Monday, January 26, 2015

Sunrise Sensations

I am a morning person. My alarm goes off and I pop out of bed ready to take on the day ahead of me. I do my workouts early in the morning before work starts and its the best way to start my day. I find that on days that I don't workout, I am actually not as awake and personable as my usual charming self. I need those morning endorphins to get me going. I really believe they make me a better person.

Running has allowed me to explore places of this city, and others that I wouldn't necessarily have gotten to see. Whenever I am on vacation I like to go for my morning runs and explore places (with map and phone in hand) that I may not have a chance to see otherwise. I feel that I have gotten to see so much more of some cities, especially on my Europe vacation and even last summer to the Pacific Northwest, because of my passion for running.

Besides getting me going for the day, I like the quiet calmness of the morning in New York City. This is the time when its so early, few people are out and about (especially on the weekends). It sometimes feels as if you have the whole city to yourself. I value this time for me. It really makes me happy.

Happiness is seeing the city come alive in the morning. It really is. Have you ever seen the sun rise over the Jacqueline Onassis Reservoir in Central Park? It's probably the best place to see it happen in the city. It's so gorgeous day after day. It really is something that doesn't get old. And if it does, I can always head east or west to the rivers. Because have you watched it rise over the George Washington Bridge along the Hudson? Or over the Queensboro Bridge along the East River? All pretty freaking beautiful. All really incredible ways to start any day. And although I like to use my runs as as time to "get off the grid" and not have my phone with me, I have started carrying it for one reason: the camera. (I keep everything else is on silent and I won't check anything.) As I've started to take in and appreciate my surroundings more, I have also wanted to capture them to keep. (And Instagram. Duh. I'm only human you know?!?!) Sometimes, seeing that beautiful sunrise is what gets me up in the morning. This can be particularly hard in the winter when I start and end my run before the sun even peaks its head out. It's brutal in fact, but at the off chance I may catch a glimpse, I'll take it and I head out. I've captured some pretty fantastic pictures on these mornings and wanted to share some of them. Some are sunrises and others are just plain old pictures I really, really like from these morning runs. I have logged many miles and have so many pictures taken, but these are my faves.

CENTRAL PARK RUNS

 Reservoir this fall
 Reservoir again...I think over the summer
Reservoir in the Spring
 
Reservoir this winter

 And again...

Central Park in the Spring
And same spot in the Fall

Another fun fall one off the 72nd Street Loop
 
 Fall Perfection from Belvedere Castle
 Harlem Meer Waterfall this winter
EAST RIVER RUNS

East River at 88th street this winter 
 East River at 88th Street this winter another day
 East River at 86th Street this winter.
East River at 78th Street off the footbridge

East Side looking at Randall's Island 103 Street footbridge
Queensboro Bridge view from this Winter
 

WEST SIDE HIGHWAY RUNS
George Washington Bridge along the Hudson this Fall
 Little Red Lighthouse. One of the city's hidden gems under the GW bridge. This summer.

SUMMER STREETS 
Brooklyn Bridge this summer
I mean, how pretty is NYC? Daayyyuumm. I'm not professional photographer by any means; just a girl with an iPhone5 and an Instagram account. Clearly, I have a new affinity for sunrise pictures and scenery along the water. During sunrise, the sky is so pretty with the pinks, yellows, oranges, and blues. And the cloud formations. I just love it. It really doesn't get old. These were just a little taste of some of my favorites over the past year and the different seasons which is why I wanted to share them. I do have a grand plan to print and frame them all. It's just a matter of where to put them. Hmmm. For now, I will keep that alarm set early, lace up my shoes, log those miles, and appreciate this great city. 

No comments:

Post a Comment