Thursday, December 1, 2016

This Jewish Girl LOVES Christmas Time

Its December!! It's the last month of 2016 and one of the most cheerful and festive months of the year. I am usually only home in Chicago the last week of Chicago for winter break and only get downtown once or twice in that time, but now that I live here, I get to experience the holidays in the city all winter long. Some of the holiday stuff went up mid-November and now that Thanksgiving is over, most of it is up which makes me so excited. For a Jewish girl, there are few things in life that make me more excited than gaudy, bright, sparkly Christmas decorations. I make zero apologies for it. The brighter and tackier, the better. It makes me soooooo happy!!!

Along with all the holiday decorations and cheer around town, it has admittedly made me a little "homesick" for New York City. This started happening about two weeks ago right before the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I really haven't missed NYC too much since moving here, but seeing the parade on TV and not being there in person for the first time in many years was hard for me.  Then seeing all the pictures of holiday decorations around the city going up started to give me some serious NYC FOMO. I had some holiday traditions in NYC (like running to the Rockefeller Christmas tree super early in the morning and have all to myself) that I will miss greatly, but, and big BUT, I plan to make new holiday traditions here in Chicago as well. In fact, I already did my early morning run to the Millennium Park Christmas tree and had it all to myself!!  Although it was great, I must admit it wasn't as exciting as the Rockefeller one. I have come to realize that some stuff here won't hold a candle to NYC but also, some stuff here is so much better (hello CTA Holiday Train!!!).

So as I think about the upcoming holidays, in typical me-fashion, I made a list of my NYC Christmas Must See/Do's and a Chicago version as well (kind of like a Bucket List of sorts of what to see/do in each city around holiday time). I wanted to kind of compare what I loved in New York during the holiday season (post-Thanksgiving) to what I'm looking forward to seeing and doing here. I mean, why not reminisce a little while looking ahead as well?!?!

NYC Christmas Must See/Do's
I always would go so see/do these
Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree
Radio City Music Hall Tree
New York Palace Christmas Tree 
Bloomberg Tower Christmas Tree
Bryant Park Christmas Tree AND holiday market
Union Square Holiday Market
South Street Seaport Christmas Tree
NYSE Christmas Tree and Menorah
Big Red Ball (tee hee hee) Ornaments and giant christmas light bulbs on Sixth Avenue
Columbus Circle ceiling Changing Colored Stars 
Lumineers at Brookfield Place
Never did, but always wanted to  
Drinks at Rolf's under their gaudy Christmas lights and ornaments
Dyker Heights Christmas Lights
Ice Skating in Bryant Park or Rockefeller Center (never really wanted to do it at either place actually because always so crowded.)

Even though I am missing NYC, I do get to experience a lot of new Christmas cheer here in Chicago that I never got to see and experience before and I'm excited for all this.  So excited in fact, that I already stared checking stuff off of my list before December even began. I have a solid month to get the rest of it all done and really hope I'm able to accomplish the entire list (hopefully with the help of my parents and maybe even some friends...if I finally make some). Some of this stuff I did as a kid but haven't done it in many, many years and some of it is brand new to me and I am super pumped to see/do it.

Chicago Christmas Must See/Do's 
I have seen/done these already (and plan to see/do again most likely)
900 North Christmas tree
Millennium Park Christmas tree
Wrigley Building Christmas tree
Chriskindlmarket 
Garfield Park Conservatory floating trees "flower show"
Macy's Christmas Windows and outside decor
Walnut Room Christmas tree
Union Station Christmas Tree
CTA holiday train 
Magnificent Mile Lights Festival (I only caught a few mins of it though during my work break) 
Haven't seen/done yet, but plan to
Zoo Lights at the Lincoln Park Zoo
Navy Pier Christmas Tree
Water Tower Christmas Tree
Drinks at Butch McGuires under all their gaudy Christmas lights 
Ice Skating on the "ribbon" at Maggie Daley Park 
Ice Skating at Millennium Park (don't know if I really want to do because too crowded)
Museum of Science and Industry "Christmas from Around the World" trees
Sauganash Christmas lights 
Giant ornaments at the North atrium of Prudential Building

Chicago peeps, what else am I missing? What else in Chicago do I need to see that is awesomely festive and bright? Anyone want to join me on my haven't seen/do list? Please let me know so I can have the best first holiday season as an adult here in Chicago. And when that ends, guess what? It's off the NYC for a birthday present for myself. Not only am I excited to head back to NYC for the city vibe and energy (and my friends!!) in general, but I hope some of the Christmas stuff is still up around town so I can get a little taste of it still. But if not, I will have hopefully have had my fill here in Chicago. Happy December everyone and here's to a very merry and happy holiday season ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment