Friday, May 18, 2012

No Bake Deliciousness

I am not a huge sweets person, but every once in a while I get a great urge to bake. However, I hate using my oven. (I have lived in my apartment for about four years now and have used my oven three times. Ah, the trials and tribulations of a single NY woman.) Also, since I live alone I don't like to bake because there is no one else to eat what I make and therefore there is always the chance that I will lack self-control and eat the entire batch of whatever it is I made. I would never just make a pan of brownies for fun because you know what, I would eat ALL of them.

I know this about myself and would not put myself in that situation (ahem, Miranda). Not okay. I don't want do this to myself. But I am not going to say I have or have not done this before. So therefore, the only time I will make something is if I am bringing it somewhere. But hey, that's not going to stop me from licking the bowl! Those calories never count anyway.

Another reason I do not bake is because I simply don't like the clean up involved with cooking/baking. Also, my apartment gets too warm with the oven on. Although I do not use my real oven I do have a toaster oven that I use quite often, but I also have several no-bake go-to's that I often make when I have to bring something to work or to a party. All I need for those is a microwave which suits me just fine. The clean up for these sucks too, but at least my apartment doesn't get too warm. And I must say, they are just as delicious as baked goods and people always love them. These are some of my favorite things to make for a party or to bring somewhere.

1. Puppy Chow. This has been a favorite of mine since grade school. Puppy Chow is the slang name for Chex Muddie Buddies. The recipe is on the box of pretty much every box of Chex and is absolutely delicious. I mean when you combine chocolate and peanut butter you CANNOT go wrong. Ever. I once brought this to a football tailgate and everyone was clamoring to find Ziplock bags to hoard it and sneak it into the stadium. Success!
I have also seen different variations on Pinterest (cake batter, lemon, Nutella, etc...) that I want to try in the near future. And if they suck, I can always go back to my old stand-by.

Recipe gist: Melt butter, chocolate and pb. Stir in vanilla. Mix in Chex until covered. Put in giant Ziplock and add powdered sugar. Shake until all Chex are covered. Pour on cookie sheet lined with wax paper to cool. Store in Ziplock bag.

2. Chocolate Orgasm balls. Although the name might be a little inappropes, you will forget about it once you wrap your lips around these chocolate balls. Yes, I went there. But seriously, these are amazing. And made with a combination that might sound gross (cream cheese and Oreos), but is so incredible when all is said and done. People are always hesitant to try them but when they do, they are always a hit. Always.

Recipe gist: Crush Oreos as much as you can (in food processor or put in Ziplock bag and crush with rolling pin over and over). Mix them with room temperature block cream cheese until all evenly mixed. Roll into balls and put on waxed cookie sheet. Refrigerate until hard.  Melt chocolate and dip rolled balls in chocolate and place on waxed cookie sheet. Add sprinkles for decoration. Place in fridge again until cool.

3. M&M chocolate pretzels. Probably the easiest of all these recipes and also can be made festive for holidays depending on M&M colors used. All you do is get the round pretzels, melt chocolate (white or regular) to put in the middle, and top with one M&M. Easy. Cute. And tastes great.

Recipe gist: Place pretzels on wax paper/non-stick foil lined cookie sheet. Melt chocolate and gently add to center of each pretzel with a spoon. While still melty, add one M&M to the center and refrigerate until hardened.

4. Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats. I got this variation of the regular Rice Krispie treat off Pinterest. And they were so good. I love the taste of cake batter, especially Funfetti, so the addition of the cake mix to the recipe is brillz. (I also saw a Nutella version on Pinterest as well that I hope to try to make in the near future.)

Recipe gist: Melt butter and marshmallows. Add cake batter mix until completely mixed in. Add Rice Krispies and mix until covered. Pour into cake pan and cover with sprinkles. Let cool.

All of these recipes are pretty easy, have minimal ingredients, and are always a hit at any party where I bring them. People will be amazed they are no-bake and still taste so fabulous. So with summer coming, keep your ovens off and try one of these. They are really great and will make you super popular at your party.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment