Monday, February 4, 2013

Just say NO to meggings

New trends are constantly hitting the streets. Especially in a fashion conscious city like NYC where anything goes. You see people wearing all kinds of clothes, accessories, and styles on the street everyday. Trendy or not, people wear what they please around here. As they should. But when a trend hits, you see it in most places, especially around these parts. Some of these trends look really good and some not so much at all. There are some wacky trends that actually do look good on certain people and on others looks absolutely ridic. Some people can just pull stuff off and it works. I however, am not one of those people and that's okay. I don't mind. Especially for trends that I straight up don't understand. For me, trendy does not always equal cute. Not on me. And not on anyone. Like the following...

1) Duck feet nails. Now nail trends are big these days. People are doing crazy things to their nails and most of them I can get behind. Even though I rarely paint my nails, I know what's in style. But one nail trend I can't get behind is duck feet nails. (Click HERE. For reals.) I first saw these on Tracy on Jerseylicious and was totally aghast. I wondered how she could style hair, heck even do such everyday tasks as texting, typing, picking her nose, etc... These nails not only look awful, but they are clearly not very functional. Stereotypically they are very "Jersey" or "Long Island" and therefore I occasionally see them on women in NYC. Not a good look chicas.

2) Ombré hair with non-traditional colors. I like ombré hair. It looks pretty cool and its a stylish way to grow out one's roots as well if done correctly. However, I can't get on board with the pinks and purples and other non-traditional colors. Even on a girls as cute as Lauren Conrad, this just doesn't look right.


3) Facial piercings. Marilyn piercings. Dimple piercings. (Hello Amanda Bynes.) I just don't really get them. They don't necessarily look bad on everyone, but I just don't get it. And where in the heck do these piercings connect without falling out? It's not like there is a backing. Or is there? I really have no idea. I just don't get it. Is the point to look like a mole or a birthmark? And when you take it out, will it scar? Someone fill me in on this one.

4) Feathers in the hair. I mean, really? Feathers. In your hair. Why? When I see these I can't help of think of almost every character on this season's Teen Mom 2. Like, did they get offered a discount for them? Did Kesha inspire them all? Or just Jenelle? And how can you brush your hair with them in? How long do they last? Why do you think they look good? (These are almost as bad as Adrienne's hair tinsel extensions in RHOBH season 1. Tacky. Tacky. Tacky. Even more so on grown women.)

5) Meggings. This one is for the men. Men+Legging=Meggings. And they are also so very NOT okay in my book. Guys in skinny jeans are yucky enough for me, but meggings really are so very unattractive. As if murses, manpris, and mandals were bad enough, these really take the cake. Dudes, please "just say no" to meggings.

To each their own. However, in these cases, I just can't get on board. Not for me, and not for a majority of the population. Additionally, I don't mind not being trendy because if something doesn't look good on me, I am not going to wear it regardless how popular it is. And sometimes, with many of these things, I wonder how they got so popular in the first place. 

1 comment: