Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sweet Dreams

I love my sleep. It seems though no matter how much sleep I get I am always tired. But such is life. I aim to get 8-10 hours of sleep every night. Sounds like a lot, but if I don't get it, I am not so much a happy camper. Some nights I am fast asleep and don't remember a damn thing because I slept so soundly. Other nights I have some pretty random and pretty interesting dreams. The other night I was dreaming and in my dream my alarm clock went off. Strangely enough, my alarm clock went off in real life too. It was time to wake-up in both my dream and real life. I found it to be the weirdest thing. And the first time something like that had happened. I was telling someone about this that day and we started talking about all the weird things that happen in your dreams.

Sometimes I can remember dreams vividly and other times its all just a fog. Ever sleep with your celeb (or real) crush in a dream and wake up only to realize it was indeed only just a dream and not your reality? Such a bummer. Or wake up and be so glad what you just experienced while asleep was indeed only a dream and you are lucky it didn't actually happen. Whatever it may be, dreams can be so vivid and real for one sec and a blur the next sec. However, there are certain things that happen occasionally that I always remember and I think happen to a lot of people. I assume at least one of these has happened to you...

1) When you think you are falling and wake up to catch yourself.  In a dream, you fall. Whether its off a cliff, down a flight of stairs, on the street, whatever it may be. You all of a sudden wake up catching yourself as if you really fell. You may even shriek or scream. It's scary for a sec, then you realize you are safe and in your soft, comfy bed.

2) When you are dreaming and you are at "your house" but its not really your house. You know what I mean, right? Right? You are with some friends and head back to what is supposed to be your house, but it is not your house at all. It may not even be your state, town, neighborhood, etc... Nothing remotely resembles where you live but you know its your house. So weird.

3) When you are dreaming and you are with your "best friend" but it's not really your best friend at all. Sometimes its a celebrity. Sometimes its someone you have never seen before or met. Sometimes it's a friend that you haven't seen or talked to in ages and you actually have no idea how they even came into your brain since you haven't heard anything about them in forever. And of course you then wake up and look them up on Facebook. I always find it funny when someone who hasn't your mind in ages, even decades is my bff in a dream.

4) When you are peeing in a dream and you wake up to double check you didn't wet the bed. This is by far the scariest all dreams. You swear you just went to the bathroom and you quickly check your sheets. You assure yourself they can't be soaked. You that urination was in the dream and not in real life. And if you did it in real life, your sheets and mattress would be wet. This type of dream is usually awoken with a panic and then a quick sigh of relief. Phew.

5) When you are watching a TV show series for quite a few episodes in a row or reading a really good book and then you fall asleep and your dream is all about the show or book. This has happened twice for me with shows and once for a book. This always happens when I have watched/read so much that I finally force myself to go to bed even though I didn't want to stop doing what I was doing and am anxious to keep going but just can't keep my eyes open. It has happened while enjoying my own personal marathons of Big Love and The Wire as well as when I was reading The Hunger Games. In all of those cases my dreams were straight out of those plots. The scenery and the characters were all there.

When I watched Big Love, I was all of sudden in Utah, at BYU looking for a party to go to with two random friends (see #3) but clearly can't find any because everyone is Mormon. There's no pop. No alcohol. Nothing is going on in this place. And then this random girl who I went to middle school with, who was Mormon, showed up to show us around. So bizarre.

I never want to wake up when I see this face in my dream.
While watching The Wire, my dreams involved all the sexy (so sexy!) and powerful drug dealers and sellers on the show. Am I embarrassed for wanting to sleep with some of Baltimore's most dangerous? Nope. They are gorge. Sorry for not being sorry.

And while reading Hunger Games, I was a part of that world. It was intense. I was seeing stuff first hand and couldn't believe it.

I know I am not the only one who has dreams like this. AmIright? Dreams can be super scary, amazing, ridiculous, confusing, and so very vivid. But unfortch we have no control over them. This makes them so mysterious and so unpredictable. But what can you do? Sweet dreams tonight. Hope you have a good one...

No comments:

Post a Comment