Saturday, February 1, 2014

Memory Jar: Hate the Name, LOVE the idea

Idea of the Jar
So far 2014 has been all about me. (More or less.) I've been all about trying to better myself and make myself happier. Me, me, me. It's been about trying to be more positive mentally and although it continues to be a constant struggle I will not roll over and be complacent. So when I saw this article yesterday on Elite Daily about a memory jar, I was inspired to make this year more memorable and special for myself. 

I had never heard of a memory jar before (and frankly, I don't like the name of it at all so if you have a better one, please let me know in the comments), but I LOVED the idea of it. The jar's purpose is to "Challenge yourself to collect your best moments all year and then empty the jar on New Years Eve." As we know, I love a good challenge, so of course I wanted to take this on. 

I already knew what my first accomplishment would be for the jar: finishing my recent juice cleanse. I mean, that was a mini-goal I achieved and was legit proud of myself for completing it. I still feel great after the cleanse which is probably why this idea stuck out at me so much. I'm all about the clean slate and this project is yet another beginning on this newly created blank canvas that is me.

At the end of 2014, I can sit down and read all of my moments, look back and reflect on all the goodness. Seriously, I love this. For someone like me who is always working toward her next big goal, celebrating the little ones along the way should be important. After all, all these mini-accomplishments are the stepping stones to the big goals anyway. It's important to remember that the end result isn't all that matters, but its also about the journey and experiences that got you there. I should celebrate all the mini-goals along the way more often because they happen more than I even realize and yet don't appreciate them as much as I should.

My jar
After work yesterday I went out and found the perfect jar that all my moments would be collected in. (I found it right away and it was only $3.99!! This was meant to be I tell you! Meant to be.) I couldn't wait to go home, decorate this jar, and get started on this "project."

So what am I going to consider jar-worthy moments? Well, that's all on me. I get to decide. And I think what is going to count for me is stuff that makes me feel good. Point blank, if it makes me happy, it goes in the jar. It could be fitness related. Work related. Boy related. Something hilarious I saw that put a smile on my face. Or just something generally happy or uplifting that I was a part of. At the end of the day, I am the judge of what I deem to be a "moment."

The timing of this Memory Jar (seriously, this name has got to go,) could not have been any better with the start of February today; it's the perfect beginning. (See, meant to be!) As if I haven't already said it, I love this idea so much. I think it's something that will be really good for me and keep me focused on what I want this year. Taking time and reflecting a bit on the positive as this whole thing goes down will be cool. And you know what will be even cooler?  At the end of 2014 when I get to really sit back and read all about my "moments" of the year. This is going to be great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment