Monday, December 3, 2012

Teach me, teach me how to...(dance)

In case you have lived in a cave the last month or so, you probably have heard of Korean superstar PSY. What? You haven't heard of him? Yikes. What planet do you live on? Anyway, PSY has become the creator the newest dance craze (and hit song) to take America by storm, Gangnam Style. Seriously folks. C'mon now. The man and his song and dance are everywhere. His video actually just earned the most hits on YouTube EVER! That's huge. For realz.

Since I love to dance and show off all my sweet dance moves at any opportunity I can get, I am always excited when a new craze occurs, so of course Gangnam Style was no different. Hearing it (over and over) made me take a little trip down memory lane of all the other dance crazes and songs that have come and gone. (Few have actually really had great staying power.) Starting with the newest one and current hit, here is a list of other dance crazes I have loved and learned over the years. 

1. Gangnam Style. I wish I understood Korean so I knew what he was actually saying, but since I don't, I guess I just can continue to appreciate the beat. I do wonder how long this will last and if PSY will be a one hit wonder. My bet: Yes.
2. Electric Slide. An oldy but a goody. One of the first original dance crazes that entered my life. It's still a must at any wedding or bar/bat mitvah and don't fight me on that. It has to be done. Doing this dance is like riding a bike, one never forgets.
3. Macarena. I cannot believe this was ever popular. I remember doing it at Bar and Bat Mitzvah's back in the day and it got old, real fast. It's pretty lame. However, I always surprise myself if I happen to hear it, I remember the moves almost instantly. Then I get bored in about 20 seconds.
4. Cha-Cha Slide. One of my favorite of the group dances. I get so excited when it plays at the prom every year. (Don't be jealous that I chaperone that shit every year!) This one is actually the easiest because the song tells you exactly what to do. It's essentially dummy proof.
5. Crank That (Soldier Boy). I am not gonna lie, I watched this video again and again when it first came out so I could get the moves just right. And you know what? I nailed it each time. This white girl can def get down. And I even brought this dance all the way to Israel and spread my hip-hopness around the globe.
6. The Dougie. Teach me how to dougie, teach me, teach me how to dougie. Teach me how to dougie, teach me, teach me how to dougie. This song gets stuck in your head and for those that can "get light" its pretty great. Otherwise I can only do parts of the dance as my body does not move in certain ways. I wish it did though!
Honorable Mention: Single Ladies (Beyonce). I am not embarrassed or ashamed to say that one day my mom and I watched the YouTube video over and over again and practiced the routine in our living room. We worked up a sweat dancing. Yes, we are real winners.
How many of these do you know? How many of these do you participate in if the song comes on? How many of these did you actually want to watch again and pick up some of the moves? Don't kid yourself. You know you wanted to. I mean, I don't often ever turn down an opportunity to do a group dance. Even if I am alone. Maybe that's why I don't have a "ring on it" already. Hmmm...

3 comments:

  1. Electric slide = #1 all time favorite forever... also "hands up baby hands up gimme your heart gimme gimme"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, Love, Love that one. Can't believe I forgot it! Thanks Erin!!

    ReplyDelete