Friday, November 16, 2012

I love a good DILF

Recently, Thought Catalog posted an article titled "The Hottest Dads on TV." I pretty much disagreed with most of the dads that made their list but understood why there were there. Everyone has different taste in men after all. In my opinion, for a TV dad to be hot, he has to be an attentive father and be good looking, right? Those are by far the two most important components one would think. But sometimes other factors come into play either by the actor himself or the role he plays that makes the TV dad so hot. It could be the connection with his wife and kids. It could be his job on the show. It could be his witty sense of humor. Or it could just be some strange random attraction that is unexplainable. Sometimes, there are even some TV dads I would go as far as calling TV DILFs. (If you have no idea what I mean by DILF, then maybe you should stop reading. No, no! Just kidding, I would never want anyone to stop reading, but seriously, get with it. A DILF is a "Dad I'd Like to Fuck." Duh.)

Many TV shows have dorky dads (i.e Danny Tanner on Full House). Old dads (i.e Jay Pritchett on Modern Family). Ugly dads. But some TV shows actually have dads that I wouldn't mind dating or eventually ending up with. Some in real life, some not so much. In real life though, I would not consider dating someone that is a dad. Baggage. At my age, I think I still have the right to be choosey about this and don't have to settle for someone divorced or with child. It just seems like a lot to process for me at this age. Some might call it close-minded and too picky for someone that is 30 and still single, but for now, that is how I feel about that. But enough about my ridiculous standards for men, lets get back to these TV dads. Below are some dads that I really do find attractive even though they are, gasp, dads.  So here it goes, my list of TV's DILF's...

1) Eric Taylor. (Friday Night Lights). Let me start this list with my favorite TV dad of all, Coach Eric Taylor. I love everything about this man. He has the looks, the charm, the accent, the football, and treats his wife and kids with respect. What's not to like about him? 
 
2) Christopher Hayden  (Gilmore Girls). Did you even know his last name was Hayden? Probably not. Even I had to look that one up. Chris wasn't the most responsible or the most involved father, but he was damn hot. Rory definitely had fox as a father. I guess that's because he wasn't that old (him and Lorelei had Rory when they were teens) and he kept his good looks as he got a bit older.

3) Dan Conner. (Roseanne). Yes, he's overweight and is a blue collar guy, but I just find him so sexy. I don't know what it is. Maybe because he was a Bulls and Bears fan? But probably because Dan's great sense of humor. A good sense of humor always gets me. Also, him and Roseanne, although not the wealthiest or classiest couple, really seemed to have genuine love for each other. I also loved Dan's relationship with Darlene when she was younger and before she became a loner goth. Their shared interest in sports reminded me a lot of my relationship with my dad. 

4) Tim Taylor (Home Improvement). Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor. Argh, Argh, Argh. Although totally clumsy and somewhat ridiculous, Tim was adorable. He doted on his sons and even on his wife Jill in a very funny and caring manner. I'd build a hot rod with him any day.
5) Joel Graham (Parenthood.) Okay, he's not totally a main character on the show, but Joel is the man. He is stay at home dad who is okay with his wife being the breadwinner.  He is also so cute. And the way he is with his new adopted son and how much he tries to make him feel party of the family is amazing. (And if you are still one of those people not tuning into Parenthood every Tues, you are missing out on a wonderful show.)

Honorable Mention: Bill Cosby. (The Cosby Show) There was no physical attraction to Bill but he was just such a fantastic dad and a phenomenal husband. While watching him and Clair (Phylicia Rashad) on TV, its so amazing to me they were not a real couple in real life. They just seemed to be genuinely in love with each other. I think it was more of a mutual respect combined with witty writing and great acting ability, but it was incredible. Who didn't want to be party of the Cosby family too? When Cliff would rub Claire's feet? Or the family would put on skits?

Who's your favorite TV dad? Is he actually an attractive man or is the role he plays that makes him so attractive? Would you actually be attracted to him in real life? Am I weird for having this list and even thinking about DILF's? Nah. Never weird.

1 comment: