Friday, January 6, 2012

Represent. What-What!

If you had two words to describe me, they would obviously be "So Hood." Obvs. Since I live in NYC and teach in Harlem, I have legitimate street cred. All day, everyday. Kidding. As a white, Jewish girl from the suburbs, I am certainly not a gangsta in any sense of the word; however, I do love my Hip-hop/Rap music. Long before my move to the big bad city, I was just your normal run-of-the-mill chica who listened to Hip-Hop and Rap. That and pop music were what filled my mix tapes and CD's. (I know, totally random combo!) I enjoyed the likes of Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys with Tupac and Biggie. Of course many of us suburban kids thought we were much tougher and cooler because we listened to this music. But I knew I was tough and cool even without it; this just upped the ante. With that being said, the songs below certainly bring out my "hood side" and I am proud to say I know about 98% of the lyrics to all of these. Represent.

1. Biggie Smalls, "Notorious Thugs." I was introduced to this song on the bus to one of our basketball games in high school by one of my friends who was also into hip-hop. I was mesmerized by its beat and its lyrics. I instantly fell in love with it and learned all the words. Whenever I hear it today it still pumps me up.
2. Tupac, "Hit Em Up." RIP Tupac. (Even though my brother still swears you are alive and living large on some exotic island.) Although the cursing and vulgarness of might keep others away, this one was right up my alley.
3. Warren G, "Regulate." This song was on the sound track to the movie Above the Rim which I was obsessed with for a while. So catchy and if its played I automatically dream of Kyle Wilson. Swoon.
4. Dr. Dre Feat. Snoop, "Nothing but a G-Thang." These are the guys that really made rap more mainstream whether they like it or not. They are both icons today and still churn out the hits.

5. Salt N Pepa,"Whatta Man" AND "Shoop". We can't forget about the ladies of hip-hop and these girls where the ish. They knew how to hold it down and I still LOVE these songs and get super hyped when I hear them played out. I have even been know to Karoake to them. 

Is the hip-hop music today as great as it was in the 90's? Maybe. Some may say even better. With Jay-Z, Kanye, and even Nicki Minaj on the scene, there is still so much great hip-hop music out there. However, nothing will even replace these old classics and the memories I have singing along to them.

1 comment:

  1. "Push It" came on the radio when I was driving. My little sister attempted to change the station. I slapped her hand, turned up the volume, and proceeded to rap every word. I think I may have scarred her for life.

    ReplyDelete