Monday, August 25, 2014

I Can't Wait to go Back!

Three years ago I had the worst Ulcerative Colitis flare of my life. I was hospitalized for three days and talk of surgery to remove part of my colon even came up. To say I was terrified would be an understatement. However, that was three years ago and luckily my health is better today. I wish I could say my UC was totally in control but I still get flare ups at least once a year (minimum), but I think I may be on a Remicade and medication treatment plan that is finally consistently working. Ever since being so sick, I vowed to get more involved in the the Crohns and Colitis community through the CCFA (Crohns and Colitis Foundation of America). I even made it one of my goals for the 2014 year.  Even though I've had UC for over ten years, I decided that I want to make getting involved more of a priority.

I have done the Take Steps walk to help raise money and awareness for CCFA, but I wanted to do something more hands-on in the CCFA community. I wanted to meet more people like me and also help others too. One of the things I heard about that combined these two wants was Camp Oasis. Camp Oasis is a one week overnight camp for kids with Crohns and Colitis. I was lucky enough to not have had Colitis when I was a child and grew up very healthy. I went to summer camp as a kid and was a counselor throughout my college years. It was something I really enjoyed because it kept me in touch with my inner child all while getting paid. Working at Camp Oasis as a counselor seemed like the perfect opportunity for me and something I would definitely enjoy. After going through the intensive interview process, I was thrilled to get the job. I was going to spend one week in Elizaville, New York (at the grounds of Camp Scatico) working at Camp Oasis.

When I got my bunk assignment, I was ecstatic that I was working with girls going into twelfth grade. These were the oldest girls in camp and considered to be LIT's (Leaders in Training). Most of these girls had attended camp since they were in fifth grade, but of course there was a newbie or two and some with not as much Camp Oasis experience. I honestly had no idea what to expect about camp but was open to whatever was going to be coming my way. Would the kids be really sick? Weak? Socially behind because of their illness? Would it be hard being a new counselor with a group that has been there for so long? Would they have tons of toilets? Would they have good toilet paper (Charmin Blue FTW)? Will there be cute male counselors? Would I make friends with the other counselors? Would I have fun? Would I be the right fit for what Camp Oasis is all about?

All of these questions were answered almost immediately when I got to camp and I felt at home and comfortable right away. It seemed liked a seamless transition for me because of my experience with camps, with teenagers, and with my Colitis. Everything was so organized (which I always appreciate) and I was lucky enough to get paired with an amazing co-counselor. We immediately hit it off and I knew we'd work well together and become fast friends. The two of us were put in a bunk with our twelve girls and were going to be in charge of giving them the ultimate camp experience in their last year at camp. Our beds were right in the bunk with them and we were all one big happy family for the entire week.

I have not been to overnight camp since I was in fifth grade when my parents shipped me off to Camp Chi and I cried everyday for the entire four weeks. Back then, I clearly wasn't old enough to appreciate the whole overnight camp experience and the close bonds it creates between kids. I was super young back then and regret that I didn't take advantage of that experience, so this was important for me to take that back for myself all while making sure my girls had the best time ever.

Each day at camp was totally structured for the campers. This was definitely a real overnight camp experience for "regular" kids, NOT sick kids. If a stranger came in to camp and didn't know that every single kid in camp had IBD, they would not have a clue this was a camp for kids with such severe illnesses. These kids jumped right in every sport and activity and gave it all they got. For this week, they got to completely be themselves with peers who were exactly like them. It was so awesome to see. The only difference between this camp and a "regular" overnight camp was that at every meal and bedtime, we had to make time for our meds. Both counselors and campers all had to do this. The kids didn't have to feel weird about it because they were all in the same boat. They could discuss their meds with their peers and know they weren't alone and didn't have to be embarrassed. At school, this may not be the case, but here, its the norm. Additionally, we had a rest hour a day just to relax and make sure everyone had enough energy to get through the entire day. Camp can be exhausting, so we wanted to make sure everyone got the rest they needed. Below is a typical day at camp and how each day was run.

Typical Day
8:00: Wake up call (trumpet playing)
8:30: Flagpole (everyone checks in and we raise the flag)
8:40-9:25:  Breakfast (and morning meds)
9:25-9:55: LIT meeting. (All other bunks go back and get ready for the day)
10:00-10:50: Period 1
11:00-11:50: Period 2
12:00-12:50: Lunch (and meds)
1:00-1:50:  Rest Hour
2:00-2:50: Period 3
3:00-3:50: Period 4
3:55-4:10: Snack
4:10-5:00: Period 5
5:00-6:00: Shower Hour
6:00: Flagpole
6:10-7:00: Dinner (and meds)
7:10-8:00- Hobby Hour/Optional
8:15-9:45: Evening Activity (see below)
9:45-10:00: Snack and Meds (then all younger bunks go to bed)
10:00-11:00: LITs in the Canteen/LIT lounge to hang out

Each day during the periods, bunks were assigned activities ranging from rock climbing to basketball to soccer to gaga (see below) to arts and crafts to video to yoga to archery to dodgeball (my fave!!!!) and soooo much more. Also, one period each day (a different one each day) was designated for an all camp Color War event.

Color War is an all camp event where the entire camp divided into four teams mixed with all age groups. Each year there is a theme for Color War, but every year its the same where each group is given a different color bandana which they use to represent their team and they must wear all week somewhere on their person. The kids compete in all-camp events for points for Color War and can also win points for spirit, good deeds, and excellence at activities. We competed in five all-camp events for Color War points: Stratego (a strategy based game of tag), Counselor Hunt (all counselors hide around camp and groups must find them for points), Splashdown in KIWI-town (water competitions), Bucket Brigade (pass lake water in a tin to fill a giant bucket), and Rope Burn (building a fire to burn a rope down).  All were so much fun and the kids got into every event with such gusto and team spirit. Each team had chants and cheers throughout the week. Winning Color War is big deal at Camp Oasis so everyone gets very into it, counselors and campers alike. In case you were wondering, my white team didn't win. :(  There's always next year.

Each night after optional activity (where kids got to pick where they wanted to go) there was a different evening activity. The first night each group had to come up with a little group cheer for themselves so they could introduce themselves to the entire camp. Ususally these are IBD and poop themed, but they don't have to be. Our girls were so clever and came up with a little song to the tune of Rude that went a little something like this... "Why you got so much gas? Don't you know that I have class? Why you got so much gas? I'm gonna let it out anyway..." Then...fart noises! Brillz.

The second night there was Bunk World Records where each group competed in a circuit of 16 events. In these timed events which ranged from football throw to trivia to balance on one leg, all groups were competing against each other for the best score and setting camp records. Bunk pride was on the line here.

The third night there was a Counselors Got Talent show but we had to pick our talent out of a hat at random. My co-counselor and I got "World's Strongest Man or Woman" which was a tough one but we came through with a skit that placed in the top three. Some people got singing/dancing acts, balancing acts, and even a stand up comic act. Ours ended up being pretty good though with me acting as World's Strongest Woman, naturally. HA! We placed the camp egg on stage and had a few people pretend to lift it, very dramatically of course, but they couldn't. Then I stepped up and was able to finally lift it up. Winner! The purpose of this night is for the campers to see the counselors loosen up and get up on stage to embarrass themselves so they know its okay to take risks and be themselves with no judgement.

The fourth night was KIWI Carnival at the Oasis where the LIT's organized and ran a carnival for the rest of camp. They had booths with numerous activities and the younger kids (and us counselors) went around and participated. It was a lot of fun and I was totally impressed with what these LIT's came up with. Kids were able to earn tickets at the booths and claimed prizes at the end of the night. Camp was able to get some pretty amazing prizes donated to them and the kids walked away having a fantastic time.

The last night of camp was Bunk Skit Night and closing remarks. Each bunk had to come up with a skit to present to camp. Coming up on stage in front of the whole camp can be terrifying but the confidence this camp gives kids is obvious on this night. Once again, usually they have an IBD theme in them and once again, our girls came up with something pretty clever. Their skit was IBDating! It was like the Bachelor with people who had IBD and they had to receive the plunger (in lieu of a rose) to move on.

Other Noteables:
- Counselors sleep in the same cabin along with their campers. There are two toilets and two showers. All with little privacy. At an IBD camp, I expected more pooping privacy but since it's regular overnight camp and we are just using their grounds, that obviously wasn't the case. Because of the close quarters, all of us woke up together and went to bed together as a family.

- As an LIT counselor, we had a slightly different role than the regular counselors. Our campers were there to be leaders in camp. They helped out the younger groups with some activities and putting them to bed. They also helped work on a camp legacy project where they made a scoreboard for Bunk World Records for all the years to come and helped with the filming of the all camp video. We also didn't have to take them everywhere. As LIT's they could travel around camp during the day in pairs if they needed to get somewhere, especially the bathroom. They also had more options when choosing activities.

- All the activity counselors were the regular Scatico staff who volunteered to stay on this week and donate their time as to giving our campers to best camp experience possible.

- The food at camp was surprisingly good. I fully expected to lose weight at camp because I figured the food would be me mediocre at best. I was very wrong. First of all, it seemed like we were eating all the time.  (Breakfast, lunch, and dinner AND snacks in between lunch and dinner and before bed.) There was always tons of fresh fruit and vegetables available along with all main meals and I took full advantage of that. All that ruffage took a toll on my digestive system but I just happened to be in the right place for that and of course wasn't shy about talking about it. At all. I pooped so much there but I also had to take an absurd amount of Gas-X because of all the fruits and veggies I ate. I definitely didn't miss any meals while there and took full advantage of it all as evidenced by the three pounds I put on while there. Eeeeek.


- Have you heard of Gaga? No it's not a game where we dance to Lady Gaga. It's a game in an enclosed octagon where you hit a ball at people's feet trying to get them out. And it's awesome. I had never heard about it before but apparently there is a recently opened gaga center in my neighborhood too. Who knew? I may just have to get a group of friends together and head on over.

- One day after breakfast, there was an "Ostomy Talk."  One of the counselors who is a nurse but also has an ostomy bag wanted to meet with kids at camp who have bags and others who wanted to learn more about them. I decided to go to this talk because I wanted to learn more about colostomy and ileostomy bags. I learned so much about how they work and how to be comfortable with them. Some campers even decorated their bags with different patterned duct tape and markers. What was incredible during this time was the kids that were not only so knowledgable about ostomy bags, but also not ashamed at all about them and their experiences. It was so inspiring see the confidence they had with them. Right now my UC is basically under control, but I never know when that can change and want to know as much as I can.

- One day during Rest Hour, each cabin had a session called "Ask the Doctor." During this time, three nurses came in our cabin to answer any and all questions my girls had about their diseases. Since many of them had been to camp for so many years and have had Crohns or Colitis for so long, they know mostly everything they have wanted to know so we discussed more social issues of having IBD and challenges that may lie ahead with having IBD in college. Once again, I found this to be super informative and was once again impressed with the maturity of my girls and how they discuss their disease with their friends at home.

Sidenotes: 
-Ummm, I learned senior girls have Tinder accounts. Why you ask? For fun. They don't actually meet people (or so they claim), but they have them to talk to guys. Like in a 100 mile radius. WTF?? My co-counselor and I were so shocked. Teenagers in 2014 are definitely not living the same teenage life I did at 17. I'm actually super thankful Facebook and Instagram (and all this other stuff) didn't exist then. Heck, cell phones didn't even exist then. Geez, I'm old. 

-"Purpling" is the term used when boys and girls try to get together. (Get it? Get it? Blue and pink coming together as one. So clever.) As counselors, our job was to make sure it didn't go beyond anything completely G-rated, especially with these older kids, and especially at the Canteen at night. It's a brilliant term I want to start using on the reg.

- My marathon training took a backseat to camp this week because of time constraints and sheer exhaustion from the long, busy days, but I did get to run one morning. I ran around the camp grounds early in the morning and saw two deer on the way. It was awesome. There is something about seeing deer that excites me so much!

-How can one be at overnight camp and not think of AND quote Wet Hot American Summer? Numerous times. It's pretty much impossible. I would catch myself doing it and laugh to myself. Luckily there were other counselors who understood.
-The lake had The Blob a la Heavyweights! It's always so awesome to see. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to get on it, but still brought back memories. The lake also required a buddy system too which of course always makes me giggle. 

Okay, now to the serious part of this blog post...
THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS: THE TAKEAWAYS

1) As someone who wasn't sick with IBD as a child, I can't even imagine how tough it would have been. I was twenty-two years old when I was diagnosed and it wasn't easy. It was painful. It was scary. It was embarrassing. And it was lonely. And this was all while being an adult. I can't even imagine what a child must be going through while being sick. Kids can be mean to each other and having a digestive disease can't be easy as a child. I still remember when my brother was so sick in middle school and wouldn't eat at school because of fear of having to have to poop there. I remember how long it took the doctors to figure out what was wrong with him and how he didn't feel well every single day for a long time. He may not remember, but I still do and it makes me sad. (Thankfully his Crohns is under control now.) At Camp Oasis, every single kid in camp is or was a sick child. While some have their disease under control now, many still struggle everyday and have a long road of treatment and even surgery ahead of them.

On the final night of camp, our bunk had a big debrief about what camp meant to them. Being with the oldest girls in their last summer at camp, it was beyond emotional. These girls were spilling their hearts out to each other all while sobbing. Many have known each other since fifth grade and have grown up here together. Camp means so much to them and has for so many years and for them to realize this was their last year was heartbreaking. (They can apply to be counselors but its VERY competitive so out of the 50 or so LIT's, there may be one or two counselor spots for them next year.) The stuff they shared was so touching and heart-wrenching.  Even though I knew I had made the right decision volunteering at Camp Oasis, hearing what the girls had to say made it really ring true. They love this camp. It was their safe haven. It was something they looked forward to the other 51 weeks of the year and they were about to age out. They had made lifelong friends who they could relate to them and their disease and they didn't want it to end. The bonds they made at Camp Oasis were not something they didn't have out in the real world and is a major reason why camp is so important.

For me to listen to these girls spill their guts (pun intended) out in between sobs about how important camp was to them just broke me down. I am already a cry-baby as is but watching and listening to twelve high school girls was inspiring to me. These girls are stronger than they will ever know. I can't imagine what some of them went through as sick kids with this IBD and having something like camp to look forward to so they could feel normal and have peers just like them and have people who knew exactly what they were going through. It was so inspiring to hear them speak about their love for camp and what it has given them in life.

2) From this camp, I learned that am not alone with this disease. There are people like me. (Of course I knew this but had never met so many of them.) They are my age and share the same interests as me and know what I have been through. They struggle with the same health struggles as me. Besides my brother and my best friend from college, I don't really know anyone who has Crohn's or Colitis. My brother and I don't even really talk about our diseases with each other because we experienced them in totally different ways and they affect us totally differently.

I now know so many people who have been through what I have and understand the pain, the frequent bathroom trips, the bloody diarrhea, the fevers and nightsweats, and all the medication during and after all of these things. They get it because they've been through it themselves. They understand what it can be like to wake up each and every day and not feel good. They understand the hope you have when you are sick to just wish you can wake up one morning and not feel like shit. Or the hope you lose when you're sick day after day. All of us know how not to take the feeling of health for granted. Don't get me wrong, my two best friends are very supportive and caring when I am flaring, but they haven't gone through it themselves to know the actual pain and the general feeling of "how long will this flare last?" or "When will I get better?" I now feel I have people who I can talk to about these things if I need to. Additionally, they are just like me with my constant talk of poop and farts and don't find it gross or inappropriate because it is a part of their life, like mine.

In our last hour or so at camp, once all the campers had left, the counselors sat around for one final debrief of camp. Everyone was very open and honest about their camp experience this week and hwow camp has shaped them over the years. Many tears were shed and it really put everything into perspective about how all of us are in one boat.  I am so happy to have met so many awesome people that are just like me. So many of them have known each other for many years and have relied on each other in their hard times and created bonds in their weeks at Camp Oasis that can't be formed anywhere else.

It was hard to put into words everything that I took away from the last week because it really was a powerful experience for me. Even in this post, I definitely didn't, and couldn't fully articulate all I wanted to say about how grateful I am for the people I met and the things I learned. The last two emotional days really showed me what a special place Camp Oasis is.

This camp experience is something I'll never forget. Because I came in not knowing what to expect, I was just blown away. I was so impressed by these kids (and adults too) and just think Camp Oasis truly is a special place. It means so much to so many people and is powerful beyond belief. There was a point on the first day where I looked around the room and it hit me that every single person in the room has either Crohns or Colitis; it gave me goosebumps. To those that don't have IBD and don't know what all of us go through, it really can't ever be fully described to someone who hasn't experienced it themselves. To have people finally "get it" was just so refreshing. It made me feel understood and supported and just gave me a sense of belonging I didn't even realize I needed. I'm sure I got just as much out of camp as the kids and can't wait to go back next summer!!

1 comment: