Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Perfect Lazy Day

I thought after running two marathons, life would slow down and I wouldn't be perpetually exhausted. Turns out I was wrong. At the end of October, post-Chicago Marathon, but still pre-NYC Marathon, I finished coaching bowling and started coaching basketball. It was something I was beyond excited for and literally couldn't wait to begin. Now that the season is in full swing and playoffs are approaching, I am so tired. All the damn time. Practice or games every single day, and now on weekends. I mean, I knew it would be this big of a time commitment, but I didn't realize how much energy it would take and how overwhelmed I would feel. This season is draining me. (But at least I am having so much fun doing it.)

I think the best prescription to get back on track for me would be to take a mental health day where I can stay home from work and do nothing. However, there seems to be no good day to do that where it wouldn't inconvenience others and wouldn't make me feel guilty for doing so. I know for my sanity, I should just do it, but I don't want to end up leaving more work for someone else or miss a practice. With everything I do during the week (I am working almost 11 hour days every single day), one would think I'd get to recover and relax on weekends, but that hasn't been the case lately which is why I think I am so on edge all the time. It seems like I never get a break to just have some "Me Time." Weekdays and weekends, constantly working. (Let's not forget the fact I have been teaching morning spin classes once a week and getting in my runs before actually going to work.) All of this is wearing me out and wearing me down physically and mentally. It's stuff I enjoy, but I'm constantly tired, irritable, and feel like I am on the verge of getting sick. Every day. My body (and my mind) need a break. With the playoffs coming, things are about to get more intense. I need to take care of myself now if I want to survive this and go right into flag football season sane.

So with everything going on, I was clearly in desperate need of some relaxation. I needed to unwind, decompress, and recharge my internal battery. As someone who isn't that great at sitting still, I knew this weekend had to be about me doing just that. I wasn't going to force myself to workout if I didn't want to. Or even go outside if I didn't feel like it. I wanted to hunker down and just clear my head a bit. If I needed to be holed up for a day (or two) then I would. I needed a perfect lazy day (or two). And I am pretty good at it when it needs to be done. If I could do that, it would hopefully get me over the hump and give me what I needed to get to February break where I could finally relax a little and then get back to the grind.

I needed the perfect lazy day. A lazy day is different for everyone, and sometimes for me it has different levels of laziness, but the ultimate lazy day looks like this...

1) Stay in your pj's all day. Some of the best lazy day's consist of waking up, laying around in pajamas all day, showering around 5ish, then putting on clean pajamas. It's all in a days work. No bra. No real clothes. Just comfy pj's or sweats all day long. We all know how much I love sweats and yoga pants and workout clothes in general, but sometime actual flannel pajamas on a dreary winter day are a must! 

2) Light a candle. Preferably one with a very holiday scent. Keep it lit all day until the wick runs down. Soak it in. Candles are soothing and relaxing so light one and enjoy. I love how good my apartment smells the next day too with leftover candle scent. 

3) Throw on some slippers. Sometimes those toes get cold and putting on some comfy slippers keep those feetsies warm. Walk around with them and keep your feet as comfortable as the rest of you. Thanks to my parents for my new UGG slippers for Hannukkah keeping me all cozy.

4) Marathon watch some TV show. Although, I am probably one of the only people that still doesn't own Netflix, I can still watch TV like its my job. I hate watching shows on my computer and I also watch enough TV as it is, so don't need more reason to actually buy Netflix. However, if my DVR isn't full, I have quite a few series on DVD including some of the best shows on television: The Wire, Sex and the City, and Friday Night Lights. Plop on that couch, or stay in bed (or go back and forth from one to the other like I tend to do) and watch away. Get sucked in all over again. 

5) Eat what you want. Sure, you aren't burning many calories today from just laying around, but you also want to enjoy yourself while watching your favorite shows or movie. So eat up. Treat yourself. Don't be too shy. This day is earned. Order Seamless. Maybe bake (or no bake) something. Eat ice cream for breakfast (or dinner). Do whatever. Sometimes you just need to let go in this sense. One day won't kill you.

6) Just enjoy doing absolutely nothing. This is obviously the most important part of the whole day. Enjoy yourself. Lay on the couch. Stay in bed. Go to and from the fridge and to and from the bathroom and that's really it. The key to a solid lazy day is doing nothing and loving every second of it because you deserve it. The day is about you so take it in. 

This weekend was great. It was exactly what I needed. I've worked really hard the last few months and haven't had much time to breath. This weekend I finally felt I did just that. I feel a bit rejuvenated and ready to take on the next two weeks before getting a little school vacation. Sure, a snow day this week would be welcome too, but if not, I should be ready to tackle what's ahead of me which is a lot: Basketball playoffs, flag football season, three half-marathon in three months, and so much more. I'm  a go-getter after all. I just need to remember that 1) This stuff really is fun to me and 2) It's okay to stop every once and a while and take a deep breath. In fact, its encouraged. I really do love what I do and just have to better at handling it all at once. Until then, you can find me on the couch until work tomorrow! 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this blogpost! I totally get it. Nothing better than a day in your pj's and not leaving your house! YOU GO GIRL!

    ReplyDelete