Sunday, October 6, 2013

All That Goes Into a Race

The New York City Marathon is almost upon us again (one month from today!!) and I once again have mixed emotions of nervousness and excitement. I have worked so hard training for this bad boy and I want my hard work to pay off and have a great race. Duh! If you know me, you know that running has taken over the last 4 months of my life so the end has to justify the means. It has to.

But I am not the only person that has worked hard and is part of this great race. There are so many different components and different people that make the marathon so incredible. There is all the stuff happening behind the scenes months in advance and the stuff right in front of our very own eyes on race day into this. And to be honest, its more than a race, its an event. 26.2 miles is no joke. And when its 26.2 miles through the five boroughs of NYC, its totally one of the best things to ever experience.

Since this is my seventh marathon I know most of what goes into a race. (However it does not make running it any easier.) There's a lot that most people don't realize must happen for everything to fall into place perfectly and make the race a success and positive experience. I don't take any of that for granted and just wanted everyone else to know all that goes into a race like this and how it all comes together to make one exciting event happen.

1) The Race Organizers. Do you know what it takes to stage a race? You need permits, street closures, security, porta potties, water/Gatorade stops, the expo, etc... New York Road Runners has running their races down to a science and the marathon is their pride and joy. They plan all year for this event and with a race as big as the marathon, so many things have to be in place and must be completely seamless. Sure there are always things that can't please everyone, but if they weren't doing it right, people wouldn't keep coming back and making it the premiere race that it is. 

2) Volunteers. They don't have to do this. They are choosing to help out. For free. And they are so incredible. They set up the cups. They pour the water and Gatorade. They hand out the cups so we don't have to stop. They hand out the gels. And they do all this while cheering for the runners. There are kids, teenagers, and adults of all ages at each station and they are all very appreciated for all that they do. Thanks guys!

3) Elite runners. They inspire us. We look up to these athletes. It gives me goosebumps to think about how talented they are. Have you ever gone out and watched the elite runners go by? They are pretty surreal. It's like their feet don't hit the ground; they just glide on the pavement so naturally. I mean, running is their job so of course they must be the best of the best at it, but I am always so blown away when I see them fly by. 

4) The runners in the back of the pack. They inspire us as well. They may not be the fastest, but they are still covering the same 26.2 miles as everyone else. I know there is often debate about whether or not to allow "slower, more casual runners" in the marathon, but they work just as hard as everyone else and deserve to cross that finish line just as much as anyone. As a middle of the pack runner, people even feel this way about me but I feel that anyone who can accomplish running this distance can inspire the otheres to believe they do can do this too. Which they can. Impossible is nothing after all!

5) The fans. There are usually over a million spectators that come out to cheer on the runners. Every single one of them is awesome for going out there and supporting the runners. Family, friends, and even strangers are out there cheering, cow-bell ringing, waving their signs, and giving high fives. They make a difference. Hearing people call out your name as you run and clap and woo-hoo for you as you chug along that course is such an amazing feeling. As someone who has run marathons with huge crowds and one with a very sparse crowd, I can tell you that having people along the course DOES make a huge difference. Not only does it ease the lonliness and boredom of the race, but the encouragement does help! It also gives me something to look forward to as well when I know exactly where to look for them too. I love seeing my friends out there and they know how much the race means to me and how much I appreciate them being out there and supporting me. So thanks in advance guys and you know you will be getting a very detailed from me in a couple weeks about when and where to be so I can see you out there. 

Okay, so four weeks from today (a mere 28 days) is what I (and so many others) have been working their asses off to do. I cannot wait for this day for so many reasons, but regardless of the outcome, the whole experience of training to race day has built more mental and physical strength that I am lucky to earn. Bring it 26.2!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment