Monday, February 11, 2013

I drank the Kool-Aid

Who doesn't love to have that feeling of walking on air? Of being so happy you feel like you can do anything? Of having the confidence to feel like you can strut down the street? Like people can smell the awesomeness on you? And you just have that little twinkle in your eyes?

Now, how often do you actually have that feeling? That totally awesome I-can-do-anything feeling? (It's the best, right?)

Do you get it everyday? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? And when you have that feeling, how long does it last? Do you do all you can to hold on to it?

Is it a person that makes you feel that way? A meal you just ate? An outfit you wear? A task you accomplished? Or an activity you do?


It sounds so corny, and I hate to be "one of those girls," but for me, that feeling comes after finishing a SoulCycle class. I knew from the moment I began my first class that I was sold. Or shall I say Souled? (Get it? Get it?) I never in a million years thought I'd become one of those people that would become obsessed with something like this because I don't allow myself to do so. I know better. Usually. I had heard SoulCycle has a cult-like following, and now I know why. And fear I have become a part of it. Yessir, I drank the SoulCycle Kool-Aid. And now that I have had a taste of it, I want more. There is just something about their classes, something that makes me feel so good about myself. As someone who constantly struggles with a lot of self-image issues, these classes have been good for both my body and my mind. And I can't argue with that.

I am not afraid to now say that I am now one of those wackos/devoted spinners who pays $34 a class. Yipes. I am going about 1-2 times a week for now and find that any extra money I make goes to my "SoulCycle fund." I am paying for the workout, the inspiration (most teachers shout out motivators that I am, and have always been a sucker for), and for the overall enjoyment of it all. I really do enjoy getting my ass-kicked. It's the athlete in me. (And heck, also the legend, warrior, renegade, and rockstar too.) But really, how often do you really find something that you love and that makes you feel great? And if that is the case, can you really put a price on that? (Still undecided on that. Leaning toward yes. Stay tuned.)

While the SoulCycle mantra "Take your journey. Change your body. Find your Soul" may be a little "deep" for a workout studio, I do respect the mental component of it. I need more positivity in my life (Who doesn't?) and the journey in finding and achieving it is one worth pursuing. When the body does things that you didn't think it was capable of doing, it feels amazing. I love finding out how strong I can be. Allowing myself to really push my limits. Physically and mentally. This is definitely a feeling I can get use to and one that I want to hold on to and build upon. I am welcoming this so-called journey. I am trying to find my soul. I know it's there, and I know its a special one that comes out every now and again, but I want it to be a mainstay. I think for a while, it was disappearing and a feeling of strength was one that I have been missing in my life for a little while. Who wouldn't want to feel the goodness in them self like this if they had the choice?

The last time I have felt like this great and positive was after my long marathon training runs (and of course the marathon itself). All those runs were with me, myself, and I. Once completed, I would feel unstoppable and so proud of myself. Sure those runs cost $0, but they were lonely and sometimes uninspired. Even though I am the one that signed up for the 26.2, I dreaded every long run. I never regretted any of them after I finished them because to be able to run 16, 18, or 20 miles is pretty amazing. But if I can get that amazing feeling having fun AND working out, its just such a treat. And for me, SoulCycle is that treat.

Every Soul class I sign up for, I get so excited for it. Whether its a 6 am class or a 2 pm class, I look forward to it. I look forward to the music, the sweat, the camaraderie, the spirit, the energy, the enthusiasm... Shall I continue? Seriously, what are they putting in the water over there?

I didn't think I'd buy into the concept of SoulCycle not just being another spin class, but a feeling. A mindset. An energy. But, alas, I did.  It just feels so damn good. And I want to incorporate all the good vibes I get from class into all aspects of my everyday life. (And because I can't afford SoulCycle the 5-7 times a week I wish I could, I have to take it all in when I am there and hold it with me as long as I can.) The time I have spent at SoulCycle so far, I am liking the changes I see in myself. Sure I have seen zero changes in my body (If I am paying this now, imagine how much I'd shell out if I actually did see the pounds melt off, the abs get flat, and the arms get buff?) but I feel my mindset changing. And this is important to me as well. I am seeing things in a more positive light lately. This feeling lasts beyond those 45 minutes in class and extends throughout the day. I feel strong, pure, healthy, empowered, and ready to take on whatever is put in front of me. And I love that. Who wouldn't? Yep, it def looks like I'm Souled.

2 comments: