Friday, April 13, 2012

"Real" Couples

Many TV shows have couples who have been married for a long time. Some are odd matches that you would never expect in real life. Usually a cute skinny woman and a shlumpy guy. Yet they have a pretty successful marriage even though occasional shenanigans occur. Then there are the couples on Reality TV shows. These are real marriages being filmed for our viewing pleasure. Now even though this is Reality television, we all know that so much of it is staged. There are always rumors in the tabloids about trouble in paradise behind the scenes, but its usually a love-fest when the camera rolls with the occasional bickering. And if there is fighting, its part of the "storyline" of the show. Regardless if they start in love, we watch them fall in love, or we watch them live out their love, these are some of my favorite reality TV couples.

1) Guiliana and Bill Rancic. If you don't watch this show, you are missing out. In its third season, Guiliana and Bill on the Style Network is really a fantastic show. These two are the real deal. Their love seems so genuine and they really do look like best friends. If you don't know who they are, Bill Rancic won the first ever Apprentice and Guiliana is one of the hosts of E! News. They met at an event and fell in love. They have such a playful relationship where you can see there is so much love and respect between them. And I can't help but love when she calls him by his last name. "Hey Rancic...come here." It's great. They are lovers and pals and I am really envious of the relationship they have. With all of the traumatic events Guiliana has been through in the last few months with miscarriages, failed attempts at in vitro, and her most recent bout with breast cancer, Bill has been by her side supporting and loving her. There really is no doubt that these two will last a lifetime together. I want a relationship just like theirs.

2) Khloe and Lamar Odom. Nobody thought this marriage would last. They dated for about a month before they got married and two years later they are still together. The tabloids have recently reported Khloe and Lamar are having some marital issues because of Lamar's trade from LA to Dallas and Khloe's problems getting pregnant but I really think the love between these two is real. (Kim is sooo jealous with their successful relationship and that brings a smile to my face as well.) Khloe has always been my favorite Kardashian and I would love to be friends with her. (My only complaint about them is that Khloe's often speaks in a baby voice when she talks with Lamar. I HATE when women talk in baby voices. It drives me insane. And any sane man should hate it too. Okay, I said my peace with that.) With that being said, Khloe has similar taste in men as myself and I really think that her and Lamar are infatuated with each other. I am not gonna lie, I didn't think they would last as long as they did, but I really believe they are in love with each other and its for real. I hope they do last and that the rumors aren't true. I also hope Khloe does get pregnant and they have a cute little family together.

3) Bill Klein and Jen Arnold. These two are on The Little Couple on TLC. I don't often watch this show, but I will occasionally get sucked into marathons and they really are adorable. Bill and Jen are both quite intellectual and have real jobs outside of the entertainment business. They really complement each other and I hope they also get the baby they are hoping for.  Because their show is on TLC, I wouldn't call them reality stars and I think that's why their marriage is so successful. They aren't in the spotlight and seem to prefer it that way.

4) Caroline and Albert Manzo. My favorite couple from pretty much all of the Real Housewives series', these two just seem like they have been through it all together.  There is very little drama between them and they stay out of other's drama as well as best as they can. (As best as anyone in any Housewives show can.) Additionally, I love the family dynamic with their children. The relationships they have with their kids reminds me of how I often interact with my family. The kids want to spend time with their parents and enjoy being around them. Good work Manzos. I wish you many more years of health and happiness.

And just because I feel like it, my LEAST favorite reality TV couples who I honestly can't believe are still together (and wish they would break up already) are:
1) Heidi and Spencer (The Hills)
2) Slade and Gretchen (RHOOC)
 
All I can say is eeew, eeew, and eeew. Get off and stay off my TV. Thanks. You will never be in my good graces.

It's hard for couples on Reality TV shows to last and stay together and the couples I listed above have done it and hopefully will continue to do it no matter when the cameras stop. Hopefully there will be no Newleyweds or Jon and Kate curse on any of them. I doubt it, but as long as they remain real and true to themselves and their partners, nothing should tear them apart. That's was real love is about anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment