Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hungry for the Games

It's almost here. March 23. Random date, huh? No, it's not anyone I know's birthday or anniversary. I'm not heading anywhere exotic on vacation. And it's not the day that I am certain I will meet my future husband. Why its the opening of the Hunger Games movie. And I absolutely cannot wait. I know, I know, I sound like a huge loser making that statement, but I haven't been this excited to see a movie in a while.

I was first introduced to Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Triology last year by a good friend of mine and a student of mine at different times. On separate occasions both of them told me what an amazing series this one and how I must, must read it. They both explained what the books were about to me in their own words, and my response was "um, that sounds dumb. It's so not for me." I mean, did I really want to read about a futuristic world where people are voted in once a year to fight to the death for others entertainment? No I did not. And when I was at the movie theater a little while after that and saw the trailer for the movie, I straight up didn't get it.

Rewind to almost 6 months later and I needed a book to read so after another friend suggested The Hunger Games and literally handed it to me, I decided to give it a go. I mean really, what did I have to lose? Well, let me tell you, I pretty much lost the next 6 days of my life, but it was oh-so-worth-it. The Hunger Games consumed me. I finished all three books finished in six days. Yep. It was THAT GOOD. I seriously could not put it down.  It was so much more than how it was explained to me so I am glad I gave it a chance even though it took me so long to come around. With all the free time I had, I read the first book in a day and half and then could not wait to start the second. I had to get my hands on it. Immediately. And I did. I read that one in two days, and then the third in two days. During these six days, I ate, drank, and slept The Hunger Games. No joke. I mean, every dream I had in those five nights were about the book and its characters. What would happen next?? I could not wait. And when I finally finished the series I felt some sadness. It was over. But certainly not forgotten. I of course immediately IMDB'ed the movie so I could watch all the trailers. And they were AWESOME. I seriously had a countdown in my head til it comes out.

Let me tell you, I am not someone who waits in line to see a movie when it arrives. (I didn't even do that when the first Sex and the City movie came out. I waited until a very early matinee the second day.) I am not a fan of the crowds and the lines. However,  although I know I will not wait in line with people dressed in costumes to see the movie the very moment it opens, I do plan to see it opening weekend, or that Monday after work at the very latest. I worked hard to read those books and I enjoyed them thoroughly so I do want to treat myself to see the movie early before I hear any spoiling details. I just hope they have already begun filming the second and third movies. Also, I know the case usually goes the books are better than the movies, but I really have high hopes for this movie so I hope it doesn't let me down.

If I have not inspired you enough to start reading this book, then what more do I need to do? It has love, fashion, violence, family values, hope, and so much more. So what are you waiting for? You have plenty of time before March 23 to read all three books. And trust me, you will not be able to put them down. Go. Really, go now.

1 comment: