide. For some reason every different kind I try does not work for me. Ugh. Glide is basically anti-chafing gel, cream, or lotion. Because BodyGlide is one of the more popular brands, people just call most anti-chafing products by this name. (Similar to how people just call tissue Kleenex. Same thing.) But seriously, why is there not a single glide that works for me? Why doI have a perma-scab and soon-to-be-scar under my boobs and on my back. WTF? No matter what kind or how much I put on, I still get major chaffing. While glide is a savior for most people and works for me in some areas to reduce or eliminate chafing, I just can't win in the boob area. Blah.


Gels/Gu's: These are the fuel that keep us long-distance runners going while we run. These carbohydrate and sodium packets of flavored gel are portable and not all that bad tasting. (And some even have caffeine.) During a long run, say a 20-miler, I may consume 3-4 of these to keep me going. I rip that sucker open, suck it dry, and keep going on my merry way. There are many different brands of these gels as well as gummies and jellybeans too to supplement. I find it to be too much of an effort to chew while on longer runs, but to each their own.
Nuun: This is a brand of flavored hydration tablets that have become increasingly popular. They are like little alka-seltzer tabs that you put in water, are low-calorie, and help to replace electrolytes. I have tried quite a few flavors thus far, and I must say, I love the grape the best! They are great before, during, and after runs to hydrate. Sometimes, I even use it as a verb: "I just got back from my run and am nuuning right now." Yup.

Compression Socks: Oh yes! I have always been a fan of high socks, but when compression socks came onto the scene a couple of years ago, I got right on board. A lot of people wear them while they run, but I found that as cute as they are, they don't help me personally. I tried them but didn't like it, but I use them more as a recovery after long runs. The purpose of them is to increase blood flow and not have the blood pool, therefore helping with muscle recovery post-run.  I have bright magenta ones and black ones but def want to get a patterned pair. (Perhaps at the marathon expo...)

Foam Roll: I obviously can't afford a massage after every long run I do, so I have to massage my muscles on my own. The best way to do that is with a foam roller. This is literally a round piece of foam that you roll up and down your legs to alleviate muscle soreness. It massages the muscles helping to get the acid out. While doing this, you get that "good pain" of those sore muscles. Ahhhh.

Fuel Belt. On long runs, I need to stay hydrated. Obviously. Although there are usually water fountains along to way, I do not like to stop completely to drink from them. They also don't have Nuun in them like my fuel belt does. So what exactly is a fuel belt? Well, a fuel belt is a belt that has water bottles on it (and a little compartment for gels, keys, metrocard, etc...). It's pretty dorky in my opinion but it's a savior on double digit runs and I am super happy to have it. 

Oh yeah, and just a friendly reminder on the word marathon. It is a measure of distance; not just any race. All marathons are the same distance: 26.2 miles. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says, "oh, you're doing a marathon. How long is this one?" For some reason, this bothers me that they don't know so I just wanted to put that out there! Okay, glad I got that off my chest. Thanks for that.

So, did you learn something new? Or did was this already old stuff to you? What did I miss that's important that us runners discuss often? Hopefully I can loosen up a bit after the marathon and not be so rigid with my working out schedule since I won't be training for anything in particular any time soon. But running is a big part of my life regardless so most of these terms are here to stay!

No comments:

Post a Comment