Thursday, August 14, 2014

New decor, New beginnings?

I've lived in my apartment, solo, for the last seven years. In those seven years since moving in, I haven't done anything new to it. It's pretty much the same exact apartment that I created when I first got here and I love it, but it's time to change it up a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love my apartment, I love living by myself, and I would never live with anyone again, unless its a boyfriend and/or husband. Thirty-two with a roommate in New York is a red flag for me. At this age, a single someone should be financially stable enough to be living alone. And although I do get lonely a lot, I still love the fact that this apartment is mine...and all mine!

With the summer ending and some self-realization, I decided I want to make some changes to my apartment. (And my mind and body. Always a work in progress.) I want my 350-square foot apartment (don't laugh! That's NYC for you. And don't even ask what I pay for that either!) to be a little more grown up. With my budget, I will see what I can do, but I'm hoping that with some little changes here and there in the apartment, it will also spur some changes in my life. At the very least, it will make me happier to come home to my place after a long day and relish in it. I'm kind of bored with it and I have at least two more years in it, so it's time for a little change. And for someone who doesn't like change, I'm excited to do this!!  (Hey, if Carol Radziwill can do it, so can I. Although she does have a lot more space, and a lot more money.)

After shopping a little with my mom in HomeGoods when I was home last week, I realized there was some cool stuff out there, and I wanted some of it. They had so much awesome stuff and I started to get some ideas. The first thing I did was buy myself a new comforter. Okay, okay, make that a quilt. I've always like black and white quilts and they are a lot less heavy than comforters so I went for one of those. I went to almost four different stores and numerous websites before I saw one I actually liked and finally made the purchase. I get so hot when I sleep so this was a good choice. Once I put in on my bed (with clean sheets, natch) I realized I wanted a new couch too. My Jennifer Convertibles beige microfiber pull-out sofa has seen better days and I want something black and leather. My search began online and I plan to check on some stuff and hopefully make a purchase this week for something that will fit in my apartment, look good, and still also has a pull out bed. Once I get that done, I plan to redecorate my walls a bit. I want to take down my "artwork" and put up some new decor. HomeGoods and TJMaxx had some great stuff and I can't wait to have a bit of a mini project changing things up in here. ( I still wish I could hang a bike, but that just wouldn't look good in this small of a space.)

I don't know exactly what I am going to do with my current couch once I get a new one (Craigslist or the garbage?) and the artwork (same options?) but I think its time for them to go. I want a little more of an adult vibe in here which can be hard in such a small space when you have so much crap but I'm hoping to make it work. Plus, I think this will be a nice little project for me to do in September. And yes mom, I plan to toss a bunch of "clutter" too. Fingers crossed it comes out the way I have it pictured in my head because I'm ready for some change. If my apartment has a fresh face and new attitude, perhaps I will too!

No comments:

Post a Comment