Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Europe, Party of One!

OMG,  I leave for Europe in about three weeks. Ahhhh. So much to do, so little time. Research, shopping, packing. Oh my.  I still can't believe this trip is a reality. I feel super lucky. I also do not feel nearly prepared enough, but still have a bit of time to get my shit together.

As independent as I consider myself to be, there are still a lot of "firsts" that I will be experiencing on this trip. When I talk about them with other people, I feel like I sound childish but, whatevs. I know experiencing these things, even if this point in my life, will make me grow as a woman and definitely mature me. A lot of people my age have done one or all of these things, but I guess now is my time. I can handle it! I still can't believe some of these are actually "firsts" for me, but hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

1) I have never been to Europe before. I know, right? Most people my age have been there at least one time or another. (I actually was going to go as my graduation present from college, but instead got into NYU and moved to NYC right away. I think it worked out okay. Wouldn't you say?) Almost all of my friends have been to numerous European countries. I often feel like the fact I haven't been to Europe makes me feel not very well-traveled or cultured, but better late than never, right? I've hit up Mexico and some Carribbean countries mucho times, Canada, and even Israel, but no Europe. And now here I go, across the pond. I have a feeling after this, I will really catch the travel bug even more, but that's not such a bad thing?

2) I have never traveled utterly and completely alone before. Unless of course you count moving to New York. It's it's own country right? (At least to those of us who live in this bubble.) And I survived. I mean, nine years later, I am alive, well, and still thriving. But besides the big move, I have never traveled alone. I have always gone away with a friend or family member or to visit a friend or family member. I have ventured off on my own to sight see and explore but always had someone to go back to at the end of the day. This time around, that won't be the case.

I actually wanted to travel across Europe alone, but frankly, even at my age, I just wouldn't feel safe. I also didn't want to plan and book all the hotels and transportation from city to city and country to country. This is the reason I booked with a tour group. So although I am going by myself, I really won't be alone-alone. Additionally, I am pretty confident in my ability to meet people and make friends, so I am sure I won't be alone for long, but it can still be nerve-wracking in the beginning. I am not sure the age range of the people on my trip, but I do hope to meet some cool people to hangout with and combine that with some alone time. After all, I do value my "me-time" and will need some of that as well. 

3) I have never stayed in a hotel by myself before. Can you believe that? I am 31 years old and have never stayed in a hotel room by myself. I live alone which some might seem as a bigger deal, but a night in a hotel all by my lonesome? This is a whole new level of independence. It just seems so weird to me. So grown up. I will have three weeks in a hotel room by myself. In fact, I paid a ridic amount of money to make sure I didn't have to share a room with anyone else. With everything with my stomach, I didn't want to worry about a bathroom situation and being uncomfortable. If I want to fart, I want to go ahead and be able to do it. If I want (or have) to poop a million times I should be able to without judgement or concern, and with the door open. Hehe. I also want to be able to have my privacy and not worry about having to "entertain" anyone in the room with me or have forced conversations. And I can't even imagine if I was paired with someone I didn't get along with and had to room with them for three weeks. That would be a nightmare, so the money I spent for a single room also gives me great piece of mind. 

4) I have never been to a country where I don't speak the language. And this time, I am going to many of them. I am glad to start in London when I am alone before I join the tour and at least they speak English. I do have a hard time understanding British accents (no joke!), but its still English.  I have heard though that most people speak English in pretty much all the places I am going so I should be fine. And I will do my best to make do wherever I am. I just don't want to accidentally order something gross at a restaurant. Or worse, get ripped off or anything. Good thing my phone has Google Translate. It may become my overseas go-to app.

Twenty-three days, seven countries, and countless cities later, I know I will have had the experience of a lifetime. I for one cannot wait for this journey to begin and check so many things off my firsts list (and maybe even my bucket list). This will certainly be an adventure and a growing experience for me and I cannot wait.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to have so much effing fun and I could not be more jealous!!! You better be blogging while you're over there so we can keep up with all of your antics :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am taking an iPad with for that purpose! I hope to get a chance to document everything. Perhaps even a steamy Euro love affair. Ha. I kid. I kid.

      Delete