Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Hooray for Global Running Day

Today is Global Running, the day formerly known as National Running Day. This is a real holiday for all of us runners. Unfortunately, because of my damn hamstring injury (that was only exacerbated by me stupidly trying to run the Brooklyn Half marathon a couple weeks ago), I can't celebrate this holiday by actually going for a run and it's absolutely destroying me (okay, that was super dramatic, but you get it; I'm pretty miserable not being able to run). I was barely able to run before that race and now that my hamstring was made worse (my PT said it was probably a tiny tear or really bad strain), I really can't run at all. In fact, up until about three days ago, it was still painful to even walk. But even though I've been in pain, I've still been dying to get out for a run. The second it started to feel like it had healed a bit (thanks to ultrasound therapy and electric stimulation therapy), I was so ready to go out and give it a test run, so to speak, but controlled myself because I don't want to cause another setback. I have been going for some walks in lieu of running, but they are certainly nothing like the real deal. Ugh, I miss running!

As many of you know, running is a HUGE part of my life. For someone who is constantly chasing their next goal, it really gives me a purpose. Not to mention, it makes me a happier all-around person. I didn't need to be unable to run to make me not so pleasant to be around. I was not one of those "you don't truly know how much it means to you once you can't do it" because I already knew how important running was to my physical and more importantly, my mental, well-being. I do not take it for granted at all. I know this sounds corny, but running completes me. It has become a part of me; it has become part of who I am: A runner.

In the past on this holiday, I've shared why I run and how people know I'm a runner, but since I can't run today on this Global Running Day, I'm taking a different angle. There is so much to running that has just become the norm to me and I kind of miss it. I wanted to share what I have been missing the most about being a runner the past couple of weeks as I heal up: 

1) Waking up before work to run. One would think that I would appreciate being able to sleep in an hour and a half later every morning. And yeah, its great every once in a while, but fact: any day that starts out with a run is a better day than one without it. I love when my alarm clock goes off as the sun is about to come up, and I pop out bed ready to go and get my miles in. I look forward to seeing that sun rise in the city, get a good sweat on, and getting a head start on everyone else in this city. Not having that has changed my mornings a bit. I'm not as perky, not as cheery, and not nearly as energetic. 

2) I can't use it as an excuse not to go out right now. I go through phases of being super social and wanting to go out and party (these are pretty rare but are usually all strung together) and then phases of just loving staying in and relaxing (more often than not). I am very unapologetic about being anti-social and wanting to run home to get in my sweats and clear my DVR. However, when I really feel the pressure from my friends to go out, I can always use running as an excuse and they mildly back off. I know in my head its not an excuse because it's something I actually want to do, and my friends usually respect it as an excuse because more often than not, I am indeed training for something. Also, it kind of rationalizes my 8:30-9:30 bedtime (even on a Friday or Saturday night. Sorry not sorry.) However, without my early morning wake-up call lately, I haven't had an excuse to stay in so I have actually been going out a little more and having a little fun.

3) I miss eating my Honey Stingers. I know this is a weird thing to miss but seriously, these are my favorite running fuel. Before my morning run, I pop a couple in my mouth and I am out the door. I literally look forward to eating them. They are super delicious and also easy on my stomach. Additionally, they are the only caffeine I ingest. Since I am not running, I don't need them in the morning and since they have caffeine, I can't eat them later in the day or I will never wind down and fall asleep. Caffeine to me is like what I assume crack does to the normal person so I try and stay away from it as much as possible (no coffee or pop for this girl) but this is my little taste of it in the mornings before my run. I have been craving them lately, strictly for the taste, and hope to be able to eat them again soon. (I don't buy the ones without caffeine although equally delicious because I end up eating them like candy and that's no bueno too. In fact, the only reason I buy the ones with caffeine is not for the caffeine itself (I don't need it at all) but because I know I can't won't eat them later in the day. Instant self-control.)

4) I miss getting certain places all to myself (early-bird perks). Since I wake up so early during the week, my body is programmed to do it on the weekends too. This sucks sometimes when I actually want to sleep in but since it happens, I usually try and take advantage of it by running to places that are usually packed with tourists so I can get a little piece of it to myself. There is just something so incredible about having a place that will be packed with thousands of people in a couple of hours and having it all to my lonesome. It never fails to leave me with a perma-smile the rest of the day (and a pretty amazing Instagram picture too, naturally). Additionally, on vacation, I am a huge proponent of getting out early for my runs. I have had some of the most famous tourist attractions to myself because of this and its truly one of the best things ever.Additionally, when you are up early to get around without many other people on the road, you get a great lay of the land of where you are for when you head back out later.

5) New. Shoes. Enough Said. I love shoes. And spandex. And all other activewear. Lululemon, Athleta, Zella, Nike, Adidas, Asics. You name it, I love it and want more of it. I am a firm believer that one cannot own enough leggings and gym shoes. If I could wear running clothes 24/7 I would. And believe me, I've tried. But I digress. My focus here is shoes and there is something about your first run in your brand new pair of shoes that just makes you feel faster, lighter, and just more in-the-zone. I know I'm not alone in feeling this and I have a brand new pair of shoes waiting for me the second I am ready to run again and I can't wait to give them a go.

I am not sure when I will be able to try and run again. I am heading to Washington DC this weekend and one of my favorite things to do there is to go for a morning run and see all the monuments (and have them to myself). Also, my Chicago Marathon training is supposed to kick-off Monday as well. I am okay holding out on not running for another week or two if that means I can go through this training cycle with no pain or injuries. I will not forgive myself for coming back too soon and re-injuring myself. So even though I can't run on Global Running Day and am totally bummed about it, I still want to celebrate it because running is such a big part of my life. Fingers crossed I'll be able to jump out of bed before the sun rises, pop in some Honey-Stingers, lace-up my new shoes, and head on out to explore this awesome city soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment