Thursday, July 26, 2012

My Fave Inventions

So let's talk about those things in our lives that have improved our lives tenfold. Those things that now that we have them, wonder what the heck we did before they existed. Sure, we coped because we didn't realize that something out there was so great. And now that they are in our lives, we are definitely living life much, much better. Most of those things might be completely useless to someone else, but to you, they made such a positive difference. These are "inventions" that have entered my life in the past ten years or so that I now can't imagine not having. Some of these are obviously more important than others to me but nonetheless, they have improved my quality of life so, so much. So for me, five things that have entered my life now that I simply can't imagine not having are...

1) DVR. Need I say more? I cannot live without my DVR. I mean, I rarely watch any TV live anymore. Even if I have nothing to do during showtime, I will purposely do something for the first 10 minutes of a half hour show or twenty minutes of an hour show, so I can then watch it in full with zero commercials. I have it down to a science. I also now watch much more TV than I should because of this. It makes it so easy. I honestly don't know how I lived so long taping things on VHS tapes with everything I watched back then too. Although I love my DVR and its the best $10 I spend every month, I do wish I had one where I could DVR more than two things AND watch something else though. A girl can dream, can't she?

2) Portable Single Baby Wipes. Sometimes you just need one wipe and you don't want to carry a big pack with you. That can take up room in your purse and be embarrassing to carry. These personal, portable wipes are convenient and easy to hide. With my stomach the way it had been with my Ulcerative Colitis, these portable single wipes were clutch for me. Especially in places with rough TP. I mean single ply, really? Ugh. I had these wipes stashed in every purse/bag I had and they came along everywhere. Now that my tummy is better (Phew!!), I still keep them with me just in case. You just never know. 

3) Individual Juice Powder Packets. Like Crystal Light or Sugar-Free Kool Aid powders. These are portable. They are single serving. They are great when water just doesn't cut it. And they are only like five calories. Score. When I don't need/want to make a whole pitcher, these are the key. And if different people want different flavors, its also great because I usually have more than like four flavors in my apartment at one time. They are great too as alcohol mixers. We all know we don't want any more calories than necessary when drinking.

4) A Flatiron. Before the year 2000, I would try, with no avail, to straighten my curly, frizzy hair. Sure it would be straight for maybe like ten minutes and then poof, it would be gross again.  When I was a freshman in college, one of my roommates had something called a flatiron. I had never seen or heard of one before. She let me try it on my blown out hair, and like magic, my hair was so much flatter and straighter, and way less frizzy. What was this miracle and why had I never even heard of it before? Not even at the salon had this been brought to my attention. Of course I felt bad always borrowing hers and finally purchased my own. From that point on, I have had much better hair days.

5) Cell Phone cameras. Seriously, what did people do before these? Did we carry real cameras with us? Um, yeah, we most def did. How did we survive without putting some pictures (or even videos) directly on Facebook or directly texting or emailing them? How spoiled are we in 2012? It really was a great invention to put the camera right on the cell phone and over the years the quality of the camera has improved so much and you can even edit right on the phone now. Brillz. What will they think of next? I for one, can't wait to see.

(I do wish however, I knew how to transfer the pics from my iPhone directly to my computer by hooking it up. So any help in that area would be awesome!!)

Now that I have told you five great inventions that I love, think about yours. What are they? Can you imagine life now not having them? Sure you can, right? But it wouldn't be nearly as good. I am sure in the next five years, or even the next year, something else awesome will be brought to my attention and improve my life again. I can't wait to see what that may be. Bring it! 

1 comment:

  1. Love them all! Your writing is fabulous, outstanding, entertaining, and always give me a little chuckle. Keep up the creativity and enthusiasm in your expression!

    ReplyDelete