Friday, March 30, 2012

So Cool

Growing up, I watched a lot of movies. In elementary and middle school, I would watch movies about teenagers and young adults and only hope my high school experience would be like theirs. They were female lead roles in these movies that I wanted to be like. They were so pretty. So cool. Had tons of fun. Tons of guys. And just lived a great life. I wanted to be like them when I got to high school. These chicks were the shit.

Cindy Mancini (Can't Buy Me Love). Cindy was so freaking cool that she got paid $1000 by a nerd so he could hang out with her. He took him from "totally geek to totally chic". She was such a leader that just by hanging out with her, he became cool by association. She was captain of the cheerleading squad (something that NEVER interested me) and had her college football playing boyfriend. Her style was impeccable and she had a good relationship with her mom. And not to mention, she secretly wrote poetry. Girl was not one-dimensional. No wonder everyone wanted to be like Cindy.


Chris Parker (Adventures In Babysitting). Of course I knew babysitting was such a cool job. You got paid (cash!!) to watch other people's kids, eat their food, and hang out. What could be so bad? Chris also was beautiful and cool and all the guys liked her, including the boy she babysat for. Her night out on the town babysitting one evening was not anything I would ever want to happen to me, but she handled herself like a pro. Remember, "don't fuck with the babysitter." And don't even get me started with her bedroom dance scene to "Then He Kissed Me." Amaze.

Katie Simpson (She's Out of Control). Katie was an ugly nerd until her father's girlfriend got her hair straightened, contacts instead of glasses, and her braces off. Obviously no one noticed how beautiful, cool, and rebellious she was before this, but once she "transformed" she couldn't keep the boys away. I wanted to be the "new Katie" and do all she could do.

Janey Glenn (Girl's Just Wanna Have Fun).  Sarah Jessica Parker before she was Carrie Bradshaw. She was a nerdy prep school girl who just wanted to dance. I mean, really, who doesn't? Janie wanted to live the dream of being on Dance TV even if it meant lying to her parents. She would sneak out of the house against her militant father's wishes so she could practice for her audition with stud dance partner. Of course they butt heads at first, only to fall for each other in the end with their amazing dance routine.  Why couldn't I find a dance partner like that? Or rock those outfits?

If you have not see any more the movies I mentioned above, then stop reading now, and go add them to your Netflix queue. They are awesome. They are movies I can pop in the DVD player at any time and simply enjoy. They transform me to a time when I was a middle schooler and just wanted to be these girls. And knew my time would eventually come to live a life like theirs. Of course high school was going to be exactly like it is in the moviees. These girls were so cool and I knew, that I could only hope to be half as cool as them. And spoiler alert...mission accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment