Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pin on my friends

Have you joined Pinterest yet? What are you waiting for? Your invitation? That's right, you need an invitation to join. You can't just sign up and begin pinning like a madwoman (or madman) just quite yet. You have to patiently wait until you get your email to join and then you can start your new obsession.

What is Pinterest you may ask? Well its basically an online pinboard for everything imagineable...cooking/baking, clothes, travel locales, hobbies, wedding ideas, books, movies...basically anything imagineable. And let me tell you, my imagination is going a little wild. I have pinboards for stuff I want to bake, clothes and shoes I wear (and wish I could afford to buy), hairstyles, gifts I want, vacation spots, inspirational quotes, etc... If I was reasonably close to having a wedding or if I had kids, I would def have pinboards for each of those topics too. There are really some great ideas on there for everything. But for the time being, I am trying to be relatively realistic in what I pin in the hopes I actually do use try it one day. But really, what am I trying to prove to myself?

**Do I cook? Nope, but I have some great recipes now that I would love to make. (Have I mentioned I have used my oven twice since living in my current apartment? And yes, I have been here for three years.) I am very realistic about recipes I pin in hopes that one day in the very near future I will actually try it. I do not pin anything with tons of ingredients or steps or that seem to require a big time commitment. I do however, kinda, sorta want to get a crock pot because its seems like there are tons of easy, yummy recipes I could use with it.

**Do I bake? Hmmm...sometimes. Well, I actually wouldn't call it baking. I have some great no-bake desserts I make on occasion that are always hits. Chocolate Orgasm Balls. Amazing. Puppy Chow. Incredible. Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats. Yum Yum. And I have found many more delicious looking no bake recipe that are more my speed that I def intend on trying. You see, I don't mind the baking itself (well, thats a lie. I hate how hot my apt gets when the oven is on...the two times I used it), its the cleaning that I don't enjoy at all. Even though I don't really cook and bake, I love looking at pictures of food and seeing different recipes that I could potentially try.

**Do I paint my nails? Nope. But have I found some really awesome nail artwork I would love to try? Of course. Maybe one of these days I will give it a whirl. Some of these put my Sally Hanson Salon Effects to shame. But even with those, I maybe use them about once every 4 months or so. If I didn't love biting my nails so much, and hate the taste of nail polish, maybe I would give this a real go. Priorities, priorities.

**Do I ever really "do" my hair? No. But this one is not necessarily for lack of trying. I will blow dry and flat iron on occasion and sometimes with success. But I can't fight the frizz and I get frustrated and end up putting it in a ponytail. My hard work often goes down the drain. However, I love fun french braids. I really do. And I wish I knew how to braid. I have tried and tried, but to no avail. If I knew how to braid, I would do my hair differently and pretty all the time. This is a fact. Ugh, I really need to try to learn again.

**Do I make a lot of money? Nope.
             -Can I afford Louboutins? Or Manolos? Nope. But does that stop me from adding them to my fashion pinboard? Of course not. It's another wish list. Along with expensive dresses that I can't afford and would never fit my body. These boards are actually kind of a combination of what I wish I could wear and stuff that I do actually own. It's all my style even if its not all in the budget.
          -Can I afford a house? Nope. But one day I will. Hopefully even more than one house. And boy do I have dreams for this house. Wrap around porch. Pool. Finished basement. Home Theater. Gorgeous functional kitchen. I have seen far too many episodes of MTV Cribs that have set my expectations high. But hey, a girl can dream!
          -Can I afford to travel around the world? Nope. But when I can, the world will be my oyster. I love tropical beach destinations and crystal clear water. Point me in that direction and I am a happy camper. And throw in the luxury. And you know what, lets not stop there. European tour. Yes please. African Safari. Most def. Let's make it happen.

**Am I crafty? Actually yes! But unfortch I don't have the time or money to make all the crafts I would like. There are some really great ideas for the home. Just clever stuff I want to try. Some doable, some not so much but worth a try at some point. Good thing there is now a Michaels in NYC. (And they give teacher discounts. Yipeee.)

One thing I have not created a pinboard for is my future wedding. I have heard of girls who have no boyfriends that have marriage pinboards with rings they like, dresses they want, and all other kinds of wedding ideas. This is a little cray-cray to me and almost kind of bad luck. Not gonna lie, I have browsed a bit, and know exactly what I would and wouldn't pin for this category. But for those that are planning weddings, this really is a fantastic place to gather ideas. I certainly hope its still around when that time comes for me. Whenever that may be. <sigh>

As you can see, there are a lot of things I want to have and want to be able to do, but time, money, and skill do not necessarily permit it. I guess this is the magic of Pinterest. I mean, yes its a digital pinboard for yourself to gather ideas and to share them with your friends. But its also a sort of giant wish list. And what's so bad about that? It has inspired me to make a few purchases and try a few new things I may not have tried otherwise. I will continue pinning to my little heart's desire and it will hopefully make me a more creative and experimental person. Pin on my friends. Pin on.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on the wedding thing - I always see cute stuff but I'm too afraid to start a wedding pinboard because I think it's bad luck too! However I do have some "secret" wedding pins "hidden" within my other boards, lol!

    ReplyDelete