Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Maintaining Friendships

BFF's. Like totally. Um, that's really not reality for many of us. Best friends FOREVER. I think not. There are people who are lucky enough to have had the same best friend since they were a little kid. My dad actually is one of those people, but I honestly don't know anyone else who has had that kind of luck and friendship. The truth of the matter is, friends come and go. Some of us still have our college friends in our lives, some us even are close with our high school friends, and then there are some of us who have even maintained relationships with our grade school friends. Many of these relationships have been consistent through the years; however, some saw years when you didn't speak at all, but somehow renewed that friendship again. Then there are those friendships that you thought were real and they totally fall apart. Whether it was distance and/or just a slow growing apart or a big falling out that ended the friendship, we've all been there.

I was always someone that didn't have a large group of friends, but prided myself that the friends I had were good friends. I am a firm believer that relationships need to be reciprocal and if I am putting in more than I am getting out of it, then its not worth it. I want to be as much a priority for someone as I make them for me.  Friendships work two ways and if one person cares more or is putting more effort in a relationship, its not fair and its just not worth it. Also, the people really have to understand each other. And if they don't, the friendship probably won't work out. And that's okay. Why have someone in your life that is supposed to be important to you and vice-versa and they just don't get you?

I don't want to have friends just for the sake of having friends. If I have one or two great friends, then I am set. Totally fine. And yes, I believe you can have friends for different things in your life. Your activity friends. Your going out and partying friends. Your sit around in your pj's friends. And your I-trust-you-with-my-life friends. Sometimes they are one in the same. And sometimes they fall into one or multiple categories. Sometimes they start in one and move to another. However, if you don't see them staying in any of these, it might be time to move on. And that's okay. It's not worth your time and energy faking it. Great, life-long friends can be hard to come by, so treat the ones you see lasting well and they will do the same. And if they don't, I hate to say it, but it's not worth your time.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed. Both people need to try. And if one person is pulling all the weight, maybe they should rethink the friendship. In the long run it is better to lose a friend than to lose yourself in a dead end friendship.

    ReplyDelete