Thursday, January 12, 2012

The Dirty 30!

Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday to me. Happy Birthday dear... Yeah, yeah. Ugh, it's my birthday. The dirty 30. I guess I need to change the age in my "About Me" section, huh? I am kind of in denial to do so, so I don't know if I can right now. And forget about entering it on the elliptical on my workout this morn. Maybe I will just keep entering 29 for a little while longer. Hmmm?

I don't know why I have such negative connotation with my 30th birthday. I think it's because I feel 30 is old. And I am NOT old!! I hear 30 is the new 21, and I am really trying to embrace that, so I'll just have to play it by ear. You see the thing is, I don't feel 30. At all. I feel like I am 23 (and sometimes act like it). I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but its the truth.

When I was younger, I had these grand plans for myself for when I "grew up." I thought by the time I was 30, I'd be married, with at least one kid and potentially another on the way, living comfortably in the suburbs teaching at the very high school I went to. Pretty fabulous life I had planned for myself, right?

Well, I am not even close to that prediction. My life has taken a very different direction. Instead, I am living alone, in New York City, with no romantic prospects. I do have a lot of other things going for me though so I am not complaining. I am super happy with my life here and wouldn't want things that much different. Although my original prediction has not come true YET, there are so many things that I have accomplished by now that I never even imagined happening: Living in NYC. Earning two master's degrees. Running five marathons. And the list goes on. I am very proud of these things and they definitely contribute to who I have become today. I wouldn't change much if I had to go back and do it all again. And I know I still have time to get the husband, have the kids, and live the typical suburban family lifestyle. And I am not going to do it by lowering my expectations by any means although I know the clocks-a-ticken'. And that's what freaks me out I think.

I am hoping, and have a good feeling, that this year is going to be a great one. On to bigger and better in my thirties. With older age comes more beauty, more experiences, and more fun! My future is very bright (and not because there are now more candles on the cake) and I am excited for what lies ahead. Bring it 30! I'm ready for you...I think!

1 comment:

  1. The thirties are a fantastic decade -- say good bye to all that 20-something angst. You're young, good looking, free, solvent, healthy. You have self confidence and a real career. You know who you are and what you want.... have adventures, travel, flirt, crush, workout hard, play hard ... I think you should say goodbye and good riddance to the insecurities, timidity, confusion, bad choices and poverty of your 20s! xoS

    ReplyDelete