Thursday, February 13, 2014

Sports have Shaped Me

Most people that know me well know that sports are an important part of my life. They always have and always will be. I truly believe that all the sports I played when I was younger and the lessons and skills they have taught me have shaped me to be the woman I am today. This is something I am very proud of because I believe that playing sports has made me a strong, independent woman.

This week I attended an event for work at Madison Square Garden for National Girls and Women in Sports Day. Myself and other coaches in my school chaperoned 35 of our female athletes to this event where professional females spoke to our students and sat on a panel and answered questions for our girls. The girls got to see a female nutritionist who works with NFL and MLS teams, a former WNBA player, a college Athletic Director and a high school athletic director. Sports have obviously been an integral part of all these women's lives and they wanted to share their experiences with our girls and show them what sports had afforded for them as women and as professionals today.

I started playing sports early on in my childhood. First it was baseball, then soccer, and then my true love, basketball. In between was a little track, a little more softball, and then a lot of volleyball.  I did the whole travel soccer, club volleyball, and AAU basketball circuit. My parents were basically saints for driving me to practices during the weeks and tourneys almost every weekend, usually far away. They were always there, always cheering me on.  I literally think they missed one game (in rain or shine) from like 4th grade until senior year of high school of any sport I played. If I haven't said it before: Thank you guys!! Love you so much. (And don't know how you did it.)

Not only did I get to see much of the state of Illinois with all the sports travel I did in my youth, I learned so much along the way. Like I said, playing all these sports has shaped me so much and has made me the way I am in what I do in my personal and professional life. My interests and my personality reflect those of an athlete and it is something I am so very proud of. It makes me, me.

So, you might be thinking, what have sports afforded for me? Sure I can shoot a mean jump shot. Set up a perfect outside hit. Toss a spiral in the end zone. And throw a baseball like a dude. So what? These are great and all, but beyond the playing field/court, I learned a lot of other interpersonal and life skills. These are the lessons that I hope that younger female athletes continue to take away from playing sports which is why I encourage participation so much with my students. As I sat at this event listening to the women on the panel speak and the girls asking them questions, it certainly got me thinking "What have sports afforded for me?" I could write on and on and attribute much of who I am to all my athletic experiences. But the ones that stand out for me the most are below...

1) Time management. As an athlete all through high school I had to manage my time wisely and did so very successfully. School, practice or game, homework, bed. That was my routine for pretty much my entire school year. Procrastination was not a word in my vocabulary because of all the things I had on my plate. When something was assigned, I did it and checked it off my list. I am the exact same way today. I plan my life around work, my workouts, my bedtime, and sure, a little fun here and there but I don't leave things until the last minute. It's just not in my DNA. 

2) Competitiveness. This is a blessing and a curse for me. Sometimes I am too competitive for my own good. With myself and with others. I HATE losing and its not something I will ever get use to. Whether it's a card game, a school contest, or an athletic challenge, I hate to fucking lose. It's the worst. And when I am competing against myself I am the first to admit that I am very hard on myself. I think it's because I have high expectations for myself, but I don't see that as a bad thing necessarily. As I've gotten older, I have become better with things that are not in my control, but that doesn't make losing any easier.

3) Determination. I am not a quitter. It's not in me. Since I don't really play competitive sports anymore (minus a co-ed rec league here and there), I need to focus my energy on other stuff like marathons, half-marathons, other fitness goals, and even professional goals. I like to set these goals and work my ass off until I reach them. Sure there might be road blocks along the way, but being able to get over them, learn from them, and keep going is what I do. I learned this at an early age and not many things can stop me from achieving what I put my mind to. 

4) Being able to hold my own with the guys. One of the first sports I played was baseball. Softball wasn't around yet so I played on a boys baseball team. I was one of three girls and about 10 other guys and was one of the better players on the team. This earned me some respect, but also some issues. Of course no boy wants to be beaten by a girl. Not in a race, not in one-on-one, and not even in a damn hula hoop contest. I always loved going against the guys and unapologetically dominating. I still love doing it. Professionally, as a coach and an assistant athletic director, I am constantly dealing with a lot of power-hungry males who think they can talk and act a certain way towards me because I am a female. Well guys, its not going to fly and I will make sure you know this.

5) Networking. Playing so many sports and traveling as much as I did, I was able to meet a lot of people like other athletes and coaches. From playing so many team sports with girls from different schools and neighborhoods, I am a good schmoozer and get along well with others in a group. Having this quality and being able to talk and network with others has helped me tremendously in my professional career. It has opened some doors for me that otherwise might not have been open.

6) Wearing comfy clothes. Yes, I had to go. I love workout clothes! Whether its yoga pants, legit sweatpants or basketball shorts, I am most comfortable in active wear Sure my friends (jokingly?) make fun of me for not wearing "real clothes," but they know its what I am myself in. I wore athletic gear much of my childhood and adolescent years and they are just what I am use to and what I love.

7) My love for other athletes. I am attracted to a certain type. Tall, strong, with an athletic build. It's a must. Additionally, there aren't a lot of things sexier to me than a guy who can dunk a basketball. Or catch a touchdown. Or hit a homerun. (Shall I go on?) So fucking sexy. I could never date or end up with someone that wasn't athletic or wasn't into watching sports. This is something that is a big part of my life and one of my greatest interests so this is non-negotiable.

So what have sports done for you? Have they shaped to you to who you are today? I don't think I'd be the way I am today if it wasn't for all the sports I played in my youth and even as an adult. They continue to be a huge part of my life and I am constantly encouraging the high schoolers I work with to get involved, play on a team, and take advantage of the opportunities in front of them for so many reasons. There are so much that playing sports can teach you that will continue to benefit you off the court/field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment