Sunday, June 19, 2016

It's Definitely Sunny in Philadelphia

Today I went on a very short trip to Philadelphia for the day; #RayRaysOneDayPhillyGetaway. About two weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to go back there since I haven't been in ages. This was my fifth time going to Philly, but really only my second time seeing all the sites. (The first time was with a camp I worked at, the second was a field trip to the science museum, the third was for the Philly Half Marathon, and the fourth was a day trip with my awesome mama.) I knew I didn't need an overnight stay to see everything since the city is small, but also because I still can't run so didn't need to pay for a hotel to get in my usual totally-awesome-full-of-happiness early morning exploratory run. I was bummed I couldn't run there but it saved me some money on a hotel so all I needed was a bus ticket, which luckily only cost me $28.

I had a 6:50 bus this morning leaving from around the Javitz Center so I wanted to give myself plenty of time to get there, especially so early on a Sunday morning. I knew I could easily wait twenty minutes for a train that early on a weekend so I gave myself plenty of time to get there. Shockingly enough, I caught both trains immediately and got to the bus stop in twenty minutes, which is like unheard of. I took the 7 train to the new Hudson Yards station which, nerd alert, I had wanted to see since it opened a few months ago. When I got off there, the station still seemed in pristine condition and was so nice. It must be really far underground because the escalators in there are like super, ridiculously long; like DC and London long. Since I was so early and had a ton of extra time to kill, I walked down to the river for a little bit and then made my way back to the bus line which had started to get a little long. I for sure thought a bus that early on a Sunday wouldn't be that crowded, but I was wrong. Maybe people were visiting their parents for Father's Day? Who knows. But as crowded as it was, I still managed to nab my own row of seats and didn't have to sit next to anyone. Score.

We made great time to getting into Philly and after using the bathroom (duh) once I got there, I started my day. Of course, from the second I got off the bus, I was humming the beginning of The Fresh Prince of Bell-Air song over and over (and throughout the day). In typical me fashion I had planned my whole itinerary in advance and had a list of places to go and see as well as things to eat. I figured out the most strategic way to see them all without having to backtrack too much because not only is it the smart thing to do, it was super hot out. It was 94 degrees today, but luckily very little humidity. (I actually spent almost $15 on beverages trying to stay hydrated today.) My first stop was to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. I had zero desire to actually go in the museum but obviously had to climb the steps and pose with Rocky. From there, I made my way down Benjamin Franklin Parkway passing the Franklin Science Museum (which I've taken a field trip to) and headed to Ditmars Park to see the very famous Love Sculpture. Dilworth Park also has these very cool fountains that were not only functional to play in (I didn't actually play in them but wish I did), but also were just cool to watch. I walked passed City Hall and began the walk to Reading Terminal. I thought maybe I'd get a super early lunch at this point, but couldn't decide what I wanted to eat, so I did a loop and although I passed a ton of goodness, did not end up getting anything. I had originally thought I would get DiNic's famous roast pork sandwich but just wasn't feeling it. I figured I'd go back later if I changed my mind. I had one of my snacks (that I always carry on trips) and kept on my merry way. Up next was the US Mint, the Federal Reserve Building, the Betsy Ross House, and Elfreth's Alley. I remember all of these from my last visit but still had to check them out again. Elfreth's Alley is the oldest residential street in the entire United States and it's incredible that people live on that historic block for a few reasons: 1) people are ALWAYS on your narrow street 2) it must be ridiculously expensive. The prestigiousness for living on that block must make up for the noise and lack of privacy. Although it's usually packed of tourists, I actually had the whole alley to myself for a few minutes which was pretty awesome. I love having super touristy attractions to myself when I'm traveling.

Next up on my list was the most famous Philly site of them all: The Liberty Bell. I'm mildly embarrassed to say I don't remember the history of the bell but know it represents freedom. I don't even remember why it has a crack in it either. I didn't have the patience to read the information there either. I know, I suck for that. But I can tell you a whole lot about science. So there's that! I took a (very unflattering) selfie with the bell and then wanted to eat. Since I was in Philly, I guess I had to get a cheesesteak. It's only necessary, right? Tony Luke's was too far so I decided to head to Geno's and Pat's. The last time I was in Philly my mom and I got one of each and did a taste test. We had liked Pat's better and I had liked the provolone better than the Cheezewiz. However, the last time we were there, one of my friends drove us there. This time around, I didn't have that luxury so I had to put it into GoogleMaps and just follow the directions. Easy, right? Nope. Let's remember how bad I am at reading maps. GoogleMaps had said it was about a 24 minute walk so I knew for me, that's around an 18 minute walk. Every so often I kept checking my phone to see how close I was. When I was ten minutes away I was feeling good, but then another 15 minutes later, I still hadn't reached it. The neighborhood was also getting a little dicey. It had changed quite a bit as I was making my way there, but I didn't think much of it. However, the further I got, the more uncomfortable I felt. It's one thing to be lost in your own city or in a familiar place, but it's another to be lost in an unfamiliar place. When I opened GoogleMaps again it then said I was 17 minutes away. I was a little scared, a lot thirsty, and just uncomfortable at this point. I was about to call an Uber but figured I would just turn around and head back in the direction I came from. About ten minutes into that, I decided to check GoogleMaps one more time. This time it said I was ten minutes away again so I decided to give it one more go. Luckily, I made it there, inhaled my cheesesteak, which I must say was underwhelming, chugged some water, and felt some relief for not being kidnapped and murdered when lost. With a full tummy, it was now time to head down to the water at Spruce Street Harbor Park and Penn's Landing. Although a little nervous about walking back with the fear I'd get lost again, I gave it a go and it was super easy. I had clearly missed a turn on my walk there (which I honestly don't remember seeing on the directions) It happened, I was freaked out, but luckily, all ended A-okay.

I was so warm and a little tired by the time I got to the park so I treated myself to a real Philadelphia Water Ice which was beyond refreshing. However, I needed more water and to actually sit down in some AC for a bit. There happened to be a Hilton over there so I walked in as if I was a guest, went to use their bathroom, filled my water bottle, and found a seat to just relax for a few and charge my phone. It was a nice little break from walking around all day in the heat and it was much needed for both myself and my phone to recharge. I didn't want to waste too much time sitting so after about a half hour, I headed back out. I walked a bit down South Street, popped into Independence Court, and then made my way to Rittenhouse Square. If you read any Jennifer Weiner books, you've probably heard of this neighborhood. I obviously stopped in Lululemon and Athleta, which conveniently happened to be next door to each other. I also went into a WaWa. That's right, WaWa; only one of the best stores on this planet. If you've never been to a WaWa you are missing out. I wasn't hungry and didn't need anything, but could not pass up the chance to do a lap in there. I only wish I had wanted a sandwich because theirs are damn good. When I got to Rittenhouse Square, I actually ran into one of my friends. I knew she was going to be in Philly for the weekend because she had actually offered to give me a ride back instead of taking the bus, but it was so random to run into her right there. We made our plan on when and where to meet-up to head back to the city and I quickly walked back around a bit more, made a pit stop back at Reading Terminal for a quick snack (an absolutely delicious Cannoli from Termini Bros) and then went to meet her and her husband. I was so grateful for the ride home for the fact I would get home quicker, get to be in a car, and have company. My bus wasn't scheduled until 5:45 and even though I had seen everything I needed to see by 2:30, I knew I could kill time before then, but having a ride was just perfection. We made it home in great time and I was showered, fed, and on the couch ready for Game 7.

All in all, today was the perfect one-day getaway. Philly isn't one of those cities that I could picture myself living in (like London or DC), but it's certainly a fun city to visit. There's so much history there. I think I've even read somewhere it's one of the best cities for singles. I could totally be making that up, but who knows. Regardless, even though I had such a short visit, I really enjoyed myself. We all know how much I love to travel!! I covered 18 miles on foot and saw a ton in such a short amount of time. It was totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment