Saturday, March 31, 2018

Big Admission...

I feel like every new post I write lately is the first one in a while, so why would this one be any different? I haven't written in almost two months just because there isn't a ton to report on the comings and goings of my life. And even though my last post was about running, this one will be about it as well, and my next one will most likely be about it too. Sorry not sorry. Running is something that I love to do, is finally back in my life, and it just makes me happy, so I'm going to continue write about it.

Let's start with finally laying it out there right now: I've been training for a marathon. On Saturday April 28, I am set to run the Illinois Marathon in Champaign, Illinois. (It's only one of my favorite places on Earth.) Although I've been posting about most of my long runs on Instagram, I've kind of been keeping the details of this actual marathon training close to the vest. I'm a firm believer in putting your wants and your goals out there in the universe; however, in this case, I've been very hesitant regarding this because of fear. With the injuries to my knee and hamstring last year, I was very cautious to let myself actually believe that I could do this again. In fact, I was so cautious that I trained for over ten weeks before I even officially signed up for the race. I was nervous and scared that I would re-injure myself and everything would go to shit, so I kept holding out. I was working my butt off, getting my runs in, feeling great, enjoying every mile, but at the same time, I just kept waiting for the ball to drop. I know that may not be the best attitude to have, but I had to be realistic about what may happen. I was afraid if I told too many people about my marathon goals, and they didn't happen, I'd be absolutely crushed. Emotionally, I couldn't handle that. However, as we get closer and closer to race day, and I'm knocking out more and more long runs (even my first 20-miler), I am more confident in how my body is responding to my training at the moment (and really hope that posting this doesn't jinx me).

Sure, I want a PR in this race (obvs), but seriously, I'll just be grateful to finally cross that 26.2 finish line (as long as it's under five hours) again after such a long time away from the sport. The fact that I don't have much going for me right now besides this race, being able to train for it has been a blessing for me both physically and mentally. It's given me something to do that I thoroughly enjoy and look forward to. As running tends to be such a positive outlet for me, this training has given me a purpose again; a purpose I so desperately needed. Training for this race has allowed me to find a piece of myself that I lost in the last year not being able to run. It's given me some confidence back, some sense of accomplishment, and the belief that I can and will do this. There are fewer things in life that give me the joy that finishing a race or completing a long training run does. So although some people think I'm nuts for training for yet another marathon (especially in the cold Chicago winter) and putting this kind of pressure (physical and emotional) on myself, this is something I had to do for myself.

This will be my twelfth marathon and although the training (and the race itself) never gets any easier, the preparation for this race, and the actual race itself is a little different than in the past. There are some adjustments I've had to make while prepping for this one, and ones I'm in the midst of preparing for, so take a look at what's been different for me this time around...

1) This is a race I've never done before (but have always wanted to do). I've only ever run the Chicago Marathon (5x), the NYC Marathon (5x), and the Harrisburg (PA) Marathon (1x).  I have a lot of bucket list marathons on my list (Berlin, London, Boston, Marine Corp, etc...), and surprisingly, this was one of them. As I said above, Champaign is one of my happy places. I have such great memories there from college and even before then from basketball camps and visits with my parents. My love of running even began in Champaign during my junior year. In an attempt to lose some weight (standard), I began running. I used to run all around town and explore different parts off-campus, by running. Back then, 6-8 miles were long-ass runs for me, and I couldn't believe I was running that far at the time. About two years ago or so, I heard about the Illinois Marathon through social media and knew I had to run it one day. Why not combine two of my favorite things: running and U of I? Plus it's flat course. It has portions through campus, around both Champaign and Urbana, and ends in...wait for it...Memorial Stadium. The thought of ending on the football field was surreal to me. Even though Illini sports have been an embarrassment the last couple of years, I still bleed orange and blue and I think ending on the football field is so awesome. I even watched the course video online and mentally visualized myself running those streets and surprise, surprise, cried at the end, out of excitement. I can't wait!

2) I've been training all winter. As someone who has only ever run fall marathons, I've only trained for a full marathon in the summer. Chicago summers can brutally hot and humid, but Chicago winters are a whole different animal. It's cold, its windy, its icy, its snowy, and can sometimes be unbearable. Because of that, training for a Spring marathon here can be a real struggle. While I am someone who runs outside in almost all conditions as long as it's safe, a polar vortex or blizzard is not for me. So far, out of my 14 weeks of training, I've had to do five long runs (and only six short ones) inside on the treadmill. Luckily, they weren't bad at all. Other than that, I've run outside a with no real issues. I did however, have to buy a hand held water bottle since the water fountains aren't on in the winter. It took some getting used to carrying/holding it, but I also don't have to worry about being thirsty and dehydrating. Additionally, I know where I can refill it along the way (and find a bathroom if I need one) at McCormick place if I'm going south, which has been such a relief. I never ran that far south in the summer because there is almost no shade along the path once you pass Soldier Field, so I had avoided it for running (but loved it for biking) in the hot summer months. 

3) I'll be traveling there alone and know no one along the course. For the first time ever, I will be running a race with absolutely zero physical support before the race, during the race, or after the race. I've always had friends or my mom at the start line, friends, family, and other familiar faces along the route, or have had my parents or my friends at the finish line for me. This time, I will have none of that. Unfortunately, my parents have an obligation that weekend so can't come with me and I don't know anyone else running the race or that lives down there, so it's just going to be me. Part of me thinks this will be an added challenge to this race because knowing I'm going to see someone along the way at a certain mile marker keeps me going and gives me something to look forward to. Another part of me thinks this will only add to my mental strength of doing yet another thing all alone and overcoming that. It will make me a stronger runner and be a good reminder that I have to count on only me, myself, and I to get through the 26.2 miles and that has to be enough. I've been continuing to work on the mental aspect of my running and think it has improved SO MUCH over the years, and being alone for this race will really put what I've learned to the test.

4) Race day is on a Saturday. Of all the other 11 marathons I've ran, they've always been on a Sunday. The Illinois Marathon is a Saturday which is quite different. It doesn't give me one weekend day to get myself mentally and physically prepared for what's to come. A Saturday race means I have to take off work the day before to drive down to Champaign, get my race stuff, get settled in the hotel and just relax before the big day. I don't want to feel rushed or feel any extra pressure so this will be a tad different, but again, will add to this experience.

5) I've been consistently getting acupuncture. Because of my hamstring issues, I wanted to be pro-active in taking care of any aches and pains. There is pain there often, as well as in my hips, my piriformus, and my calves. Getting older has taken a bit of a toll on my body, but I'm trying to make the proper adjustments to last longer in this sport because I do love it so much. Before my last marathon, I started doing acupuncture the three weeks leading up to the race to make sure my hamstring would last, and I felt it made a difference in a positive way. Since that experience, I've been doing it once a week since week five of training and even if it's a placebo, I think it's working and I'm going to continue with my appointments up until the race. (I also tried out Cryotherapy which I kinda, sorta loved also. As a big fan of ice baths, this took it to the next level with a 3-min hit of freezing cold air over my entire body.)

So there you have it, my big admission (phew) to what I've been putting a majority of my time and effort (and blood, sweat, and tears....literally) into lately. I am so focused on making this happen and really can't wait for the big day. I've worked so hard for this and the sheer amount of importance that this race means to me right now (on so many levels) shockingly can't be put into words. Please send all good vibes this way as I continue the last four weeks of this journey.

1 comment:

  1. We are so excited to cheer you on in April! Thank you for choosing our race and sharing your vulnerable story.

    ReplyDelete