Saturday, August 3, 2013

Europe By the Numbers


So, my trip is officially over. Waaaaah. I really can't believe it. I simply had an amazing time. I know I've said it before (and I'll probably say it a few more times) but this was most def the trip of a lifetime. I cannot believe how much I saw and did in such a short period of time.

I think going on a group tour was the best way for me to explore Europe my first time around. And going at it solo gave me the confidence to plan a trip by myself in the future.  I also know that I can go by myself for an extended period of time and be just fine. After all, I am my own best friend and my own favorite company.

Going with Insight has spoiled me a bit though and now I may just be accustomed to luxury touring travel. Its pretty fabulous and stress free not having to book hotels. (Well-located and nice hotels at that!) Not having to book trains or planes from country to country. Extra leg room and space on the bus. Not having to wait in lines at big tourist attractions. Not having to lug my suitcase location to location. All huge plusses.

The one major downfall of a tour is that sometimes you are at the mercy of the group with length of time at certain places or the speed at which the tour moves. And sometimes having a pre-selected menus at dinners were annoying (but I could have always bailed on those anyway. I just never did because they had been paid for.) However, I do think the good outweighs the bad in the overall big picture.

This trip was something I was both nervous and anxious about from the get go and I am sad it's over, but I am looking forward to what travel plans may be in store for me in the future. Hopefully the very near future. Below is a bit of an overview of the last three and a half weeks. Europe by the numbers if you will...

24: Number of days in Europe
6108: Number of kilometers traveled by bus this entire trip (from the first day in London to the last day in Paris.) That's 3,795 miles!
8: Number of Countries visited (England, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Italy, Monaco, France, Switzerland)
22: Number of Cities visited (London, Amsterdam, Volendam, Boppard, Rothenburg, Heidelberg, Munich, Mainz, Salzburg, Vienna, Kindberg, Venice (Murano and Burano as well), Rome, Florence, San Gimignano, Pisa, Monte Carlo, Nice, St. Paul De Venne, Paris, Lucerne, Engelberg)
4: Number of languages spoken during the trip (French, German, Italian, English)
18: Number of Australians in my group
1: Number of Canadians in my group
1: Number of Americans in my group (ME!!)
13: Number of hotels stayed in
4: Number of Ice machines in hotels
6: Number of bidets in hotels
0: Number of times I used said bidets (I disappointed myself on this front)
5: Number of times I poorly hand washed my clothes
4: Number of times I ate gelato in Italy (in 6 days)
8: Number of croissants eaten overall (prob more this trip then my entire lifetime overall)
9: Number of times I peed in the bus bathroom (The most out of anyone in the group. Shocking, I know.)
10: Number of times I paid to pee
1: Number of Celeb Sightings (Richard Jefferson)
7: Number of countries I was able to run in (Netherlands (Amsterdam), Germany (Mainz), Austria (Vienna), Italy (Rome), France (Nice), Switzerland (Lucerne), England (London)
1: Number of times I ate fast food (BK and I was desperate for a hamburger. And for the record, it was heavenly and hit the spot!)
2: Number of towers climbed. (San Gimignano and Rothenburg)
2: number of mountain peaks reached (Eagle's Nest, Mt. Pilatus)
7000: Number of Feet in the air I was on the tallest mountain (Mt. Pilatus)
1: Number of rainy days out of 24. (Pretty, pretty lucky!!!)
6.5: Number of hours, on average, of sleep I got each night

Things I lost count of:
      -Number of miles walked
      -Number of times I napped on the bus. (I have never napped so much in my life. I also though have never survived on such little sleep for such an extended period of time)
     - Number of comfort/truck stops made while on the road
     - Number of churches, castles, and fountains seen
     -Number of Kinder Bueno Chocolate bars I ate. (Ooops. I was on vacay, so whatever.)
     
Favorite city: London (my first and last stop) followed closely by Nice, Rome, and Paris

Favorite sight: The Colosseum in Rome (followed closely by The Eiffel Tower in Paris and Tower Bridge in London)

Favorite church: The Duomo in Florence (the facade was beyond impressive)

Favorite excursion/Activity:
Tie: 1) Tuscan lunch up in the hills. Amazing food and gorgeous scenery. 2) Laying out on the beach in Nice.

Favorite meal:
Independent Rome meal in Campo Di Fiori (caprese salad and rigatoni carbonara)

Things I missed from home while in Europe:

    - Charmin Ultra Soft Toilet Paper (The toilet paper there was one ply and rough. My tush is a snob)
    - Watching the local weather and news in the morning
    - Vitamin Water Zero
    - Unlimited 3G Internet access on my phone
    - My parents. (Even though I am 31 years old, I still want to share everything with them. Especially on a trip like this when I am seeing, doing, and experiencing so much. They just seemed so much further away than usual. Yes, I know they physically were, but we were both so busy, and with the time difference it was hard to find time to really connect for an extended period of time.)

Things I didn't really miss too much:
    - Watching my TV shows (but will be excited to clear my DVR and catch up on them)
    - The heat wave in NYC

Things I learned:
    - I CAN navigate a big city alone. It just take me a few turnarounds to get the hang of it.
    - Having a hotel room all to myself is AWESOME!
    - My skill at taking selfies has improved dramatically
    - I can survive for days on end with minimal sleep ( I just don't want to make a habit of it)
    -Washing machines are great because hand washing is not for me. And I think I suck at it. (The laundry service in Rome was a godsend!)

This trip is something I will never, ever forget. I think as a woman, I have grown tremendously because of this experience. I am so proud of myself for taking the risk to go at this alone and do my own thang on such a whim. I have officially caught the travel bug and need to start saving for next summer!

1 comment:

  1. i also want to travel to Europe too~

    Regards, www.lonelyreload.com (A Growing Teenager Diary)

    ReplyDelete