Monday, January 28, 2013

A Nice Little Sunday

I know many of you read this blog for my wit, my wisdom, and my random observations. AmIright? And of course, sometimes you even read for the daily minutiae of my life. Well, today, this post is about just that. In fact, its about yesterday. My nice little Sunday.

Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. More often than not, I use it just as that. Sometimes I will sit in my pj's all day watching TV, shower in the late afternoon only to put on a new pair of pj's. Those kind of Sunday's are awesome. Sometimes I will run errands all day and be super productive, but that's just exhausting for my last day before work starts up again. (And frankly, that's what Saturdays are for.) Other times, I will have a nice mix of relaxing and getting shit done. But not yesterday. This was a super-active one. And it was superb.

Since yesterday was such a fantastic Sunday, I felt the need to share. Naturally. I knew it was going to be a busy one so of course I planned to get plenty of rest as is par for the course for me. Of course I didn't sleep in, because I am old and if I sleep past 8 its a miracle, but I digress. This Sunday wasn't great because it had the makings of a typical NYC Sunday of boozy brunch and walking around, but it had activities. And I love "doing things." And yesterday I did three things that really made my day complete and were just so much damn fun. They were as follows...

1) Took my first Flywheel class. After LOVING my SoulCycle class last week and taking another one during the week, I wanted to try Flywheel as well. Unlike SoulCycle, Flywheel offers their first classes for FREE. They are speaking my language so I obviously couldn't turn down an opportunity to take this class ASAP. Because I am an impulsive person, I really wanted to take it right away and had planned to do it yesterday with a friend.

I had heard Flywheel was a more competitive atmospshere than SoulCycle but had similar awesome music and enthusiastic environment. And once again, weight lifting was incorporated into the class. Such a great bonus. This class was definitely not a let down. Arm (and everywhere) sweat galore. The music was good and the instructor was fabulous. The bikes also had gadgets on them that showed your resistance levels and RPM's so you could see how fast you were going and the instructor would give you ranges on where you should be for the best burn. At the end of class, there was a board that showed where you ranked within the class. (You picked a "screenname" previously and could decide if you wanted to be on the board or not.) It was a cool concept and a great workout. I left very pleased.

2) Played Dodgeball. I use to play on a dodgeball team like two years ago and we even were repeat league championships. Yep, we were that awesome. We went into retirement after our second championship and then some people decided to play again this year. I didn't join this year because I joined a basketball league and the cost of playing both sports would have been too much for me (along with my new spinning habit) and they may have overlapped with each other on the weekend which wouldn't have been good because I wouldn't have been able to play both at the same time obviously. Anyway, I received an email to sub for my old team yesterday and it didn't overlap with anything else so I decided to play. What's a better thing to do on a Sunday (or any day for that matter) than to throw a ball as hard as you can at someone? Not much. It's such a great way to get out any frustration or anger from the previous week. And it is so much fun. Winning doesn't hurt either. In fact, winning makes things so much better. And way more fun. And win we did. P.S. Thanks again Dad for teaching me to throw like a dude. It's always appreciated by my teammates. And god forbid I throw like a girl. Ick!!  

Clearly this is me dunking. Clearly.
3) Played Basketball. After a two year hiatus from playing basketball because my last experience was so frustrating (i.e. everyone sucked!), I decided to try a new league this time around. This was our team's fourth game. It's a 4-on-4 men's league with a few females. I happen to be one of those females and I am definitely holding my own with these guys. 

Our team is made up of a bunch of random players. Let me break it down for you... We have the two guys that are my height (5'3'') and think they are amazing. Newsflash: They are not. They also happen to be the two biggest ball hogs on the court. They are what my dad likes to call "black holes." That's because once they get the ball in their hands, no one sees it again. Annoying. This makes for many eye rolls on my end and some cursing as well. Also, fact: I would destroy either one of them in one-on-one. Destroy. There is also a tall, skinny guy who I estimate has played basketball maybe five times before this. Ugh. We have one other female who is tall, but seems afraid of contact and has terrible hands. Another guy who just kind of parks himself behind the three point line and if he gets the ball, shoots it. Sometimes it goes in, sometimes it doesn't. The other two guys on my team are tall and good and know how to use their bodies, but its difficult when the three of us don't get the ball that often. And of course, since none of us have ever played together before, its more than frustrating because we can't read each other very well. But still, being out on the court, and lighting it up is incredible. And yes, I still light it up. Sure winning with this team would make things even better, but with this motley cruë, I don't know if that's in the cards. I'll take what I can get, but just being out there reminds me how much I love basketball and miss playing on a regular basis.

Pretty active day, right? YES! I loved every second of it. It always amazes me how being so active can improve my mood so much. (And this is coming from someone who works out 5+ times a week.) From spin classes to playing sports, I love it all. And I am not ashamed to say that I am excel at it. Doing these things is beneficial for my self-image (which is much needed). But really, the endorphin high I get is no joke either.

Mixed in with preparing for the week ahead (cleaning up, making lunch, etc...), and resting a bit, this day was exhausting, but oh-so-worth-it. Sure I totally crashed when I got home and slept like a baby after icing and taking Tylenol, but it was so much fun. I wish I could afford to keep busy and active like this all the time. Unfortch all of these things do cost money and there are so many things I want to do that I just can't afford all at once. But for now, I will make splurges here and there and do what I can to keep busy and have fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment