Saturday, June 4, 2016

DC: Click, click

A little after I booked my London trip, I knew I wanted to go back to Washington DC. I went last June and had a totally amazing time running around the city (literally), site-seeing, eating, and catching up with old friends. There is something so awesome about that city that made me want to go back and have #RayRaysDCWeekendGetaway again. So right after London was taken care of, I booked a bus ticket ($1 each way FTW) on Megabus and my hotel (the same one I stayed in last year), and was already excited for what was ahead. Since I saw so much of the city last year, in terms of all the touristy stuff (which frankly, I sometimes can't get enough of), I knew I wanted to see some new stuff this time around on top of the usual go-to's.

I left  NYC Friday afternoon (I had a 4:30 bus reservation) after work and couldn't wait for the weekend ahead. I got to the bus stop a little early and was so concerned we'd be delayed like last time (or always)  because of traffic. However, to my enormous surprise, we actually boarded early and took off fifteen minutes before we were supposed to. It was bizarre to leave eRly and even weirder that the bus was like 30% full, but I had a row to myself had a seat and couldn't have been happier with that. The bus ride took a little over five hours and I arrived in DC at 9:20 and went straight to my hotel. I knew exactly where to go since it's the same place I stayed at last time. Once I got to my room, although late, I knew I had to get out and explore a little. Sinc everything was so familiar to me I headed right to the Capitol. It's like a block from my hotel, and even with the scaffolding, looked beautiful all lit up at night. I could have kept walking for a while but it was dark and late and I knew I had to wind down because I had an early alarm set for myself for the next morning.  I finally fell asleep around midnight (I was just so excited for the next day) only to wake-up to my alarm at 4:40. I know it sounds crazy that I would set an alarm that early on vacation, but I really wanted to see the sunrise in the National Mall over the Washington Monument. It's something I didn't do last time I was here and  I wasn't going to let my hamstring injury stop me this time either, so it was going to happen.

The humidity hit me when I left the hotel (95%, holy crap) but the sky was a beautiful purple and I was afraid I'd miss the sunrise because walking there is obviously more time consuming than running.. I began unintentionally booking it to the Washington Monument, walking down Constitution Avenue at a fast walking pace, reminding myself not to run. It wa so hard not to but I do still feel some pain and don't want it to get any worse. (Plus my PT said no, no, no!) It took a lot of self-control but I know it's for the best. I walked past some of the museums and quickly made my way to the monument, which I had all to myself. It was so freaking cool!! I got a few pictures (duh) and then made my way to the Lincoln Memorial also stopping at the WWII Memorial on the way. By then it was like 5:30, and because it was cloudy there was no pretty sunrise.  I didn't even care because I was here in Washintin-Freaking- DC and was already having such an amazing time. There was set-up by the reflection pool for some kind of concert that ruined the view a little but I didn't let it bother me at all. I was just so grateful to be where I was. I had Honest Abe all to myself and then sat on the steps of the memorial for a little while just taking in the moment. From there, I hit the Tidal Basin to see the FDR Memorial, MLK Memorial, and Thomas Jefferson Memorial. Again, just like last year, I somehow missed the MLK Memorial which annoyed me because the signage for it is just poor. But when I got the Jefferson Memorial, once again, it was awesome to be there virtually solo and have the awesome view from there, across the basin, of the Washington Monument. At this point I had missed the MLK Memorial for good and almost was attacked by some geese, which was super scary (I kid you not). I managed to make my way back around the basin and back by the monument when I spotted the back of the White House. The "click-click" of Scandal has been going through my head all morning but as soon as I caught view of the White House, it went into full gear and I just couldn't stop smiling. I walked around to the front of the White House and with the exception of the crazy protester guy who camps out there and some very handsome secret service against, I had it to myself, which again, was beyond awesome. From there I now knew I had to find this darn MLK Memorial. I had never seen it before because it was new last year and I missed it, and I wasn't letting that happen this time around even if it meant using Google Maps and backtracking, which is exactly what I had to do. When I finally made it there, it was pretty moving. All the famous MLK quotes on the walls and the giant sculpture of the man himself was incredible. I totally got the goosebumps thinking about his famous "I Have A Dream" speech just a couple hundred feet away. I was so glad I sought it out.

At this point, I had walked about 7.5 miles already but I felt I was so close (it's all relative right?) to Arlington Cemetary that I had to go. I would walk there and see what I wanted to see and just take the train back to my hotel. Last year I ran to the Cemetary but didn't go inside the grounds; however, this time, since I was walking and really in no rush at all, I went in. I went to the Kennedy Memorials first and the to then to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I hadn't seen it in almost six years so I didn't want to miss out and not see it again while I was there, even though I was exhausted. I got to the tomb at 8:29, just in time for the changing of the guard at 8:30. There were a lot of camps there with children, but there also was a tour of WWII vets, all in wheelchairs, all in their veteran hats. This struck me pretty intensely. These guys are heroes. They fought for our country, put so much on the line for our freedom, and don't get nearly as much honor as they deserve. It's pretty incredible to think about. (I'm guilty of taking them and all they did for granted.) During the changing of the guard I couldn't help watching them as much as I watched the guards. These men, all my grandpa's age, probably have friends buried here. It's pretty emotional to think about. I got the goosebumps and a little teary thinking about all these men have done for their country and how not many of us truly understand what that means for us today. I thought how much my grandpa would probably really enjoy this experience.  My mom bought him a WWII vet hat last year and he wears it all the time with so much pride and today really shed more light on that. The whole thing just really touched me in a way I didn't think it would. I was so glad I not only got to see the changing of the guard for touristy reasons, but it was just brought to another level sharing it with those vets.

After the changing of the guard, it was time for me to finally head back to the hotel. I was tired and dirty and hungry and just wanted to ice my hamstring and lay down for a bit. I had been walking since 5:00 am. It took me forever to find my way out of the Cemetary and by that time, my Garmin said I had walked eleven miles. Whoa! I covered a lot of ground and needed to relax a little before hitting the town again. I studied the Metro map before coming here so I knew exactly what trains I needed to take back to the hotel. I bought my train card at the station and, two trains (I had to transfer) later, I was back by the hotel. Easy peasy. I'm a natural at public transportation. Boom! I picked up breakfast at Corner Bakery and headed back to my room to eat (read: inhale my breakfast), shower, ice my hammy, and charge my phone.

Half- rested and fully charged, it was time to hit the streets of DC again. Since I didn't need to go to a any museums (I did all the ones I wanted to last year), I decided to head to Georgetown since I had never been there before. I planned out my route on the train and nothing took the train to Foggy Bottom/George Washington University. That neighborhood and that campus are super cute. I walked around a bit and then made my way toward Georgetown. In my two times as an adult in DC I've never walked around the neighborhoods because I stayed and did all the touristy stuff. It's always cool to walk around actual residential neighborhoods and see what they're all about because each one has its own vibe. I had heard tons of good stuff about Georgetown and had even seen a few episodes of DC Cupcake which naturally help pique my interest. There is actually a Georgetown Cupcake in NYC which I've never been to so I didn't really feel the need to go to this one either. (And with the line almost up the block, it was an even easier decision not to go in.) I did however, venture into Forever 21 (I hadn't been in one in probably over a year and I struck out with what I tried on) and also went into Lululemon where I scored. The running shorts (with pockets!!) that I now love were on sale and they had two in my size. Of course I bought both pair; I'm only human.

At this point I knew that Georgetown University was close. And what's better than seeing one college campus? Two college campuses! Obvi.  After unsuccessfully following Google Maps, I asked someone to point me in the direction and made my way on campus. It was totally different than GWU because it was much older. It was beautiful and gothic looking,  but there was an alumni family event and too many  kids were running around everywhere so I didn't stay long. I made my way over the bridge to Virginia to get back on the train. My original plan was to get to the very  famous Ben's Chili Bowl which I've been meaning to try the last two times here and haven't gotten too. However, the trains here were single tracked (uptown and downtown taking turns on one track) so it was awful.  Train wait times were like 20 minutes and I just didn't have the patience. I'll try tomorrow and hope for the best. I'm not dying for a chili half-smoke ( I don't even really like hotdogs, but I also wouldn't turn one down. I was just annoyed because I had passed two other restaurants while walking I would have stopped at that I heard about had I known this wasn't going to happen. I ended up picking up something by my hotel to eat and then just relaxed in my room  until dinner time. My legs were just too tired as I had put in over 17 miles total today. This usually isn't a huge deal but after not working out the last two weeks and getting a ton of rest, they were definitely feeling it. Plus, I'd been up since 4:40 on less than five hours of sleep. I deserved some downtime and kept rationalizing this with myself. It as much needed though.

Once rested, I had dinner plans tonight with my high school friend and her sister. We were planning on going to a restaurant in the neighborhood she lives in. We always have fun when we're together and I even convinced her to take her very first SoulCycle class with me tomorrow. (I can only hope my hamstring is okay. It will be my first real workout in two weeks.)  After all the walking today (prob 19 miles when all was said and done), my legs were exhausted. Heck, my whole body was exhausted. It was a long, productive and most importantly, FUN day. Can't wait to get at it again tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment