Friday, January 27, 2012

Word to Your Mother

While home visiting my parents recently I was able to get behind the wheel of a car again to drive. Always a treat since I NEVER drive in NYC. Since I only drive when I am home, I love to run errands and stuff and of course blast the radio and sing out loud to myself. My mom has XM radio in her car so instead of listening to my usual, I was able to listen to the 90's station. I didn't realize how incredible it really was.  There were so many songs that came on that I still remembered all the words to. More than I'd like to admit actually. Songs that bring me back to middle school and high school but def classics and ones that were played over and over again, some that I even had cassette single to.Yeah, that's right, cassette singles. Some of the my fave hits of the 90's that I particularly remember listening to over and over again are below...

1. Ice Ice Baby, Vanilla Ice. This song gave us white kids street cred. Still does. And its also a great karaoke song to perform to because really, who didn't know almost all the words to this? Word to your mother.


2. Greenday, Basketcase. I wasn't a skater or a goth, but I still liked Greenday. Not so strange, right? They were pretty mainstream whether they wanted to be or not. When this song came on at Bar and Bat Mitzvah's, everyone went nuts. Some of the boys even started moshing. We were that crazy. Ha!
3. Stay, Lisa Loeb. Even though I have never seen the movie Reality Bites from start to finish, I knew (and still know) this song by heart. I would play it over and over again and never got sick of it. Lisa really hit that soft spot of a broken heart.
4. Ironic, Alanis Morissette. The song and the video really put Alanis on the map. And the lyrics spoke to us all. And even taught some people what the word ironic really meant.
5. Spiderwebs, No Doubt. I don't really know what happened to rest of No Doubt, but Gwen Stefani did pretty well for herself. I was never a fan of hers at all, but I did like some stuff of their first CD and that was it. This song is def a keeper though.
The music of the 90's is pretty classic. And obviously each song brings me back to a different memory. Listening to the XM radio 90's station is not something I could listen to all day, everyday, but it quite a treat sometimes. Lets me take a trip right down memory lane. I can't wait until ten years from now when there is the station of the 2000's. Woohoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment