Friday, April 6, 2012

Hello Again Central Park!

Now that I am back on the healthy track, I have started my morning routine of running in Central Park again before work. Yes! There is just something so therapeutic and refreshing about starting out my day with a nice run in the park. It energizes me for the day and gives my body the endorphins that it craves. Really, my body craves these. On days where I don't work out, I am a little more irritable and have a hard time sleeping. And I don't have that little pep in my step that makes me me. My body needs to burn off this extra energy. I tend to be a little hyper so my workouts mellow me out for the day and get rid of that built up of energy.

Because I am a woman of habit, I go at pretty much the exact time every morning and go the same route to the park and in the park. Sometimes I get wild and crazy and go the opposite direction while running the loop. Woohoo. I really live it up. But because I do go practically the same time and route every morning I see the a lot of the same faces.

With this renewed excitement to work out again, its like I am noticing some things for the first time again.  They were always there and I know I used to recognize them all the time. I am super observant and pride myself in this, but there are things that I really enjoy about my runs and then some things that just puzzle me or even irritate me (mostly for no good reason except that I am super judgemental). During a run around Central Park you see runners of all shapes and sizes and speeds, and there is always something that catches my eye, either for the right or wrong reason. So on any given day, especially recently, this is...

What annoys me:
1) Women that run with their hair down. All I have to say to this is "Eeeew." That is all. Well, not really. But really, how can you run with your hair touching the back of your neck? Sweating...sticking... gross. Get a ponytail holder and headband and call it a day. Okay, that is all.

2) Men that run in running tight capris. I don't mind a man in running tights or even bike/tri shorts, but there is just something about running capris that doesn't sit well with me. They are super effeminate looking. Ick.  You are men, make a decision: Do you want shorts or pants? You don't get to go in between here. Sorry gents.

3) People that you see every morning that you know recognize you and you recognize them, and you don't acknowledge each other. Maybe because I grew up in the suburbs and when you went for a run and passed someone, you always put up a hand hello. said "Hi" or "Good morning",  or even gave a head nod, this spoiled me for general common courtesy of runners. But even when I am in Florida and running the mean streets of Boca Raton every year, there are greetings of runners. I guess in the city its different because you aren't going to acknowledge everyone you pass because that would be straight up crazy, but your regulars should get a nod or something. Maybe I am just too perky in the morning?

4) Women that run with sports bras that are clearly not supportive enough. This really shouldn't bother me, but rather should bother these women. How can they not feel their boobs bouncing all over the place? And how the hell is this not painful for you? It's painful for me watching you. Coming from a girl who wears TWO sports bras when she runs, I make sure those suckers are strapped down as much as possible (to the point where I have scars from chafing over and over again...TMI??) so get that situation under control.

What I am loving:
1) Compression Socks. Not only do I love the way high socks look as a fashion statement, these socks are also functional. I am seeing more and people rocking these (and calf sleeves) lately and I am digging it. I have a pair of these bad boys and they really do work. Blood flow is increased and muscle soreness is not as big of an issue after a long run. Plus, they come in all kinds of cool colors. Shockingly enough, I have plain black, and not some obnoxious bright color as one would expect from me, but I do love them. ( I don't trust myself with white.) I just wish they weren't so damn expensive. $50 for socks! But apparently us New Yorker runners don't mind dropping that kind of dough on socks.

2) Fluorescents. I was ahead of my time with all the fluorescents I wear and have been wearing the past few years.  Someone took my cue and now they are everywhere. Seriously, when did fluorscents become so popular again? Neon orange. Hot pink. Highlighter yellow. I love every second of it.

3) People singing aloud to their music. I love running past people who are really feeling it. I do it on occasion and it pumps me up. And really, how often can you let loose like that every once and a while? I mean, I do it more often that I would like to admit in my apartment (single dance party anyone?), but sometimes there is nothing like belting out your favorite song while really hitting your stride (but NOT at the gym. I HATE that!!) while pounding the pavement. I rock out my Britney, Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj like no other.

4) The smell. With the flowers blooming and the temperature hovering between about 45-55 lately early in the morn, this is just the perfect combination. You can almost smell summer in the air and the aroma is so fresh. Additionally, because I am out there so early in the morn, there are so few cars driving in the park, you almost forget they are allowed. I like to take a deep breath and really forget I am in such a busy city during this time. What a great way to start the day. 

Central Park is one of the greatest places on Earth to run. I do get sick of it from time to time (I mean, how many times can you run the loops?), but on other occasions, I really, genuinely feel lucky to be able to run in it whenever I can. My close proximity to the park is something that I do NOT take for granted and really appreciate. Sometimes it takes a nice long break to really get into it again, but man, I am enjoying myself right now.

4 comments:

  1. you were def first on the neons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! When everyone was in black, whites, and grey, there I was in hot pink. Always stylin'

      Delete
  2. Quite lucky to run in Central Park everyday. Wish it was down the street from me! Glad you don't take that for granted...quite quite lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What annoys me

    5) jog skirts. Come on!!! No need to be cute when you're working out. Period. And they aren't even cute. They are awful.

    ReplyDelete