Friday, January 16, 2015

Super Spin Songs!!

About two years ago I got my certification to become a spin instructor. I was enjoying taking spin classes so much, I wanted to be able to teach them. I am high energy and enthusiastic so combine this with my love for spinning, I thought it would be great. I couldn't audition for SoulCycle or Flywheel because I didn't have enough experience or the time to make it my full time job which those two studios pretty much require. So the next best thing was to audition at local gyms in hopes of getting a class there. I ended up getting a gig at Boom! Fitness, a local gym in my neighborhood as well as in Murray Hill and got on their sub list. When I finally taught my first class, it was amazing! I loved every second of it. Was I really getting paid to do something I love? To encourage and motivate others to get in shape and get a great workout? To actually earn money while exercising? It was crazy how great it was.

I've got great feedback those first few classes but the subbing gigs were not consistent. I took any offer that fit my schedule and really was enjoying doing it. It really was so fun. I liked putting together the play lists and figuring out how I would work each song. I would have loved to do everything SoulCycle style with all the push-up and even the weights, but it wasn't possible. (I've seriously become such a spin snob. Eeeek.) I did the best with the gym bikes and still felt I gave my classes phenomenal workouts all while enjoying themselves too. It's really the reason I wanted to become a spin instructor in the first place.

Last spring I subbed a little and was even offered my own class at 7 pm on Wednesday night but couldn't commit because of my coaching commitments. I wouldn't be able to guarantee I would make that time every week. It was a huge bummer, so I had to turn it down. And because of all my travel over the summer and coaching and marathon training this fall, I hadn't subbed in a while. That is until last week when I subbed twice!! And both were so great. After class, a bunch of people came up to me to compliment me on my playlist, tell me they really enjoyed the class, and ask me when I usually teach so they could take me again.  I explained I was just a sub but they should tell the manager they liked the class a lot in hopes I would get offered another class when one was available. It felt good to know that people liked it and told me as much!! I subbed again this Wed and it was fab again and I get to do one more time that I know of next Wed. Exciting stuff.

One of the reasons I think my spin class is so successful is because of the music. Music is key in classes like that. Perfect beat. Good mix of old stuff and new stuff as well as a good variety of genres. And I hate to toot my own horn in this department, but I do a very good job at that. (Toot, toot.) There are some songs that are just go-to's time and time again. And there are others I like to mix in occasionally. But currently, these are some of my faves. I wish I could play them every single time, but I don't think my classes would appreciate that. Listen to them. Even if you don't spin, they are great workout songs for anyone. Trust me, you'll enjoy them. Take a listen...

In general:
DJ Earworm- Best of 2014 Mash-Up
 
Rick Ross- Everyday I'm Huslin' 
 Iggy Azalea- Black Widow
Diplo Featuring Faustix- Revolution
For sprints:
Lady Gaga- Gypsy
Calvin Harris- Blame
John Newman- Love Me Again remix

For hills:
Kat Dahlia-Gangsta
A Great Big World Featuring Christina Aguilera- Say Something
Try- Pink

For jumps: 
 BeyoncĂ©- Run the World (Girls)
 
Rihanna and Chris Brown- Birthday Cake Remix
GTA and Filthy Disco- Booty Bounce

So yeah, I just wanted to share some of my faves. Maybe I am just happy to be teaching again. And maybe I just really think I have fab taste in spin music. Who knows. This list could have gone on for a long time, but I resisted a bit. But did you like what you hear? Were you bopping your head to the beat? Singing along? Would you add them to your playlist? Any good ones that you love that I missed that would be great for my next class? Let me know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment