Saturday, June 22, 2013

Let's Hangout!

Hangouts on TV shows are sometimes another character in a show. Whether its a bar, a restaurant, a coffee shop, cafe, etc..., the "gang" usually all hang out there in every episode. They are visible in every episode and can sometimes play a big role. Relationships start and end there. Big events are held here. Daily meals and snacks are eaten here. So needless to say, they are importante. (That means important in Spanish. Ha. You're welcome for that.)

Anyway, I just read an article on hellogiggles.com entitled "5 Awesome TV Hangouts I want to Hang Out At." At first, I thought what a fun topic that would be to write about or even to just read and reminisce. But then, once I read it, I was disappointed. I only agreed with one of the five hangouts the author listed. I couldn't believe how many important ones I felt she missed. I mean, maybe we have totally different tastes in TV (seems like it), but I think she is just off. There are just so many famous TV hangout places she obviously couldn't name them all, but man, did she miss some crucial ones. I immediately felt it was my place to write my own version of this very same topic. And so I did just that. Here are my top five TV show hangouts:

1) Central Perk. Friends. The only one myself and the HelloGiggles author seem to agree on. Not only did it have a super clever name, it had a great ambiance. Although I am not a coffee drinker or one to go to cafés, the Central Perk just seemed to have a very chill vibe where people would want to hang out. Wasn't it amazing too how the couches in the middle were always available for everyone to just sit and hang? Like everyone just knew Ross, Rachel, Monica, Phoebe, Chandler, and Joey were on there way there and they called "dibs." 

2) The Peach Pit. Beverly Hills 90210. Classic. Iconic. I mean, when I saw the title of the original article, this is immediately what came into my head. My number one TV hangout. I so wanted to come here after school with the gang and get a megaburger and slice of pie all while being served by Nat, everyone's surrogate father. Who didn't? How come every high school didn't have a place like this where everyone gathered? Oh right, because its a TV show. Duh.

In the later seasons, there was even the Peach Pit After Dark. So freaking cool for those 21 and up. They even got Color Me Badd and En Vogue to perform there along with many others. Cream of the crop music artists of that time. I don't know how they managed it, but they did. The joys of TV perks.

3) The Max. Saved by the Bell. Um, hello, this place was the shit also. The bright colors and aesthetics alone made it pretty great. At first, there was an actual man named Max that did magic there. I don't exactly know what happened to him, but the Max still seemed like a pretty great place to go grab lunch or shakes after school. And hey, even the principal came here too. That wasn't weird at all?!

4) Luke's. Gilmore Girls. I always wished I could eat like Lorelai and Rory. They would order tons of chinese food and pizza at home and have snacks and junk food galore at home. And when they ate out and went to Luke's. They ate, and ate, and ate, and still maintained these awesome figures. Of course, its TV, but still. The food at Luke's always looked super good from the breakfasts, the pastries, and the burgers. Also it was a great place to get all the Stars Hollow gossip and shenanigans with all the small town regulars like Kirk, Miss Patty, and Babette. 

5) Monks. Seinfeld. The go-to spot of Jerry, George, Elaine, and Kramer. They usually sat at the same table and talked about "nothing". Obviously. But Monks seemed to be a typical NYC neighborhood coffee shop/diner. And, on top of it all, they had a big salad. Always a plus on my list.

Fun Fact that most people know already but I will share anyway: Monks was just the name of the diner on the show and although it exists in real life, that is not the real name. It's called Tom's restaurant and is located in Harlem on 112th and Broadway. It looks exactly the same on the outside as it does on the show but totally different on the inside. I have done the tourist thing and walked up there to take a picture.

Just as I totally disagreed with the HelloGiggles article about hangouts, you might feel the same way about mine. Well, do you? Did I miss any? Or was I totally and completely spot on? Did you want to hang out any of these places too and wish they really existed? Do tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment