Thursday, August 22, 2013

Chicago Still Has my Heart

All my summer blog posts have been about my travels, so why not write another one on that topic, huh? This time, it will be about my trip home to Chicago this past week. I go home every summer since I have the time off, but this was by far my shortest summer trip. It was only seven days long. Sigh. Because my mom went back to work already and both my dad and brother work everyday and I don't have a car there, they didn't think it was a good idea I stay much longer than a week. Usually I would disagree with that and fight to stay longer but because I was gone for so much of the summer already, I wanted to have some free time in NYC to just relax before work starts again. This summer sure flew by. Eight weeks just isn't enough!!

Everyone that knows me, knows that I love going home. I love hanging out with my family and basically lounging around the house. It's like I never left when I am there. I immediately make myself at home while at home. Obvs. Of course there is pool time and downtown time, and plenty of eating time included too. Even though it was a relatively short visit home, there were many highlights this vacay as per usual.

1) Manny's, Joes, and Biaggi's. Food. Yes, food is very important to me and I always have my go-to meals when I am home. Of course the list keeps getting bigger and bigger and sometimes, not all of my food selections can be covered. So much food, so little time. Sometimes I miss some faves, and sometimes old standbys get in there randomly that I just cannot pass up. This trip started off with a trip to Manny's right off the bat. It was a daddy and daughter lunch in the city. This in and of itself is always a treat, but with the fabulous food, it only made it better. I mean, Manny's is only the best corned beef and potato pancake ever. Fact. We rarely get to go, so it's always a treat and always tastes incredible. My second favorite meal of the trip was Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak, and Stonecrab. It's probably one of the best restaurants in the city of Chicago and is always a must-go when I am in town for winter or summer break. No celeb sightings this time around but a fantastic meal as per usual. And let's not forget, a trip home is not a trip home if I don't have at least one chopped salad. Whether it be Portillo's or Go Roma or Wildfire, I need to get my fix. This time I had an oldie-but-a-goodie from Biaggi's. So happy they finally opened one near my house. I haven't had a Biaggi's chopped salad since college and it was just as good as I remembered. My roommate and I used to order them almost once a week back in the day and it is by far one of my favorite salads ever. I am still waiting to find an amazing chopped salad in NYC. Blah. The hunt will continue...

I ate like a queen when I was home. I mean, we can't forget the Lou Malnati's, Garrett's popcorn, Famos, and Dairy Queen (to name a few) that I also had while home. So freaking good!! In a city with as good of cuisine as New York, much of it can't compare with the stuff I grew up with. Yum!

2) Seeing old friends. I really have no friends at home anymore. Pretty much every single friend from home is married, lives in the city, and has their own lives. I really don't go out of my way too much to reach out to or see anyone while I'm home. It sounds pretty shitty, but I have just lived away from home for so long that we have all moved on so I don't bother because time if often limited and we both are super busy. However, it is always so great when I do get to see some of my old friends and this trip home I saw two of my oldest friends. I mean, these are girls I have known since Kindergarten. We have managed to keep in touch on and off for years and when we are together its not hard to pick up where we left off. It's always really fun to sit down and catch up. And gossip too! In my eyes, none of us has changed and I still see the same girls I have known forever. Ladies, it was fabulous seeing you!!

3) Going out on the lake. I am a Lake Michigan girl through and through. The ocean is pretty to look at and all, but it has sharks, and jellyfish, and the great abyss. Not for me. Scary stuff right there. I love the lake. And when I say "the lake," its assumed I mean Lake Michigan. Duh. From Lake Michigan, there are some pretty incredible views of Chicago's amazing skyline. This trip home, my family was lucky enough to get an invite onto my brother's girlfriend's parent's boat. It was such a nice gesture of them to take us out on the lake to get a truly Chicago experience. I do not get to be on a boat to often, so it's always a treat. And this was no different. We could not have asked for better weather the night we went out and the sky was lit up like a rainbow at sunset for a picture perfect boat ride. It truly was such a fun night and even though I was the seventh wheel (my parents, her parents, and them), it was a great time. And no matter how many times I see that Chicago skyline (from any direction), it just never gets old. I could stare and stare and take picture after picture of it as if I'm seeing it for the first time and I love that feeling. Chicago, you will always have my heart because of this!

4) Shopping downtown with my mom. Last summer we didn't get to do this because of the heat wave and its brutal temps and humidity, so it was at the top of the agenda this time around. Although we went when I was home in the winter AND the spring, we make our best efforts to go each season. We also take our "seasonal Bean picture" that has become a tradition for us as well. So has picking up lunch and eating it in Millenium Park while giving commentary on all those that walk by. Oh us! It was a gorgeous weather day when we went down and we hit up a ton of stores on State Street and Michigan Avenue. We always have a good time walking around the city. It's the best.

5) Todd Kraines. Okay, okay, this one has nothing to do with Chicago. It has to do with Keeping Up with Kardashians but my mom and I couldn't stop laughing about it. Since we both watch the show religiously, we discuss it often. We didn't get to watch the episode together this time but laughed and laughed about it. This week's episode had the continuation of a prank the girls and Scott were playing on Kris. Now, I don't laugh out loud often when watching TV and movies, but for some reason, this has me laughing hysterically every time they do it. My mom and I kept reciting the lines (loudly and in public at random moments) and cracking up with each other. "Auntie Kris...It's me...Todd...Todd Kraines." Hilarious. Can't. Stop. Laughing.

It's obvious I love going home. Chicago has so much to offer and I go home any chance I can get.  However, my life is in New York. Maybe one day I can have homes in both places and afford to go up and back as much as I please. Or fly my parents out whenever they want. Until then, I will continue to soak in as much of the Chi and my family as I can when home. And saying goodbye wasn't that hard this time around since my fam is coming in less than two weeks again. Woohoo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment