Wednesday, October 31, 2012

I am a Halloweenie

Today is Halloween. It's a holiday of candy, costumes, and scary movies. Oh, and did I mention candy? I like candy. While most people love Halloween because they love watching horror films, I am not one of those people. I simply don't do scary movies. They terrify me.  I am what you would call a Halloweenie. I said Weenie. Hehe. Nightmare on Elm Street? No way. Friday the 13th. I don't think so.  The Exorcist. Not a chance. I have never even seen Scream because I knew it would scare me. Once, at a sleepover while all my friends were watching Candyman, I hung out upstairs with my friends mother. I already have a wandering mind and I don't need scary movies adding fears.

There are non Halloween movies that I have seen that still haunt me like Arachnophobia and Jaws so I try to avoid any type of movie that will instill fear or paranoia in me. Jaws is literally one of the reasons I will not go above my knees in the ocean. And against better judgement I once even watched Open Water. Bad idea. Nightmares. But anyway, you get the idea, I am a gigantic wuss when it comes to scary movies. So when Halloween rolls around, I tend to steer toward wholesome, family Halloween oriented flicks, most of which are happen to be shown on ABC Family on the days and weeks leading up to Halloween. (Yes, I am 30-years-old and do love this channel. So what?) So when Halloween time is upon us I make sure and watch each one of these at least one time. But usually I end up watching a few of them over and over again. 

Some of my non-scary, absolute opposite of horror movie Halloween faves are as follows...
Preface: Only one of these is an actual Halloween themed movies while all the others are played during this time because of their so-called scary nature.

1) Hocus Pocus. My absolute favorite of all Halloween movies. (Buzzfeed agrees.) Great plot. Fun costumes. Funny jokes. And songs too. This movie basically got it all! Oh yeah, and Sara Jessica Parker and an awesome Bette Midler (with buck teeth). It really can do no wrong in my eyes. (And for some fun facts on the movie, click here.)

Side note: I've been to Salem, Mass before and the entire time I was there, even though it was summer, I felt super cool like I was in the movie. I even went to the museum there and learned about the witch trials. Good stuff.
2) Teen Witch. Okay, not so much a Halloween movie but since it has a "witch" in it and it plays during Halloween so it counts. (Plus it was always one of my year-round favorites growing up.) Louise, the nerdy teenager, finds out she is a witch and uses her powers to become popular, win the man of her dreams, and torture a teacher that did her wrong. It also has some pretty sweet music scenes. You can't really hate on a movie with white boys rapping?!

Fun Fact: The main character Louise is the older sister of Gossip Girl's Blake Lively. 
3)Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Luke Perry And Kristi Swanson. Paul Ruben (Pee-Wee!!) and Donald Southerland. The cast of this movie is fantastic. And the plot is even better. A teenage vampire killer? And this movie was the shit before vampires even became a thing. This movie was certainly ahead of its time. Buffy kicks some ass and wins the guy. Win-Win.
4) Edward Scissorhands. Johnny Depp doesn't do it for me. At all. But this movie is great albeit super strange. As a creation of a mad scientist, Edward is brought in by a local family and becomes a neighborhood fixture for tree-trimming and hairstyling. He also gets set up by the daughter's (Winona Ryder) boyfriend and trouble ensues. Overall a pretty good flick.
5) Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice. Uh oh. I said it three times! Geena Davis, Alec Baldwin, and Winona Ryder (again). This one always intrigued me because of the silly song and dance scenes and the sense of humor of Beetlejuice himself.
Honorable Mention just for fun: Mean Girls. Okay, okay, totally not a Halloween movie at all nor is it even shown this time of year, but the Halloween scene is a great definition of what Halloween is about for teenagers and young adult females.

I wish I wasn't such a gigantic wuss baby when it comes to scary movies but I am. Soon enough it will be Thanksgiving and then Christmas when I can set my movie goals on watching the same Christmas movies over and over again. Until then, I will try not to stuff my face with too much Halloween candy, but no promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment