Monday, December 31, 2012

Hey, I'm on vacay!

I was just home in Chicago for the past week for my winter vacation and as per usual it was great. It was the first time I have been home since July so it had clearly been way too long. I love, love, love going home and being with my family for some many reasons; it's the best.

When I am home, there are many things that I do (or don't do) because I am usually on vacation and therefore feel I can do whatever I want and because I can't necessarily do them on a normal basis in NYC. This winter break, there were quite a few things I did that I haven't done in a very long time. Below are some of the things I did at home this past week I rarely to never do in NYC, if ever, anywhere.

1) Skipped workouts. Hey, I'm on vacation so if I want to just lay on the couch all day long in sweatpants, I can. There's snow on the ground and temps are low which means this is not the best running weather for a person with little motivation at the moment. And did I mention I was on vacay? This means I don't have to anything I don't want to, right? But seriously, this has been the longest stretch of not working out since before I started training for the marathon. As much as I do find running and spinning therapeutic and do actually enjoy it most of the time, if I have to force myself to do it, it loses its fun-ness. (Yes, I really just used that word.) This week off will hopefully give my legs the rest they need and I will come back faster and stronger.

2) Ate Taco Bell. This was actually the first time I have eaten Taco Bell since college. That's a looong time. And you know what, it was freaking good. And it didn't go right through me (if you know what I mean?) which was a relief. I know fast food isn't good for me, and I maybe eat it once a year, usually at an airport or when I am hungover (and sometimes those two things overlap), but it is always so tempting to me.  Although cheap and delicious, fast food always leaves me with a sense of guilt that I know it shouldn't have.

3) Went to an iIllini basketball game with a home crowd.
In a word: Awesome! I love sports more than most girls and usually end up watching most Illinois basketball and football games (and Bears games) alone in my apartment. The Illini have and always will be my favorite team, win or lose. Going to an Illini basketball game with a home crowd and being part of the sea of orange is just such awesome experience. Going to this game made me miss Chicago more than ever and how much being around people who went to the same school as me and all cheering for same team is so much fun. Additionally, I went to this game with my dad which added to its specialness. I miss watching sports with him, live or side by side on the couch yelling at the TV.

4) I drove. I miss driving sometimes. It unrealistic (and terrifying) for me to drive in NYC but when I am home and can drive, I love it. I crank the radio up and sing to myself. And sometimes I really rock out. My mom's car also has the 90's XM station so I occasionally get some awesome songs from my high school days. Hearing those songs while behind the wheel driving in my hometown really brings me back to my youth. Ah, to be young again.

5) Ate numerous chopped salads. You would think NYC, with all its food glory would be able to provide me with a suitable chopped salad. But nope. So I try to get my fill when I am home. Wildfire...check. Portillos...check. Love them. Chicken, avocado, corn, tomatoes, etc... And yummy dressing FTW.

I probably won't be home again until March, if that, but I already can't wait. I love my life in New York, but sometimes its great to just get away to my childhood home and be with my family. Just as there are many, many things I do in NYC that I can't do in Chicago, the things I do at home are just as great. Until next time Chi-town...

No comments:

Post a Comment