Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Blessing and a Curse

Pretty much everyone I know is on Facebook. Not everyone is that active, but they go on enough to know what is going on in other people's lives. I have no shame in admitting I check Facebook quite often. I like knowing what's going on in the lives of those I use to be very close to not to mention the usual FB stalking and creeping. Duh. Whether or not our real friendships ended (on good terms or bad) or we are actually friends in real life, I will periodically check your page to see what's new if you once were someone I was close to. I can't help it. Having Facebook can sometimes be a blessing and curse. There are so many pros and cons to Mark Zuckerberg's monster. So much so that the things we love so much about Facebook are the very things we hate. Behold...
PROS:
1) You can see what all your friends from high school and college look like and what they do
Who is fat? Who is married (and/or divorced) already? Who didn't graduate college? Who still lives at home? Basically, who does it appear you have better life than?
2) You can easily stalk your ex's pictures (that is if they haven't defriended you)
Has he upgraded? Is he still single? Is his new gf totally uggs? 
3) You can stalk your crushes pictures (assuming you are friends)
Damn he looks good. You know how he would look better? With me on his arm. Booyah.

CONS:
1) You can see what all your friends from high school and college look like and what they do
Who is lost all that weight? Who is happily married? Who has kids already? Who has an awesome job? Basically, whose life seems totally better than yours right now?
2) You can easily stalk your ex's pictures 
He totally has a new girlfriend. She is super ugly. Downgrade. They are going on vacations together. They will probably get engaged soon. Even though I ended it and have moved on, I wanted to be first to get a new relationship. 
3) You can stalk your crushes pictures.
Who is that girl he is with in all those pictures? Damn, he looks so cute. Ah, is that where he goes all the time...maybe I need to start going there. Hehe.

As of right now, I still believe that the pros outweigh the cons. You have to take some things people post on Facebook with a grain of salt. If they are smart, they only post pictures that are super flattering and of the good things that are happening in their lives. Not so much as to rub anything in, but to keep everyone else informed that they are indeed awesome. Most people want to appear that they have it all. Or least virtually. (Unless you are the person that constantly complains and wants sympathy posts. Ugh. FB isn't the place!) With all that being said, I like knowing what's going on in the people of my past's life.  There are people that I was once very close with and honestly like to see what they are up to today since I don't still live in my hometown and most of my friends do. And obviously if I I am back home and run into a Facebook friend and partake in the usual smalltalk, I pretend I don't know that much about them, after all, I am not a total Facebook stalker. Only to a select few. Don't wanna give too much away...

No comments:

Post a Comment